Did hot oil treatment and can't get the oils out of my hair

Bronzedmuse

I did a hot oil treatment with the intent of getting rid of my protein over-load problem. I used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap to wash away the excess oils but it did not soften my hair, it did not even get rid of the oils from my hot oil treatment, instead it made my oil problem worse. I washed my hair several times thinking I was not using enough soap to wash away the oils but the more I washed I began to notice more and more white oily residue as I squeezed my hair until my hands, back and arms and other body parts were covered in this sticky oily white residue. My hair is "sensitive" to protein. Even products with small amount of protein make my hair stiffer and very prone to breakage when my hair is in this state. I had to cut 3-4 inches of hair that was damaged from excess protein last year. My hair was just recovering so nicely from that mistake. TIA

Gigglez5684

WoW, your story sounds just like mine! My hair broke of severely last year due to protein overload also. I had gotten back on track, but was still using some protein figuring i needed it, but then my hair started to break off again just recently. I just got my regimine together and got rid of all the protein conditoners cuz my hair just cant take it, I did some cholesterol deep condition treatments, and hot oil, and my hair has recovered nicely.
I use the Dr.Bronners Peppermint soap too, Im surprised it did get the oil out! WHat kinds of oils were in your hot oil treatment?

Ashee

Bronzedmuse said:
I did a hot oil treatment with the intent of getting rid of my protein over-load problem. I used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap to wash away the excess oils but it did not soften my hair, it did not even get rid of the oils from my hot oil treatment, instead it made my oil problem worse. I washed my hair several times thinking I was not using enough soap to wash away the oils but the more I washed I began to notice more and more white oily residue as I squeezed my hair until my hands, back and arms and other body parts were covered in this sticky oily white residue. My hair is "sensitive" to protein. Even products with small amount of protein make my hair stiffer and very prone to breakage when my hair is in this state. I had to cut 3-4 inches of hair that was damaged from excess protein last year. My hair was just recovering so nicely from that mistake. TIA
Did you rinse it out with warm water?
How about a ACV Rinse? Either way once you rinse then add shampoo, the oily residue should diminish. Maybe you are using too much oil when doing your hot oil treatment. You should have enough to coat the hair nicely. If you find it hard to rinse out, try adding enough as though you are oiling your scalp. Try to be stingy with the oil is what I'm saying...
-HTH :look:

TigerLily

Not familiar with Dr. Bronner's products, so I don't know if his peppermint soap is the same as a clarifying shampoo. If it's not, then I suggest trying one. :)

Bronzedmuse

Gigglez5684 said:
I use the Dr.Bronners Peppermint soap too, Im surprised it did get the oil out! WHat kinds of oils were in your hot oil treatment?

For my hot oil treatment I used a combination of melted shea and cocoa butter, avocado oil, jojoba oil and peppermint eo. The Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap has a lot of glycerin and other oils so maybe it's too oily for washing out other oils.

Bronzedmuse

Ashee said:
Did you rinse it out with warm water?
How about a ACV Rinse? Either way once you rinse then add shampoo, the oily residue should diminish. Maybe you are using too much oil when doing your hot oil treatment. You should have enough to coat the hair nicely. If you find it hard to rinse out, try adding enough as though you are oiling your scalp. Try to be stingy with the oil is what I'm saying...
-HTH :look:

I washed it out with warm water but I didn't try the ACV Rinse. I will definitely try this. I was very heavy handed with the oils I will be a lot more light handed next time and if this doesn't work I will try to clarify. Thank you so much Giggle, Ashee and Tigerlily. Your help is greatly appreciated ladies!!

Ashee

Bronzedmuse said:
I washed it out with warm water but I didn't try the ACV Rinse. I will definitely try this. I was very heavy handed with the oils I will be a lot more light handed next time and if this doesn't work I will try to clarify. Thank you so much Giggle, Ashee and Tigerlily. Your help is greatly appreciated ladies!!
You're so welcomed hun!!
Good Luck!:wave:

Lorraine

I'm so sorry. The same thing happened to me many years ago. A good detangler should work if it ever happens again. Don't worry, your hair will grow back fast, and thicker than ever.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Wow. I have the Dr. Bronner soap and that stuff is very stripping on my skin alone. Anyhoo maybe you should opt for plant-based proteins instead of animal-based protein unless that is a no go for you also.

Ashee

TigerLily said:
Not familiar with Dr. Bronner's products, so I don't know if his peppermint soap is the same as a clarifying shampoo. If it's not, then I suggest trying one. :)
HUGE TANGENT
Tiger..
Who's that dude in your siggy??:eyebrows2

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Bronzedmuse said:
For my hot oil treatment I used a combination of melted shea and cocoa butter, avocado oil, jojoba oil and peppermint eo. The Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap has a lot of glycerin and other oils so maybe it's too oily for washing out other oils.

I don't know how I missed this. When you use oils with that kind of consistency with Dr. Bronner, it turns weird on ya. Some people add oils to the Dr. Bronner to make it less drying. What you need is Suave or Pantene clarifying shampoo. Those shampoos strips grease like nobody's business and then some. So dilute.

Bronzedmuse

Thank you so much ladies for your advice and encouragement:) With all of the great advice I received from you all I was finally able to get out all the oils. My challenge now is to get the stiffness out of my hair and to prevent the breakage due to the stiffness.

Gigglez5684

You should try Dark and Lovely Dry Hair Healer, their Ultra Cholesterol, and their Moisture seal deep conditioner. Those three literally stopped my protein breakage instantly, ive been using them ever since and my hair has completely turned around. I dont think ill be using any protein for awhile. Good Luck!

PinkLily

I love Dr. Bronner's, but I think that "stripped" feeling people feel is really "coating" w/ oil. The soap is oil-based, so I think it really sort of coats your hair w/ oil (thus, trying to wash oil out wouldn't work). That's my take on it. I'd recommend a real clarifying shampoo instead. hth!

ETA: I'm basing my theory on the fact that my hair feels very different when I clarify (strands are squeaky clean) vs. when I use Dr. B's (feels a little strange, but strands are moisturized, not stripped)

Last edited:

Bronzedmuse

Gigglez5684 said:
You should try Dark and Lovely Dry Hair Healer, their Ultra Cholesterol, and their Moisture seal deep conditioner. Those three literally stopped my protein breakage instantly, ive been using them ever since and my hair has completely turned around. I dont think ill be using any protein for awhile. Good Luck!

I will be looking for these 3 products in the BSS. Thank you Gigglez.