Natural Oils and Proteins

MeechUK

MeechUK
I was researching hair oils today and did not realise that most of the oils I use regularly contain protein. I've recently discovers the joys of Camellia Oil and how it makes my hair feel. After using the oil my hair feels as if I have just done a protein treatment, silky, moisturised and strong, and even after moisturising and sealing with water, Camellia and Shea butter, this oil does not leave a greasy residue. It helps my hair to drink these oils. I decided to check whether this oil contained protein, then checked Avocado, Hemp Seed, Jojoba, Mustard, Argan and EVOO. They all contain proteins! This is something that I've never considered before! Oils containing natural proteins.

I've been adding these oils to my DC and have been slacking off the protein treatments. My hair did not need protein because the oils were providing enough. Perhaps this might explain why some ladies think that their hair is protein sensitive, when they are actually experiencing a protein overload?

Last edited:

HauteHippie

Thanks for sharing this. My hair could use a little more protein. You've definitely piqued my interest in Camellia oil.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

chebaby

no wonder my hair always feels strong after using evoo. i love evoo but ran out and havent had the chance to reup on it yet.
i also love love love mhc olive you deep conditioner which is filled with olive oil and butter.

i havent used avocado oil in a long while.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Thanks for sharing this. My hair could use a little more protein. You've definitely piqued my interest in Camellia oil.

Treat yourself and you won't regret it! If possible get the Camellia Japonica, it's from an island in Japan where the women use it to grow their hair longer than they are tall! It's also the best one available. Since I started DCing with heat my breakage and shedding was a few strands. I've been using Camellia Oil for over a week and noticed zero breakage and no shedding!

MeechUK

MeechUK
no wonder my hair always feels strong after using evoo. i love evoo but ran out and havent had the chance to reup on it yet.
i also love love love mhc olive you deep conditioner which is filled with olive oil and butter.

i havent used avocado oil in a long while.

Olive oil has a high protein content and that's why it works so well! Do you do protein treatments?

Last edited:

HauteHippie

Treat yourself and you won't regret it! If possible get the Camellia Japonica, it's from an island in Japan where the women use it to grow their hair longer than they are tall! It's also the best one available. Since I started DCing with heat my breakage and shedding was a few strands. I've been using Camellia Oil for over a week and noticed zero breakage and no shedding!

Oooh, thanks for the tip! In my mind, it must smell good... Does it?

lilyofthenile

Yes that is true. This is why I seal mostly with coconut oil so I can have the moisture and protein balance in my hair.

Also my hair gets really hard if I use coconut milk on my hair - it's loaded with protein.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Oooh, thanks for the tip! In my mind, it must smell good... Does it?

Mine has a very very faint floral smell. It's such a great oil to add to anyone's regime. You notice its benefits within the first few days. Your hair feels silky, moisturised, strong and it just keeps getting better.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I Googled these particular oils and that's what I discovered. Try researching for yourself and let me know what you find? Most oils have no PH value.

MeechUK

I have googled them plenty of times and there is misinformation floating out there.

These oils just have an affinity to protein, meaning they help prevent the break down of the hairs keratin.

There also are no oils that have a PH value.

HauteHippie

I have googled them plenty of times and there is misinformation floating out there.

These oils just have an affinity to protein, meaning they help prevent the break down of the hairs keratin.

Myjourney2009

Dag, you're just whipping us into shape all over the forum! Apparently, I will believe anything. ;)

MeechUK

MeechUK

What you are describing is Coconut Oil, which mimics a protein and protects the hair from protein loss without actually containing protein. I like "misinformation" that sounds like an grudgingly given apology for "I was wrong". I think you are getting your facts confused between proteins and ph values.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Oils are only fat. Just read the nutrition facts on any of your bottles

Do the research for yourself? Check the individual oils. Yes all oils are fats but some oils contain protein. I checked the oils I use regularly and the ones I didn't. The ones I didn't use regularly had the highest protein content and left my hair feeling like straw-like.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
What you are describing is Coconut Oil, which mimics a protein and protects the hair from protein loss without actually containing protein. I like "misinformation" that sounds like an grudgingly given apology for "I was wrong". I think you are getting your facts confused between proteins and ph values.

I'm sorry where was I confused because I am not

I wrote that some oils help the hair hold on to proteins.

on a seperate line I wrote oil does not have a ph.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Do the research for yourself? Check the individual oils. Yes all oils are fats but some oils contain protein. I checked the oils I use regularly and the ones I didn't. The ones I didn't use regularly had the highest protein content and left my hair feeling like straw-like.

They left your hair feeling like that because you probably put it on wet hair. I know when I did that my hair got hard once I put on avocado oil it softened.On dry hair it was perfectly fine.

Like the other poster said oils do not contain protein. Oils are only lipids/fats

MeechUK

MeechUK
I'm sorry where was I confused because I am not

I wrote that some oils help the hair hold on to proteins.

on a seperate line I wrote oil does not have a ph.

This is a forum for sharing ideas. Everyone has a different viewpoint and research findings as any and everything is constantly changing. You don't seem to be able to articulate what you read and write.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
umm just because we have differing of opinions does not mean I am unable to articulate. My response was very clear.

There is no reason to attack me because we dont agree. I dont like typing much so I keep things short.

Yes we are all here to share ideas. Since we are sharing ideas show me where you found your information and I will show you mine.

From what I've read coconut meat contains protein but the oil does not. This is just one of many sites I have read over the course of 2 years.

Coconut, meat, raw
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3113/2

coconut oil

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

there is a BIG difference with natural protein contained in vegetables, animals, flowers, and the HYDROLYSED way.
even between hydrolysed proteins, amino acids and protein there is a difference.
yeah avocado contains protein, but it's not like if you use hydrolysed vegetable protein.
the difference is in the size of the protein.
the molecule of simple protein (non "treated") is too large to adsorb to hair, so it won't do a thing to hair. the whole thing, can be good for hair. but the protein of this thing won't do a thing to hair.
only hydrolysed protein form can aDsorb(stick to hair) and be aBsorbed through cortex and hair shaft(scientifically proven/journal of cosmetic science, 1993). more smaller is the size of the protein, more it can do something to hair. and eggs, amino acids, protein naturally contained in wildlife can not.
yes, the vegetable(avocado is great by itself) but it's not because hair reacts like replenished, stonger, than a thing contains protein. just an example : molasses ! when I use it my hair is so strong and shiny:lick:. but molasses doesn't contain any protein. :yep:
it's just because it has full of nutrients :rolleyes:

so it's not because, a nut(shea, murumuru, cocoa..), a seed(hemp...), contains naturally proteins that you should avoid it.
if you really want to avoid protein, it's the hydrolysed form that you should avoid.