Need help.......desperately!!!!!

Trinity1

Ok ladies I need help....most of you'all just ignored my last post (no heat challenge for 6 weeks)
LOL

Anyway I am hopeing that someone can help me out here. This is the deal. About 3 1/2 weeks post relaxer I decided to give myself a protein treatment and deep conditioning.I made the silly mistake,however,of using a neutralizing shampoo to wash my hair and then followed up with the protein treatment (used Motions) then the deep conditioner. My hair seemed fine for the first day but since then I have been getting little pieces of broken hair falling on my sink whenever I undo my braids in the morning (I wear a braid out style). Its not major breakage,its about 2-5 broken pieces of hair each time but I wasnt getting any breakage before. I just got a touch up about 1 week ago and applied a protein treatment after the relaxer (following instructions for Motions Lye relaxer) anyway I've been doing deep conditionings with every wash (every 3 days)since my last relaxer and the breakage hasnt stopped. I'm wondering should I wait another week or so and do another protein treatment? or should I stay away from protein. I've always thought that protein was the only thing that could really eliminate breakage.

Also I use Pantene leave in conditioner daily which has silk amino acids as the last ingredient. This is protein so could it be my leave in conditioner causing my breakage? Maybe I need to find one that doesnt have any protein.

Ladies please advise.....I am desperate.

Tee Tee

nita4

Eliminate the protein and start moisturizing.

Use a moisturizing shampoo if you have one and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Using a neutralizing shampoo to regularly shampoo your hair is dangerous, it will dry your hair out. Been there done that and it jacked my hair up big time. If you were using to make sure your hair was neutralized correctly after a relaxer, you probably needed to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. You really have to get in turn with what your hair needs, it will tell you by the condition it is in.
Most times after my relaxer - I follow up my neutralizing with a protein treatment too, then do two or three weeks of moisturizing treatments w/heat. If my hair starts to feel weak and I see breakage, I use protein. If it feels dry, cruncy and hard, I use moisture.

I read your late post regarding the no heat challenge for 6 weeks, I'm already doing this and my plan is to continue throughout the winter. Let me know how it works out for you.

beana3

Your hair could be thirsty for moisture and overproteining causes breakage (makes the hair dry and brittle making it easier to break off) I would suggest that you condition with your favorite deep moisturizing conditioner (my current fave is Humecto) and see how your hair responds to an all moisture routine.

Silk amino is a very mild proetin, and if its the last ingredient i doubt that is what's contributing to proetin overload.

Trinity1

Thanks Nita. I've been deep conditioning without heat but I think your idea of doing it with heat sounds better because this will allow the moisture to really get into each strand and right now that is what my hair really needs. I think I will do that the next time I wash which is thursday. I agree with you about not using protein right now. I will do what I always do though which is apply a protein treatment about 2 weeks post relaxer and also I am going to search for a leave in treatment that does not contain protein so I wont overkill.Like you said you use protein when your hair is breaking and you do alot of deep conditioning when your hair feels dry. Right now my hair is very soft and moisturized so I am thinking a good protein treatment could stop the breakage,nothing too much like Aphogee or Motions CPR but something that will do the trick but I'll wait another week. In the meantime I will definitely deep condition with heat at least twice a week.
Thanks again.

Do you or anyone know of a leave in conditioner that does not contain protein?

Tee Tee

Trinity1

Beana3 and Nita,

After carefully reading both of your responses I have reconsidered the protein treatment and will take both of your advices on trying an "all moisture" routine. It sounds like the best thing for now. I think I'll try that for at least a couple of weeks to allow my hair to really benefit and then if my hair is still breaking then I will apply a protein treatment as a last resort.

Beana3,
Thanks for letting me know about the mildness of Silk Amino Acids, I've been using Pantene leave in for a while now and never had a problem so I agree with you that its probably not that thats causing the breakage. As Nita has said using that Neutralizing shampoo which is dangerous and then using a protein treatment right afterwards was really the killer.

Thanks ladies for all of your support.

Tee Tee

G

[ QUOTE ]
Tee Tee said:
Beana3 and Nita,

After carefully reading both of your responses I have reconsidered the protein treatment and will take both of your advices on trying an "all moisture" routine. It sounds like the best thing for now. I think I'll try that for at least a couple of weeks to allow my hair to really benefit and then if my hair is still breaking then I will apply a protein treatment as a last resort.

Beana3,
Thanks for letting me know about the mildness of Silk Amino Acids, I've been using Pantene leave in for a while now and never had a problem so I agree with you that its probably not that thats causing the breakage. As Nita has said using that Neutralizing shampoo which is dangerous and then using a protein treatment right afterwards was really the killer.

Thanks ladies for all of your support.

Tee Tee

[/ QUOTE ]

My stylist told me to concentrate more on protein through diet, opposed to protein based products.

I focus primarily on moisture and LOTS OF IT!

Hope this helps... I feel your woes, though. We all have experienced your problem at one time or another

Trinity1

Thanks everyone for your help. So everyone agrees that I need to lay off the protein and focus on moisture.Thats what I will do then. I will keep everyone posted. I appreciate all of the words of wisdom from everyone.

Tee Tee