Deep penetrating conditioner for coarse hair

ravenhairedcharm

Hi ladies. I'm struggling right now with getting my hair to feel moisturized. I have thick wiry strands of hair that need good quality conditioners that don't just coat the surface of my hair otherwise it's soft for less than a day and hard feeling for the rest of the week. Can any one of you suggest a deep penetrating conditioner for coarse hair? Preferably a deep treatment that isn't too costly. Thanks in advance.

30something

I have coarse hair (and I'm cheap) and i use Aubrey organics GPB conditioner or Aurbrey organics Honeysuckle Rose for deep conditioning. It gotten it for about $8 for 11 oz at vitamin shoppe last month. Sometimes I stretch it with Trader Joes nourishing spa to get more for my money and it adds slip.

ravenhairedcharm

I have coarse hair (and I'm cheap) and i use Aubrey organics GPB conditioner or Aurbrey organics Honeysuckle Rose for deep conditioning. It gotten it for about $8 for 11 oz at vitamin shoppe last month. Sometimes I stretch it with Trader Joes nourishing spa to get more for my money and it adds slip.

Thanks for responding. I think I'm allergic to something in Aubrey Organics though. I tried the GPB a couple of times and each time it made my hands itchy, and when I rinsed it out of my hair, my scalp gets this terrible itching/burning sensation. :blush: Nothing that made my hair fall out, thank goodness.

lamaria211

Silk Element Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment
One n Only Hydrating Hair Mask
Crece Pelo
Alter Ego Garlic Treatment
Kera Minerals Smoothing Deep Condish. Hth

vtoodler

Here's a list of some of the most popular deep conditioners among forum users. Ignore the numbers alongside them:

1. Aubrey Organics White Camellia Conditioner
2. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and Rose 20
3. KeraCare humecto 7
4. Silicon Mix 12
5. Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner 10
6. Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Conditioner 6
7. Joico 4
8. Miss Key 10 en 1 1
9. Motions Moisture Plus 3
10. Mizani moisturefuse 4
11. Elasta DPR-11 Conditioner
12. Shescentit Banana Brulee 4
13. Matrix Biolage 6
14. BeeMine Deep Conditioner 1
15. Aussie Moist Deep Conditioner
16. Pantene moisturizing deep conditioner

Last edited:

30something

Thanks for responding. I think I'm allergic to something in Aubrey Organics though. I tried the GPB a couple of times and each time it made my hands itchy, and when I rinsed it out of my hair, my scalp gets this terrible itching/burning sensation. :blush: Nothing that made my hair fall out, thank goodness.

Damn that sucks, only other deep conditioner I found as deep conditioning was Aussie moist deep conditioner, I forget the name but its filled with cones. I haven't found anything else as moisturizing as Aubrey organics mainly because it becomes pretty costly trying to find what will work.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk
Camille Rose SOYlicious
Camille Rose Moisture Max
Camille Rose Algae Mask
Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Conditioner
Marie Dean Peach Honey Syrup
MyHoneyChild Coconut Papaya Hair Paste

MissTripleChoc

Hi,

My hair was dry like straw until i discovered, olive oil root stimulator olive oil masque, and keracase humecto conditioner. I find that i need to remove all cones from my hair first so the new conditioner can penetrate and do its work, i also find that using a conditioner which a low ph helps close the cuticle and makes me hair feel soft and moisturised.

vtoodler

Hi,

My hair was dry like straw until i discovered, olive oil root stimulator olive oil masque, and keracase humecto conditioner. I find that i need to remove all cones from my hair first so the new conditioner can penetrate and do its work, i also find that using a conditioner which a low ph helps close the cuticle and makes me hair feel soft and moisturised.

MissTripleChoc

How do you remove all cones? Do you use a clarifying shampoo? If so, which clarifying shampoo do you use?

claud-uk

OP we have similar sounding hair (thick/coarse wiry). I can literally feel every single individual strand just running my hand over my hair, it's that wiry! Although my hair feels soft and I know it is moisturized, it rarely feels moisturized. To help with this I started 24/7 whole-head baggying (wrapping with saran after doing a M&S) and I also started DC'ing weekly with heat. I use Keracare Humecto, Queen Helene Cholesterol and CON AO Con as my main DC's. I always do an oil pre-poo before doing anything at all (protein/poo/DC etc) and I always mix oils, honey etc into my DC's.

Trying to come to terms with the texture of my hair, I feel positive that it's the type that is not easily damaged by the heat of straightening irons etc.

Ogoma

My front and middle strands are coarse and wiry, and I have noticed that part of my hair reacts most negatively to protein. Just a thought.

claud-uk

vtoodler - Moisturize and Seal. Every morning I part hair into four, M&S (I use coconut oil to seal) then I braid each section. Each braid gets folded under and wrapped in a strip of saran (secured with a mini rubber band), then I use another longer piece to wrap my whole head, before putting on my scarf. This is the only way I found so far that can get moisture to "soak" into my hair. Sometimes I do the reverse and put my scarf on first, then the saran on top, which still gives soft hair but without making my scalp wet.

Last edited:

ravenhairedcharm

Hi,

MissTripleChoc I guess I have to try this keracare humecto. I saw the olive oil masque at the beauty supply store yesterday, so I may try that first. I actually cowash exclusively and it seems to be helping, I figured I just needed a more effective conditioner. idk

OP we have similar sounding hair (thick/coarse wiry). I can literally feel every single individual strand just running my hand over my hair, it's that wiry! Although my hair feels soft and I know it is moisturized, it rarely feels moisturized. To help with this I started 24/7 whole-head baggying (wrapping with saran after doing a M&S) and I also started DC'ing weekly with heat. I use Keracare Humecto, Queen Helene Cholesterol and CON AO Con as my main DC's. I always do an oil pre-poo before doing anything at all (protein/poo/DC etc) and I always mix oils, honey etc into my DC's.

Trying to come to terms with the texture of my hair, I feel positive that it's the type that is not easily damaged by the heat of straightening irons etc.

claud-uk Yea my fly aways are super noticeable because of how coarse my hair is. I see you've mentioned keracare humecto too, there really must be something to this conditioner, but I've always passed over it. I use A LOT of oil. My hair never gets weighed down, it's a good thing I guess.

My front and middle strands are coarse and wiry, and I have noticed that part of my hair reacts most negatively to protein. Just a thought.

Ogoma Yea, I don't really use protein that much. I can name only one conditioner I use that has a light protein, hydrolyzed soy, but it seems to be more of a softener. I learned that my hair really needs moisture, so I'm searching for the best moisture treatment.

vtoodler Which Pantene deep conditioner? There's a few.

Last edited:

ravenhairedcharm

Kerastase Masquintense
KeraPro Restorative treatment
Silicon Mix Bamboo

lamaria211 Thanks for the suggestions. :) I need to stop by Sally's some time so I can try out some of these products. I used the Crece Pelo, I haven't used in a long time, yesterday and it made my hair pretty soft. I also have Alter Ego, and I love that stuff but it's just too expensive for me to use all the time. :sad:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Have you checked your porosity? There has to be a reason that your hair is not responding to deep conditioners.

healthyhair2

What about Jessicurl Deep Treatment or Too shea!, Oyin Honey Hemp Condish,Nexxus Humectress(the old formula with Ceramides. Can still be found at some CVS drugstores)maybe Sizta 2 Sizta Deep Conditioner. I have used them all and they worked well for me. My natural hair liked them,now I'm relaxed and would use them ALL if I had the $$$$ !!! Years ago I would get steam treatments with Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner and my hair felt A-mazing! It is cone-city though, with some mineral oil thrown in though. I did also like Avalon Organics Lavender Conditioner which can be had for $13 a liter from Whole Foods. Good
Luck :)

virtuenow

I have coarse, wiry, thick hair, and Aubrey Organics GPB is the only deep conditioner that can tackle my hair. No conditioner compares, so it is the only one I'll name. I use it weekly on damp or dry hair. I follow w/an oil rinse (w/castor oil) and stay moisturized for the week between my DC's. Edited to Add (ETA): I just read that you are allergic to AO, so I believe oil rinses are a great stand alone deep conditioner. I considered using them alone for deep conditioning, but I found the conditioner is great for cleansing and moisturizing. I am lo-poo, so that is something you may want to consider. I dilute my shampoos in an applicator bottle b/c they tend to strip moisture out of your hair.

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

There is more than one type of gpb. I can only use the plain one. There is a Rosemary mint one and it is not the same and my scalp did not like it!

Eta: and lavender ylang ylang

Last edited:

MissTripleChoc

@cotsha, this conditioner contains a little protein but is a moisturising conditioner. Some proteins bind to the hair which act as a humectant in attracting moisture. It's a relatively cost effective conditioner but as good as a lot of high end conditioners. This product is a holy grail product for me, and believe me my hair is coarse like shredded wheat!