Coconut Oil as Deep Conditioner

ActionActress

I am the Coconut Woman. I eat, sleep, dream, slather on,massage in coconut oil, coconut meat and coconut milk (the latest).

WILL help you lose weight.

LaidBak

I am prepooing with EVCO right now. Its not such a strange concept to DC with CO. I use SitriNillah to DC. Second ingredient--coconut oil.

Superfly Sister

I love love love pre-pooing with coconut oil. I'm about to do it in about an hour.

I'm considering deep conditioning with coconut oil. So how do I do it? on damp hair? slightly damp? I was under the impression putting oil on wet hair is a no no, so I'm quite confused.

LaidBak

I love love love pre-pooing with coconut oil. I'm about to do it in about an hour.

I'm considering deep conditioning with coconut oil. So how do I do it? on damp hair? slightly damp? I was under the impression putting oil on wet hair is a no no, so I'm quite confused.

I'm curious as to why that would be a no no.

LaidBak

I thought water and oil doesnt mix well. am I wrong? lol So if I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner it would be OK to blowdry and press my hair?

LoL! They don't mix but that's just a reference to their physical/molecular properties. It doesn't mean anything as far as the health of your hair. Yes it would be fine for you to blowdry and press afterwards. The residual oil left after rinsing will nourish and protect your hair.

bellebebe

Girl, coconut oil is married to my hair. I always do a hot oil treatment, rinse it out, then deep condition my hair. both for 15 to 30mn under the dryer. I freakin love it and that's all I do every 3 days. It's the shiznaz!!!

DaDragonPrincess

Coconut oil is my favorite oil, I use it with DCs,in pre poos,and to seal with....you can even use this stuff as a moisturizer.

I use it as a hot oil treatment!!!

Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee It
:lick:

Last edited:

DaDragonPrincess

what brand of coconut oil do you gals reccommend??

:lick:

Or ANY brand, but this the brand I mostly buy.

Vashti

I use Spectrum. Coconut oil seems like the magical cure all for so many things though. I've been using it in my diet since last summer and my skin glows and is so soft now! I also use it on my ends during my nightly hair moisturizing routine! Some of the best stuff on earth! :)

NIN4eva

Hi Ladies, Is just 100% pure coconut oil okay or is it better to use an oil that specifically states that it's virgin or extra virgin?

MonPetite

I've done detailed posts on coconut, avocado and olive oil on my blog. All three actually penetrate the hair strand. They make for fantastic conditioning agents. I've recently switched to using oil as my DC and my hair loves it! It's the only way I can fit them in my reggie and my hair is so much healthier for it.

grow

i haven't read every single page in this thread yet,
but from what i have read in just 2 pages worth, you ladies have convinced me to try it more often.

i used to think it was too heavy, but i most likely wasn't using it correctly.

since i've been looking to stay away from cones, i'm dc'ing with coconut oil as i type!

thanks, ladies!

JustSimplyTish

I am dc'n right now with a head full of Vatika Frosting...My hair already feels super soft.....I love all the advice on this forum

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Crude or pure organic coconut oil - that you can also eat/ use to cook - is best; the less commercialized it is, the better. I get a tub of EVO coconut oil from my farmers' market, World Direct. It's the next best thing to climbing the tree to get a 'nut.

what brand of coconut oil do you gals reccommend??

LaidBak

Crude or pure organic coconut oil - that you can also eat/ use to cook - is best; the less commercialized it is, the better. I get a tub of EVO coconut oil from my farmers' market, World Direct. It's the next best thing to climbing the tree to get a 'nut.

In total agreement w/bolded. :yep:

JudithO

Bumping this up...

Anyone using only coconut oil as a DC? I faithfully use it to prepoo, but I want to start DC'ing with heat as well.

Maybe wet my hair, slather on coconut oil, plastic cap, bonnet dryer?

Anyone using other oils as DC successfully?

Ann0804

Let us know how it turns out. Would you dc then rinse it out or just leave the coconut oil on your hair?

Evolving78

i don't do oil, but i do add coconut milk to my dc to make it more creamier. hair comes out nice and soft every time.

Kindheart

I m not sure why but it makes my hair dry and stiff a couple of hours after i applied it.Perhaps,bu I should use it only as a pre poo but even then I haven't been impressed by the results,on the other hand Darcy botanicals transitioning cream works wonder on my hair .Jojoba oil is amazing for my hair and scalp.

JudithO

May I'll just stick to it as a prepoo... It can get hard if it's not shampoo'd out during the winter.

Curlykale

Yes, I sometimes slather as much as I like on damp hair (after shampoo or just after wetting my hair. luxurious treatment :lick: It just glides on wet hair, don't ask me why but I once tried out of curiosity and it works), then I co-wash any excess out. Perfect marriage with aloe juice too.

Last edited: