Coarse hair naturals

locabouthair

I just started wearing my hair natural and I think that because my hair is coarse it needs more moisture. I use motions silk protein, it's okay but I think I need something better. What deep conditioners work for you?

mahoganee

I mix my conditioners. I went to the hair recipe board to get some ideas from them. I just started adding olive oil and castor oil to my mixture and my hair is very moisturized. It's a lot easier to comb out too. I plan on mixing some honey in my conditioner once I take my sew in out. The conditioners that I've been using lately are silk elements mayonaisse and motions moisture plus Hope this helps.:)

hopeful

I add warm evoo to VO5 conditioners, particularly free me freesia and tangerine tickle. Recently did a deep with Dove's intense moisture conditioner and it made my hair feel really nice. I also used the Dove's on my transitioning daughter's hair (without evoo) and her hair turned out great too. HTH

ChocolateCutee

Your hair may feel really coarse because you are recently natural. please don't let that put you off b'c this happened to me for months. but your dryness/coarsness maybe gone quicker. The best thing I can suggest is to keep the hair moisturised!

The mistake I made was to use creams and grease to moisturize my hair when I really needed to use products which keep moisture in the hair like humectants. Honey and glycerin are pretty good at keeping the hair moisturized.

for deep conditioning I usually use honey and olive oil, once rinsed out i put shea butter or a creamy leave-in from Africa's best. I also use Dove shampoo because it keeps my hair really soft.

To keep my hair moisturized during the day, i spray my hair with rosewater and glycerin that is pre mixed. That usually keeps my hair moist for a couple of days.

hth

hotshot

i like plain yogurt mixed with castor oil.
i like eggs mixed with castor oil and honey.
i like greg juice.
drink lots of water.
i liked dove conditioner as a leave-in, generally my coarse hair likes rinse out conditioners as leave-ins.
i like unrefined shea butter.
avoid too much glycerin or cones.
i like elucence MB. kenra, dove, ors mayonnaise, did nothing for me.
i like aubrey GPB.

these are my standby's and favorites. i find my hair can actually get too soft, you need to make sure you get enough protein to balance the softening, moisturizing properties.

cocopuff

locabouthair said:
I just started wearing my hair natural and I think that because my hair is coarse it needs more moisture. I use motions silk protein, it's okay but I think I need something better. What deep conditioners work for you?

Motions Silk Protein didn't work all that well for me either. I like Motions CPR conditioner as a deep conditioner/protein treatment. I also like Parnevu Organics Hair Mayonnaise. The last time I deep conditioned, I used Silk Elements Revive and Restore Hair Mayonnaise and I liked it; it was better than I thought it would be. When I deep condition my hair, I mix honey with the conditioner and it helps to moisturize and detangle my hair.

caligirl

Kenra is what you need! The bottle reads: for excessively dry, brittle, and coarse hair. I use Kenra as a deep conditioner and as a leave in. My hair is very thick, coarse and kinky. This conditioner allows my K cutter and denman brush to glide thru my hair. It also has a nice coconut scent.

bklyncurly

caligirl said:
Kenra is what you need! The bottle reads: for excessively dry, brittle, and coarse hair. I use Kenra as a deep conditioner and as a leave in. My hair is very thick, coarse and kinky. This conditioner allows my K cutter and denman brush to glide thru my hair. It also has a nice coconut scent.

I've never tried Kenra. Where can I find it? Online? BSS?

BTW, for now my fav deep con is Aussie Deeppp Con & Coconut Oil. Cover w/plastic cap and let sit on hair for 30 min under hooded dryer. Note this makes your hair very oily. The oil will actually start to drip down your neck. But, after you rinse out and blow dry (or air dry) your hair will feel great! :)