Damp or Dry hair? Getting Twists with extensions installed

naturalmanenyc

I am getting my puffy twists installed tomorrow and am not sure if I need to have damp or dry hair? I have not had single extension braids of any kind installed since I was 13. I usually do crochet braids (myself or salon) or I get cornrows.

My hair is currently dry and in 6 large twists. I saw some youtube videos that suggest installing twists on damp hair. I am not sure why....any ideas?

I'm sure the stylist will spray my hair if needed, but I just want to know what to expect.

Distorted Barbie

I'm doing senegalese on damp hair for the first time, right now. It seems easier to comb through, since I did not blow dry it. I like it this way. I usually have them done on dry hair, which works as well.

Kn0ttyByNatur3

Whenever I got braids installed, my hair was almost always dry. Also got them installed when it was damp to.

I think my styles lasted way longer on dry hair.

SkySurfer

I do my senegalese twists on slightly damp hair for ease of detangling and it seems to set the shape of the hair within the twist :) x

alive

i've always gotten mine done on dry hair. had no idea people got them done on damp hair. i've learned something new today :yep:

fiyahwerks

When I braid my daughter's hair, I prefer it damp (like 80% dry). If it's dry, I use water mixed with a little carrier oil (evoo or grapeseed) in a spray bottle and lightly spray the section before braiding. It helps me grip better without pulling or making it tight.