Beginner DIY Extensions - Havana Twists - First Attempt

naturalmanenyc

I finally put extensions in my hair all by myself! :grin: I filmed it here: http://youtu.be/mp5auzzT0P0

I could not get the hang of all those braid start and counterclockwise double twist methods on YouTube so I just did what worked for me. I twisted in the extension hair on one side and then just wrapped the loose end of the extension around the base, covered the "knot" with my own hair, and started twisting. I did not do my entire head since I didn't have enough hair for that. I installed 8 twists to see how it would look.

I had been researching this style since January 2012 and now that I finally decided to have them installed, the salon where I had my consultation went out of business. I was disappointed but since I had Marley hair leftover from my Senegalese twists, I decided to try them on my own since I've been two strand twisting my own hair for years.

I do need to know how to hide the ends of my own hair though. I didn't use any gel or holding product, only a moisturizer, so gel might solve the problem.

I also don't like this Marley hair. It's coarse, which I didn't really realize since I didn't really handle the hair. The braider recommended it when we ran out of Janet Afro hair when I had my Senegalese twists installed.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Nice job for your first attempt! I wish I could do these. I can do anything else except a decent roller set and these darn twist with extensions lol.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

naturalmanenyc

HairPleezeGrow
Have you tried the mohawk method? I sucked at rollersetting until I started using the mohawk method, rollers down the center and then the sides. I have a couple of videos on my YouTube channel of me rollersetting.

Nice job for your first attempt! I wish I could do these. I can do anything else except a decent roller set and these darn twist with extensions lol.

HPG

pink219

:yep:You did good...

I want to try Havana Twists on myself one day soon,... I'm a little hair lazy when it comes to styles like this (braided and twisted styles).

It doesn't look like it will take long though...

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
HairPleezeGrow
Have you tried the mohawk method? I sucked at rollersetting until I started using the mohawk method, rollers down the center and then the sides. I have a couple of videos on my YouTube channel of me rollersetting.

Thnx I'm going to check out your videos on the roller setting.

HPG

Ms. Tiki

I have been doing them for other people but I think I'm going to finally do a set of hip length twist on myself. I just need to decide when, texlax or twist this week

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
About hiding the ends of your hair...
Have you tried sandwiching your hair between the strands of the synthetic hair? That always works for me. Or sort of squish your hair between the synthetic hair.
Sort of like this: where the parentheses are the synthetic hair that you're twisting, if that makes sense and the Hs are your hair.
(H)(H)

via LHCF App

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Update on whether that works for you. I love exchanging info on here!
Consider yourself pretty intrepid. It's one thing to install extensions on someone else's hair and quite another to do them on yourself.
My proficiency doing my own hair is the result of dozens of years of indentured servitude. lol
kxlot79

Good idea. No, I hadn't tried this. These are my first extensions on my own and I definitely need tips.

via LHCF App

BlaqBella

I think you did a great job OP. Your hair looks very healthy too. I haven't worn extensions in years, now I want to put some in my hair. I've saying this for awhile though. But I think you did fine and the more you do it the better and better they'll look.

g.lo

I finally put extensions in my hair all by myself! :grin: I filmed it here: http://youtu.be/mp5auzzT0P0

I could not get the hang of all those braid start and counterclockwise double twist methods on YouTube so I just did what worked for me. I twisted in the extension hair on one side and then just wrapped the loose end of the extension around the base, covered the "knot" with my own hair, and started twisting. I did not do my entire head since I didn't have enough hair for that. I installed 8 twists to see how it would look.

I had been researching this style since January 2012 and now that I finally decided to have them installed, the salon where I had my consultation went out of business. I was disappointed but since I had Marley hair leftover from my Senegalese twists, I decided to try them on my own since I've been two strand twisting my own hair for years.

I do need to know how to hide the ends of my own hair though. I didn't use any gel or holding product, only a moisturizer, so gel might solve the problem.

I also don't like this Marley hair. It's coarse, which I didn't really realize since I didn't really handle the hair. The braider recommended it when we ran out of Janet Afro hair when I had my Senegalese twists installed.

you have done a fab job! I just did dd and my hair! gel works really great in hiding the hair ( i used plained aloe vera).
I have used 2 1/2 packs for me , DD is much chunkier I used nearly 4 packs! but he marley hair is sooooo light and natural looking.
Op you inspired me to do this!
I have used the Janet marley! did you fluff it before twisting?

Attachments

• mama.jpg
    mama.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 115
  • marley.jpg
    marley.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 125

naturalmanenyc

g.lo

Great job! No, I didn't fluff the hair. A lot of people on YouTube do fluff the Marley hair though before installing. I have a few types of gel in the house and I'm sure one of them will do the trick.

I ordered 3 packs of fingercomber hair on July 12 but have not seen a shipping confirmation as of yet. I emailed them yesterday before I left for my work event and expect to have the hair soon.

naturalmanenyc

I just checked my email and finally have shipping details. The hair shipped 7/18 (presumably after I emailed) it arrives tomorrow when we're out of town. It won't fit in the mailbox so I won't get the hair until Monday when I pick it up from the post office.

g.lo

I just checked my email and finally have shipping details. The hair shipped 7/18 (presumably after I emailed) it arrives tomorrow when we're out of town. It won't fit in the mailbox so I won't get the hair until Monday when I pick it up from the post office.

I live in Uk and I haven't found the real havana hair! would like to try them for comparison!
Can't wait for your full result!

naturalmanenyc

Well, I won't be installing the twists this week.

I just got in from out of town and my Havana Twist hair was at the door, except it was not in the Fingercomber packaging, it was repackaged in tissue paper and there were only 24 strands per bundle (3 bundles) instead of the 50 or so strands per bundle shown in this video: http://youtu.be/QsBwwD5mP2I?t=33s

The box felt too light for 3 bundles of hair so I opened it and counted the strands.

I've already contacted the seller (not fingercomber.com) and will be seeking a Paypal refund if I don't get the rest of my hair this week.

Attachments

• havana twist hair - repackaged.jpg
    havana twist hair - repackaged.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 78
  • havana twist repackaged hair.jpg
    havana twist repackaged hair.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 68

alive

i ran into issues when I did this style a while back. i think the sheer bulk of the extensions was just too much for moisture to get to my own strands (or maybe I just wasnt moisturizing enough). Either way, i'm glad to see more people experimenting with it :yep:

classoohfive

After taking a break for a few weeks on the twists with my own hair, I put them back in last night/early this morning. I really want to try adding hair to get the style to last. I'll be heading to the BSS on Wed after school. :)

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I just looked at your video and did a braid, was much easier than other methods. I plan on doing my entire head Thursday or Friday but I think we have a keeper here. Thanks alot

Hibiscus30

The installed version looks so nice...I went back to see your first install and you did a good job though. I always thought those Havana Twists were too big. But these look really nice! (Now I want some installed...I will definitely have them installed...Lol)

naturalmanenyc...How long will you wear them...2-3weeks?

naturalmanenyc

Hibiscus30

Thanks! I thought I did an awful job and I appreciate your comment.:yep:

I hope to keep them in for 8 weeks. I've heard they can last for up to 12 weeks.

The installed version looks so nice...I went back to see your first install and you did a good job though. I always thought those Havana Twists were too big. But these look really nice! (Now I want some installed...I will definitely have them installed...Lol)

naturalmanenyc...How long will you wear them...2-3weeks?

naturalmanenyc

SlimPickinz

I doubt that I will use Havana hair again.

For someone who wants the puffy twists, Havana hair is great. However, if you like a more firm twists (rope twist) then you don't need Havana hair. I will make a decision in about two weeks when I wash it to see how it swells.

A big selling point of Havana hair is that it's reusable. Marley hair is reusable too so long as you don't cut out the twists so I'm not sure why Havana hair being "reusable" is such a big deal.

oneastrocurlie

SlimPickinz

I doubt that I will use Havana hair again.

For someone who wants the puffy twists, Havana hair is great. However, if you like a more firm twists (rope twist) then you don't need Havana hair. I will make a decision in about two weeks when I wash it to see how it swells.

A big selling point of Havana hair is that it's reusable. Marley hair is reusable too so long as you don't cut out the twists so I'm not sure why Havana hair being "reusable" is such a big deal.

naturalmanenyc I don't get how saying its reusable is a selling point either. When I did my first set I used marley hair (so I guess technically I do marley twists not havana but whatev lol) to just see if I could do it. The hair worked out really well and I even rewashed it and used it for my next set. They are super easy to take out.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
naturalmanenyc I don't get how saying its reusable is a selling point either. When I did my first set I used marley hair (so I guess technically I do marley twists not havana but whatev lol) to just see if I could do it. The hair worked out really well and I even rewashed it and used it for my next set. They are super easy to take out.
Why not? Lots of women buy higher quality, more expensive weaves because they are reusable. More bang for your buck!

I however am happy to hear that the Marley hair is just fine and can be washed. I'd hate to spend $50+ for hair and I don't like it. $20 to start off and I can reuse sounds much better to me.