Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
August 21, 2012

Devotional:
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Corinthians 3:18 (KJV)

"Transformed ... with ever-increasing glory." In other words, it's an ongoing process, but with the continual help of the Spirit, we're going to arrive at our goal -- to be like Jesus! The point is not to give up on our journey. Let's keep looking to Jesus and keep trusting that the Holy Spirit is doing God's work in us, making us more and more like Jesus each day.

PRAYER:
Father, please forgive me for the times when I've let my faith grow complacent and I've lost my focus on Jesus. Please bless me as I try to be more intentional in my plans, especially my spiritual maturity. Please make me more like Jesus each day. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil. Proverbs 1:33 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 22, 2012

Devotional:
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Acts 3:19-20 (KJV)

When was the last time that you caught yourself straying from a passionate walk with the Lord? Refreshing times come when we change our hearts and lives to live for God and with God in our everyday lives! In fact, Jesus has told us that he will reveal himself to us as we live obediently for him (see John 14:15-21). His home will be in us until he returns for us and we get to enjoy the ultimate refreshment -- going home to be with him forever.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, I am consciously turning my life over to you today. I ask for your forgiveness for any sin that I have committed. Please refresh me through a deeper awareness of Jesus' lordship and presence in my life today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A wholesome tongue [is] a tree of life: but perverseness therein [is] a breach in the spirit. Proverbs 15:4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 23, 2012

Devotional:
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him [be] glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21 (KJV)

We have far greater power than we often realize. That incredible power is at work within us (see Ephesians 1:18-19). This promise of power, however, is tied to two opportunities God gives us daily. First, it is based on actively asking for God to do great things based upon a holy charged imagination. Second, it is based on our living to bring God glory. So let's ask, imagine, and give God glory; then let's praise him for doing far greater things than what we ask or even imagine!

PRAYER:
Dear Father in heaven, forgive me for my pedestrian dreams, my selfish prayers, and my short-sighted goals. Awaken my heart to your will and open my eyes to your plans by the power of your Holy Spirit. As you do this, dear Father, please do it to your glory and praise. In Jesus' name I ask this. Amen.

Wisdom:
A word fitly spoken [is like] apples of gold in pictures of silver. Proverbs 25:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 24, 2012

Devotional:
But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: Romans 3:21-22 (KJV)

The Old Testament looks forward to a new time, a time when law is not the basis of righteousness. The Law and Prophets testify to this time. This righteousness comes from God and is built on the sacrificial work of Jesus who liberates us from law and brings us God's grace. The real issue for us is trust -- many today confuse believing with simply thinking something in one's head, while the Bible sees belief as something that involves our heart and changes our behavior. So what is the basis on which you are building your life today? What is the measure of your righteousness? On what is your security tied? Thank God we can trust our life, our future, and our salvation to Jesus Christ and not to law-keeping.

PRAYER:
Precious Father, thank you so much for providing me with a Savior in Jesus. Thank you for declaring me righteous through the sacrifice of your Son. Please help me as I entrust my life and salvation to Jesus so that his life and character can be exemplified in the way that I live. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established. Proverbs 15:22 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 25, 2012

Devotional:
And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. Luke 3:22 (KJV)

God spoke these wonderful words to his Son when Jesus was baptized. God feels the same about us when we follow our Savior's example and are baptized, too! Jesus pours out his Spirit on us (Titus 3:4-7) guaranteeing that we are God's children (cf. Ephesians 1:13-14). No matter what Satan may do to make us doubt it (cf. Luke 4:3), we can confidently know that we are God's beloved children, with whom he is well pleased! Because of the Spirit, we can call God our Abba Father (Galatians 4:6) knowing that the Spirit intercedes for us making even our inexpressible thoughts known to our Father (Romans 8:26-27).

PRAYER:
Abba Father, I thank you for making me your child and making me an heir of your gracious inheritance. Please give me confidence to withstand the lies of Satan who tries to make me doubt my relationship with you. Thank you for your Spirit who helps even now by interceding for me as I pray. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Righteous lips [are] the delight of kings; and they love him that speaketh right. Proverbs 16:13 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 27, 2012

Devotional:
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Romans 3:23-24 (KJV)

No matter how hard we try, how good we are, and how much we work, we can never measure up to the only standard that matters -- the glory of Almighty God. Thankfully, God doesn't require us to pretend to be what we are not -- perfect, spotless, and holy. Instead, God makes us to be these (cf. Colossians 1:21-23) by grace, through the gift of his Son who purchased our pardon and gave us his righteousness (2 Corinthians 5:21). Praise God. Praise our Savior, Christ Jesus. Now let's live with Jesus as our Lord; not to earn or secure our salvation, but to thank him for what he has so freely given us!

PRAYER:
Most precious and holy Father, all I can say to your marvelous grace is thank you! Please know that while these words are woefully inadequate, they are genuine. Dear Father, I look forward to showing you through the rest of my life how much I appreciate all that you have done for me. In Jesus' glorious name, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Buy the truth, and sell [it] not; [also] wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Proverbs 23:23 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 28, 2012

Devotional:
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. Galatians 3:24 (KJV)

Galatians reminds us again and again that law cannot make us righteous or save us, not even the Old Testament Law. However, the Law does one very important thing. It leads us to Christ. We recognize right and wrong because of the Law. We recognize our failures, imperfections, sins, transgressions, and weaknesses because of the Law. Most of all, we recognize our need for a Savior because of the Law. Praise God for the Law. Praise God a hundred times more for Jesus!

PRAYER:
Thank you, dear Heavenly Father, that the goal of your Law was to bring me to Jesus. It helps me appreciate his perfection. It helps me know my sinfulness. Most of all, it helps me realize that his sacrifice gives me what the Law cannot -- your righteousness. Father, I do truly believe with all my heart that Jesus came to die for me and give me life. In Jesus' name, and because of Jesus' righteousness, I thank you! Amen.

Wisdom:
The rich and poor meet together: the LORD [is] the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 29, 2012

Devotional:
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God. Daniel 3:25 (KJV)

I love the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego from Daniel 3. Their faith is solid whether God chooses to save them from the fire, or not. God not only saves them, but those who intended to execute them become the key witnesses of their faith and God's miraculous deliverance. They are not only sons of the One True God, but they are also examples to all of us who are tempted to compromise our faith to get along in a society that has lost all respect for the Almighty God.

PRAYER:
Dear Father in heaven, please give me the same kind of faith that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego demonstrated! When adversity, persecution, ridicule, and ostracism come, I want my faith to stand up to the test. Thank you, dear Father, for giving me the Bible, which is my book of heroes who stood their ground and kept their faith, especially under fire. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
There is that maketh himself rich, yet [hath] nothing: [there is] that maketh himself poor, yet [hath] great riches. Proverbs 13:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 30, 2012

Devotional:
For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Galatians 3:26-27 (KJV)

What are you wearing today? I hope you are clothed with Christ. Anything else is simply out of style by heaven's standards, no matter what designer fashions you may be wearing. You can be clothed with Christ by surrendering your life to Jesus as your Savior through faith; believe that he is God's Son who died for you, trust that he rose from the dead to give you life, confess Christ as your Lord and Savior trusting him for your salvation, and share with him in his death, burial, and resurrection through baptism. He promises to send his Spirit to live inside you and to forgive you all of your sins. You will be God's child and have a home waiting for you in heaven. For those of us who are Christians, these thoughts are a reminder of what God has done for us and what he expects of us. If you are not a Christian, the world doesn't have to be a cold and lonely place; the Lord Jesus can be with you everywhere you go if you will respond to him.

PRAYER:
Father, thank you that you provided a way for making me your child and for clothing me in your righteousness. Thank you for making it possible for me to call you Father and to have Jesus as my older brother. Thank you, dear Father, for Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wisdom [is] the principal thing; [therefore] get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 31, 2012

Devotional:
Where [is] boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Romans 3:27-28 (KJV)

God's salvation leaves us no room for boasting. We couldn't live up to the righteous demands of the Law. When we are broken and sinful, God buys our salvation by sending Jesus and having him pay the debt of our sin. We have nothing to boast about except the overwhelmingly generous grace of God and the incredible sacrificial love of our Savior, Jesus.

PRAYER:
Thank you, Father, for redeeming me from the righteous judgment of the Law. Thank you, Jesus, for paying my debt for sin. Thank you, Holy Spirit, for cleansing me and making me holy. Thank you, God, for your incredible grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How much better [is it] to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver! Proverbs 16:16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 1, 2012

Devotional:
… lift up thine eyes westward, and northward, and southward, and eastward, and behold [it] with thine eyes: for thou shalt not go over this Jordan. But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him: for he shall go over before this people, and he shall cause them to inherit the land which thou shalt see. Deuteronomy 3:27b-28 (KJV)

Moses led the people of Israel out of Egypt and in the wilderness, but did not get to enter into the Promised Land because of his sin. Yet, for all those years, Moses nurtured and prepared the person who would do what he could not do. That person was Joshua. Who are you training, molding, encouraging, motivating, and calling to do what you won't be able to do? What successor will take your dreams farther than you can? Who is your Joshua?

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous God, please lead me to those with whom you want me to share my life and to pass on your heritage of faith. Please open my eyes to see them. Give me strength to live my life honestly and courageously before them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Favour [is] deceitful, and beauty [is] vain: [but] a woman [that] feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 3, 2012

Devotional:
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, Galatians 4:4 (KJV)

Wow! What a rich passage full of many wonderful thoughts. Let's put it in cornbread English so that we can not only read it, we can also believe it. God made history ready for a savior and then sent his Son. That Son had to deal with all the difficulties of the Law and faced all the frailties of being a human. Our Father bought our freedom at the terrible cost of his Son's life on a cross in front of a mob that was jeering and jealous of his popularity. He did this so that you and I could be his honored children, entitled to all of his wonderful inheritance. To put it succinctly: God's plan, God's Son, God's ransom, Our glory.

PRAYER:
Thank you, Heavenly Father, for all the pain it caused you to send Jesus and to see him persecuted, ridiculed, and crucified. Thank you for redeeming me from my sinful condition, for buying me out of the death that would have been the consequence of my sins, and for giving me the gift of freedom and family. To you belongs all glory, honor, and praise for your marvelous grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it. But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it. Proverbs 2:21-22 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 4, 2012

Devotional:
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Colossians 4:5-6 (KJV)

Jesus warned about our giving account for every idle word (Matthew 12:36-37). Paul takes it a step further and emphasizes how important this is with those who don't know Christ. We want to seize every opportunity when around those who are not Christians and show kindness, care, and control in the way we use our speech. Someone's eternal destiny may be resting on our conversations with them.

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous God, I know you hate it when your people wound and drive unbelievers away. Please help me display a winsome attitude with all people, but especially those who do not yet know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
There is gold, and a multitude of rubies: but the lips of knowledge [are] a precious jewel. Proverbs 20:15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 5, 2012

Devotional:
And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6 (KJV)

The first vocalizations of many babies are the syllables "ab, ab, ba, ba." Not surprisingly in Jesus' day, that was the name babies used for their fathers. When God saved us, he gave us his Spirit. The Holy Spirit blesses us in many ways, but one of the key blessings is his work with us in prayer. He intercedes for us when words won't do (Romans 8:26-27) and he helps us approach God with familiarity, dependency, and respect as we call God our Abba.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, thank you so much for loving me, saving me, and inviting me into your family. Thank you for the Holy Spirit, who is helping me right now as I share my thoughts, words, and emotions with you. Thank you, dear Father, for giving me the power to be what you want me to be. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. Proverbs 3:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 6, 2012

Devotional:
For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 4:7-8 (KJV)

The call to holiness is easy to ignore in a world which lives by much different standards. Satan gets us to compare our lifestyle with those around us, deluding us into devaluing our sins in comparison to others. But the issue is not comparison shopping our sin; the issue is a thankful heart that has been cleansed by the Holy Spirit and saved by grace. Ignoring, or toning down, the Spirit's call for holiness is rejecting God. Let's be passionate about holiness in our lives, both because it is what God wants and also because it is what we should seek.

PRAYER:
Father, forgive me for trying to water down the significance of my sin. Use your Spirit to kindle in me a passion for holiness and please empower me to live in a way which honors you for all that you have done to save me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The just [man] walketh in his integrity: his children [are] blessed after him. Proverbs 20:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 7, 2012

Devotional:
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse [your] hands, [ye] sinners; and purify [your] hearts, [ye] double minded. James 4:7-8 (KJV)

James always packs a lot into a small space. Let's focus on the center of this call to holiness: let's draw ourselves closer to God. When we come into God's presence and draw close to him, we know our thoughts, our motives, and our behaviors will be seen for what they are in the light of his holiness and righteousness. At the same time, we know that the devil is forced out by the radiance of our Father's holy life. Let's seek after God. Let's long to draw near to him. Let's ask him to cleanse us and make us wholly his and make us completely holy!

PRAYER:
Righteous Father, thank you for your love and forgiveness. Now, dear Father, help me as I seek to draw closer to you and as I seek to know you better. Purify my heart of any duplicity or secret sin. Cleanse my conscience and empower me to be an example of your grace and holiness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son [in whom] he delighteth. Proverbs 3:11-12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 8, 2012

Devotional:
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. Philippians 4:9 (KJV)

I don't know about you, but I truly hope that my life reflects what I say and teach. What a great statement to be able to make to those we lead, whether it is in the classroom, in our families, at work, or at church.

PRAYER:
Almighty and Most High God, please bless me with the integrity that comes when my convictions, my words, and my actions are consistent and righteous. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. Proverbs 20:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 10, 2012

Devotional:
Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. John 3:28-29 (KJV)

John the Baptist is an incredible example of a servant. He lived his life for one central and controlling purpose -- to prepare others to recognize, to welcome, and to follow Jesus Christ as Lord. Can you think of a greater purpose for your life? Let's live so that when our last days approach, we can also say, "That joy is mine, and it is now complete."

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous Father, please use me to prepare others to know and to receive Jesus. In the name of my Lord, Jesus of Nazareth, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning. Proverbs 16:21 (KJV)

gn1g

no prayer - no power
little prayer - little power
much prayer - much power

#whereu@?

baddison

natural for good
September 11, 2012

Devotional:
He must increase, but I [must] decrease. John 3:30 (KJV)

For John the Baptist, this ultimate formula for greatness did not take many words. What's your formula? Paul told the Galatians that a similar formula was needed for them (Galatians 4:19). He told the Colossians that this is what he expended every ounce of his energy to have happen in the lives of Christians (Colossians 1:28-29). Paul told the Corinthians that this was what the Spirit was doing in their lives (2 Corinthians 3:18). So, don't you think that maybe this is the real formula for your life?

PRAYER:
Dear Father in heaven, in my heart and in my life may Jesus become greater and I become less. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
The soul of the sluggard desireth, and [hath] nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat. Proverbs 13:4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 12, 2012

Devotional:
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin. James 4:17 (KJV)

Jesus taught this principle when he healed on the Sabbath (Mark 3:1-7) and told the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:29-37). Our Lord made it clear that to neglect to do a good deed for another in need, even if we had a religious excuse for not doing it, was to do evil. Let's be a people known for doing good deeds and sharing kindness. Let's not let any excuse, especially a religious excuse, interfere with our glorious and holy opportunities to serve others in the name of Jesus.

PRAYER:
Dear Father, please use me today to bless someone in need so that they may know your grace and so that Jesus, your Son and my Savior, will be glorified. In Jesus' sweet and precious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Better [is] the poor that walketh in his integrity, than [he that is] perverse in his lips, and is a fool. Proverbs 19:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 13, 2012

Devotional:
[[To the chief Musician on Neginoth, A Psalm of David.]] Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me [when I was] in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer. Psalm 4:1 (KJV)

At first, this cry for help seems very demanding. However, closer inspection shows that this is really the cry of desperation. Have you been there? I surely have and I regularly hear from folks who are there now. But, read how this Psalm ends! What is the secret to surviving a long agony? I believe three things are important: 1) honesty in our prayer life with God, 2) confidence that God hears and cares even when our prayers sizzle with pain and frustration, and 3) genuine praise for God included in our prayers even when things seem bleak. It's not a magical formula, but it is a Spirit-inspired one -- check it out in Psalm 4!

PRAYER:
O God, please hear my cry for relief, as well as the relief of those I love, from agony, burdens, and suffering. Please answer in amazing and miraculous ways so that we may not only be relieved, but so that you may be glorified as well. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning. Proverbs 16:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 14, 2012

Devotional:
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:2-3 (KJV)

Effort, sweat, and dedication seem to have become the profanity of western Christianity. To our age of grace-abusers, the Holy Spirit reaches out with his truth and reminds us that relationships on earth, even those in Jesus' Church, are going to require a lot of effort, gritty love, personal sacrifice, and rigorous determination. If we read Jesus' prayer for unity in John 17, how could we not make every effort to keep his Body unified and our relationship with his people loving and patient? Since our salvation was purchased at the cost of Jesus' sweat and blood, how can we balk when our best efforts are required to preserve the unity of his family?

PRAYER:
Dear Heavenly Father, forgive my impatience with others and lack of forgiveness for them. Stir your Spirit within me to curb my tongue, soften my heart, and extend more of an effort to others who need your blessing. Please use me to be a peacemaker in your Kingdom, O Lord. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 15, 2012

Devotional:
For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: 1 Thessalonians 4:3 (KJV)

Sanctified surely does sound "churchy," doesn't it? It means to be special, reserved for God's use and glory, and not common. We are to be an uncommon people! This is especially true in steering clear of sexual immorality. We're to stay far away from it, honoring God with our bodies (cf. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20) while celebrating God's plan for joyful sexual fulfillment in marriage (Proverbs 5; 1 Corinthians 7:1-7).

PRAYER:
Father God, please protect and empower me as I seek to resist sexual temptation in my sexually charged culture. I want to offer myself to you as a holy sacrifice, pleasing to you and a blessing to your people. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Say not thou, I will recompense evil; [but] wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee. Proverbs 20:22 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 17, 2012

Devotional:
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son [to be] the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10 (KJV)

Love is demonstrated, not just said. Love goes ahead sharing itself instead of waiting until things are easy or safe. Love redeems when all hope seems lost. Love is not only what God is, but it is also what he does and what he gives.

PRAYER:
Thank you, dear Heavenly Father, for loving me so extravagantly. Please help me to see the opportunities to love others whom you place in my path every day. Use me to demonstrate your love to someone today and each day that follows. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Proverbs 6:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 18, 2012

Devotional:
If any man speak, [let him speak] as the oracles of God; if any man minister, [let him do it] as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:11 (KJV)

We are given gifts to use in God's Kingdom for two reasons: 1) to bring glory to God, and, 2) to bless others. Whether we serve or speak, we are to do so with these two goals in mind, knowing that God will supply the strength to do what he has gifted us to do.

PRAYER:
Holy Father, thank you for not just saving me, but for also giving me abilities to use to bless your people and honor you. Help me see the ways you want me to use my gifts today, and every day that follows, to bless others. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[There are] many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand. Proverbs 19:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 19, 2012

Devotional:
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12 (KJV)

The idealistic passions of youth must not be rationalized away or patronizingly pushed to the side. If you are younger, you are not only part of the church of tomorrow, you are also God's servant today. Serve him mightily and be an example to those who are older! If you are older, don't look down on the enthusiasm of youth, but encourage it and be inspired to emulate it! Let's remember, some of our best examples are those who are younger who serve our Lord with a vibrant faith!

PRAYER:
Father, thank you so much for energetic, enthusiastic, and passionate Christians who are in the younger years of their adulthood. Empower their witness, bless their service, and keep their hearts pure as they grow and mature in your service. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD. But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death. Proverbs 8:35-36 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 20, 2012

Devotional:
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13 (KJV)

I don't know about you, but I know I've grown soft and spoiled because of all the conveniences that I have allowed into my life. Could I honor God with my praises and thanksgivings if these conveniences were to suddenly vanish? I hope so. I want to be like Paul and live with the assurance that I can withstand any situation with the help of Christ.

PRAYER:
O God, without you my strength would fade and my confidence would fail. Thankfully I will never have to worry about this because your grace, your Spirit, and your Son will strengthen me and help me weather any storm. Thank you, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. Proverbs 18:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 21, 2012

Devotional:
For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 1 Thessalonians 4:14 (KJV)

As horrible as the Cross was, it wasn't the final chapter of the Jesus story. Jesus died and then rose again. We can believe two things because of Jesus' resurrection: 1) that Jesus will return in glorious victory for those who have believed in him, and 2) that we will be with those we love who have fallen asleep in Christ when Jesus comes again.

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty Father, thank you for raising Jesus from the dead and giving me the assurance of eternal life with you, and with those I love who have already passed from this life into death. I look forward to the day Jesus returns in glory, with the angels of heaven, and brings complete victory over death. Thank you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy [is] understanding. Proverbs 9:10 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
September 22, 2012

Devotional:
Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. 1 Timothy 4:15-16 (KJV)

"Be diligent!" That's not a phrase you hear much about these days. We want things to come easily. Sweat in the world of pseudo-faith is frowned upon. But, Paul wanted Timothy (and us) to know that maturity in Christ requires genuine effort. Having a redemptive influence on others is hard work. While it is God's power that transforms, our effort is also required. God gives us the assurance that this effort will not only bear fruit in our own lives, but it will also lead others to salvation as well.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, please stir my confidence, courage, diligence, and determination so that the salvation you have blessed me with can be shared with others because of my life, my teaching, and my example. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The eyes of the LORD [are] in every place, beholding the evil and the good. Proverbs 15:3 (KJV)