Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
June 13, 2012

Devotional:
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set [him] at his own right hand in the heavenly [places], Ephesians 1:17-20 (KJV)

I still don't understand resurrection. I get the concept. I believe God did raise Jesus. Every once in a while, I experience that power through the Spirit's work in my life strengthening me for ministry, helping me love others in tough situations, comforting me when I'm broken, giving me insight when I study the Word, and strengthening me in the face of temptation. I am humbled, thrilled, and left longing for more. I want others I love to experience this awesome power. I'm sure it's the same with you. So let's join together today, thousands of us all around world, and let's pray for God to empower those closest to us to discover his power and to do great things through his Spirit who lives in them.

PRAYER:
Loving God, Almighty Father, please empower me today to live for you in glorious and wonderful ways. But Father, I don't just pray that I may do this, please empower those that I love to live for you. (Add the specific names of folks you want God to bless in this
way.) May we all know that the power in us tore away the bars of death that held Jesus captive. May we experience this transforming power and use it to your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not [in him] the lips of knowledge. Proverbs 14:7

baddison

natural for good
June 14, 2012

Devotional:
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Romans 1:20 (KJV)

What an incredible world we live in! The expanse of space is humbling. The majesty of the mountain peaks takes away our breath. On and on we could go, describing all the beautiful, magnificent, and awe-inspiring wonders of the universe. The variety, the order, the symmetry, and the unexpected all testify to God, the Genius behind it all.

PRAYER:
O LORD, Almighty God, your works of creation bedazzle me with your incredible sense of majesty, grace, wonder, awe, and beauty.
Thank you for making your fingerprints so clearly seen in our incredible world. In Jesus' name I praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. Proverbs 8:13

baddison

natural for good
June 15, 2012

Devotional:
Behold, the LORD thy God hath set the land before thee: go up [and] possess [it], as the LORD God of thy fathers hath said unto thee; fear not, neither be discouraged. Deuteronomy 1:21 (KJV)

A word of encouragement is indispensable at the start of a new journey, especially when the journey demands your leadership. Joshua is no longer second chair. He is no longer the backup to all-pro Moses. Now it is his turn to lead. The people he leads have only known the leadership of the incomparable Moses. How will he lead? He will lead trusting the promises of God and without fear or discouragement! How is this possible? Because the real leader of God's people hasn't really changed! God is still God. His word is still true. His promises are still trustworthy. His might is still all-powerful.

PRAYER:
O God, as I face increasing responsibilities and greater challenges, remind me of your promises, allay my fears, strengthen my resolve, and lead me by your will. May the victories in which I participate always bring glory and honor to you. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
By humility [and] the fear of the LORD [are] riches, and honour, and life. Proverbs 22:4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 16, 2012

Devotional:
In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: Colossians 1:22 (KJV)

"Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven!" You've probably seen this bumper sticker or something similar. In one sense this is absolutely true. But, from God's point of view, Christians ARE perfect. That's the incredible message Paul gives the Colossians. Because of Jesus' sacrifice, God does not see our imperfections. He sees us through Christ's perfection. Look at these concepts and marvel! Look at how God views you and give thanks! Be humbled by God's grace to us in Jesus and rejoice! Holy, without blemish, and free from accusation -- there's nothing left to say but "Hallelujah!"

PRAYER:
Father, thank you for providing the sacrifice that makes me clean. Thank you for seeing my worth through the perfection of Jesus and his sacrifice. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for paying off my debt to sin and for sharing your perfection with me. May my life today, and everyday, more closely resemble the perfection you have given me by your grace. In the name of my Savior Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: Proverbs 24:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 18, 2012

Devotional:
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 Peter 1:23 (KJV)

Words are powerful! They can maim, wound, and debilitate. They can also bless, encourage, and inspire. When those words are God's Word, they are even more important. God's Word -- the Scriptures, the Gospel -- is not only truth, but it is life! Alive and enduring, God's Word imparts life to us and gives us his message of eternal life. It tells us of his grace and teaches us how we can be born again. Let's not take it for granted ... or neglect its message ... or remain silent about its truth.

PRAYER:
Almighty and Eternal God, thank you for speaking to us through human words. Thank you for your Gospel that gives us the message of Jesus and your salvation for us in him. Please fuel my hunger to know your Word more fully and to live it more completely. Thank you for giving me a source of truth that is reliable, stable, and enduring. In the name of Jesus, your living Word, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The hoary head [is] a crown of glory, [if] it be found in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 19, 2012

Devotional:
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, [be] glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25 (KJV)

What a great cluster of truths are found in this one prayer of blessing. Our eyes are first drawn to what God can do for us -- prevent us from falling and present us before his glorious presence in joyful perfection. But on closer inspection, our hearts are drawn to the description of our incredible God: the one who is able, the only God, our Savior, the one who lives in glory and majesty and power and authority, the one who has communicated to us through Jesus our Lord, and the one who exists before all ages and who is alive now and who will be forevermore. Our blessings as God's children are incredible, but the reason why they are is that our God is beyond incredible, awesome, and wonderful. Our words cannot do him justice. Our brightest insights cannot comprehend the glory he has. Yet despite his grandeur, he loves you and me in our finite mortality!

PRAYER:
Awesome and Holy Lord Most High, thank you for not only being God, but for loving me and showing yourself to me in the face of Jesus. I look forward to standing in your presence, enjoying your shared perfection, and praising your glory with the angels. Please accept my limited and human praise until the day my words are unchained from their mortality and my imperfections are swallowed up in your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Poverty and shame [shall be to] him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured. Proverbs 13:18 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 20, 2012

Devotional:
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with your spirit. Amen. Philemon 1:25 (KJV)

Have you noticed how words of blessing are in such short supply? There is something about our fallen state that makes sarcasm and ridicule easier to use than blessing. But, in God's family, words are always to be used for the benefit and blessing of others. What simpler or kinder words do we need to use to bless others than these words Paul sent to Philemon? Let's find a way to say them ... and say them again ... and again ...

PRAYER:
Loving Father, you have blessed me so much with your grace. Please use me to be a blessing to everyone I meet today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Proverbs 13:24 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 21, 2012

Devotional:
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 (KJV)

While we are creatures made by a loving Creator, we are so much more than animals. There is something distinctive and special about a human being compared with the rest of creation. God made us to rule over the animal world. But rule does not mean ruin! Since creation is part of God's testimony to himself (Psalm 19 & Romans 1:20), then we certainly don't want to ruin that testimony. In fact, being made in God's likeness, we want to rule with the grace, benevolence, and care that God himself uses.

PRAYER:
Father, help me see all the beauty of your creation. Guard me from wastefulness. Guide me into the proper use of the natural resources with which you have so generously blessed me. Most of all, direct my decisions in the way I impact your creation. May my lifestyle and my personal life never damage the beauty of your voice in my world. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy [is] he. Proverbs 14:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 22, 2012

Devotional:
So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27 (KJV)

We are made in God's image. Not just the man. Not just the woman. Both male and female are made in God's image! Incredibly, this is not just true before the Fall. When God made us in the womb of our mothers (Psalm 139:13-16), he made us in his image (Genesis 9:6). Because people are precious to God, because we reflect something of the character of our Creator, each person is to be valued. None is to be denigrated, belittled, or cursed (James 3:9-12). People are precious, not only to God, but also to us because in some special way they reflect his image.

PRAYER:
Almighty Creator, please help me value each person I meet today because I am consciously aware that you have individually made them to reflect your character and nature. At the same time, bless me with spiritual growth as I consciously submit myself to your Spirit as you transform me to be more like you each day. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself. Proverbs 11:25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 23, 2012

Devotional:

Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Colossians 1:28 (KJV) The life of Jesus is transformational. The resurrection of Jesus is transformational. The Gospel of Jesus is transformational. Jesus' gift of the Spirit is transformational. The proclamation of Jesus is transformational. The work of Jesus is transformational. In other words, Jesus is the key, the center, the hub, and the heart of what we do and why we do it. Paul also reminds us that Jesus Christ is our goal.

PRAYER: Father, please forgive me. I confess that in my zeal to help others, I have sometimes lost sight of Jesus' power to change their lives and relied on my own meager resources. As I seek to know Christ more perfectly and as I seek to be more like Christ in my daily character, please use me to lead others to him and to be like him. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, the name above all names, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor. Proverbs 22:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 25, 2012

Devotional:
Then I said unto you, Dread not, neither be afraid of them. The LORD your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you, according to all that he did for you in Egypt before your eyes; Deuteronomy 1:29-30 (KJV)

Moses began his farewell message to Israel with a reminder of their parents' refusal to obey God's word to enter the Promised Land. With his death, these Israelites will have to follow a leader other than Moses for the first time in their lives. Moses wants them to know that their real Leader hasn't changed. God had done mighty things for them in Moses' day. Now God will do mighty things in their day through Joshua. They will have more than second hand deliverance stories to tell their grandchildren. They will be eyewitnesses of God's power and faithfulness. But they would have to obey this same command their parents ignored and own a faith that their ancestors did not have!

PRAYER:
Almighty and Sovereign LORD, all glory and honor goes to you for your mighty acts to redeem, to save, to fulfill, and to bless your people throughout the ages. I ask, dear LORD, please bless your people today with faith to expect your power, hearts to obey your Word, and eyes to see that your great work is not yet done. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD [tendeth] to life: and [he that hath it] shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil. Proverbs 19:23 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 26, 2012

Devotional:
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:30-31 (KJV)

Jesus is our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Let's unpack those church words. Righteousness -- the ability to stand before God and be declared free from guilt. Holiness -- the character and nature that reflect the glory and sanctity of heaven. Redemption -- the gift of freedom bought at great expense. Christians aren't perfect? Hmmm! We know this is true. But, because of Jesus' loving sacrifice, we also know that in God's eyes we're righteous, holy, and redeemed. That, dear friend of Jesus, is what we call amazing grace!

PRAYER:
How can I thank you, wise and merciful Father, for the gift of Jesus? Your love in formulating the plan to send him, your sacrifice in having him become mortal, your agony when your own creations murdered him are too wonderful for understanding. But in my heart I do know that you did these things because of your loving grace and I want to thank you and praise you forever. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
All the days of the afflicted [are] evil: but he that is of a merry heart [hath] a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 27, 2012

Devotional:
For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. Proverbs 1:29,31 (KJV)

Sometimes the natural consequence of rebellion is its own justice. Rebellion ultimately produces bad fruit, and wickedness is often its own worst punishment. In the face of such a generous God as we focused upon yesterday, how could we choose to follow any other path but his? It may seem harder in the short run, but in the long run there is simply no option that compares!

PRAYER:
Father of justice and mercy, thank you for saving me by your grace. Thank you for promising to judge the world with grace, mercy, and justice. In you, and you alone, do I find my sense of what is right and fair. I cry out to you, O God, for justice and deliverance for your people who are oppressed, ridiculed, and persecuted. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
Proverbs 4:25-26 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 28, 2012

Devotional:
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2 (KJV)

John wants to prevent even one sinful event in the lives of those he loves. He is concerned because he knows that even one sinful event can be used by Satan to discourage and defeat us. We need to know that we have a Savior and a defender. He paid the price to redeem us, he sent his Spirit to help us overcome sin's power, and he will speak to the Father and claim that right to forgive us.

PRAYER:
Father, I'm embarrassed by my weakness and vulnerability when I sin. Even in those moments of shame, I'm thankful that Jesus provided me the way back into your holy presence. Jesus, I thank you for coming to my rescue and my defense. I will not let Satan discourage me when I fall. Instead, I re-commit myself to live with your character and for your glory. In your name, Lord Jesus, my defender, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent [man] looketh well to his going. Proverbs 14:15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 29, 2012

Devotional:
Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, [and] thou heardest my voice. Jonah 2:1-2 (KJV)

Jonah was disobedient, rebellious, and selfish. He had run from the Lord. He had shunned the Lord's command. He had endangered the lives of those on the ship where he had tried to hide. Yet even in the middle of his rebellion, God heard his cry and delivered him. If you are in rebellion, if you are seeking to hide some secret and all-consuming sin, please know the Lord wants to ransom and redeem you! Things won't be easy, but coming back to the Lord means ultimate redemption and deliverance.

PRAYER:
Holy and righteous Father, please forgive me for the times that I am in rebellion to your will. Help me to recognize those times and give me the strength to avoid those temptations. In your grace, dear Father, please not only help me to live as you want me to live but also lead me to someone else who needs to know of your grace and redemption. Please use me to help them escape from their bondage to sin and shame. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 30, 2012

Devotional:
[Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Philippians 2:3 (KJV)

Humility is recognizing who God has made us to be and using that recognition to serve and redeem others. Living in humility as Jesus did, we don't just practice the golden rule, but we go one step better -- we treat others better than we would treat ourselves. Are we instructed to do this because we're unworthy or unfit? No! Jesus was worthy and glorious, but he counted others better than himself when he sacrificially gave himself to redeem them. It's a high standard. It's a hard standard. It is not for wimps. But it is ultimately glorious. (Hint: Read down through verse 10 and remember that the same type of reward will be given to the faithful!)

PRAYER:
Almighty God, thank you for adopting me as your child and making me holy and precious to you. Please help me to see myself as you do, and then, as one of your precious children, empower me to serve others in ways that help them see your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
Proverbs 3:1-2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 2, 2012

Devotional:
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) Ephesians 2:4-5 (KJV)

We have no claim to bring to God! We have no right to demand salvation! We have no power within us that can hold on to life! Only God's love can bring us life, hope, and grace. Only God's mercy can bring us salvation. Only God's gift of Christ can awaken us from the death-slumber of sin.

PRAYER:
Your love, mercy, and grace have saved me, dear Father. What can I do to praise you? You have shown your might, holiness, and majesty in redeeming me, dear God. What can I do to repay your grace? Your patience, perseverance, and faithfulness have touched my heart and brought me life. How can I ever find the words to say how much I love you? Thank you, dear Father, thank you for all you have done for me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased. Proverbs 9:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 3, 2012

Devotional:
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: Philippians 2:5-6 (KJV)

What a glorious thought! What a lofty aspiration! What an incredible challenge! I am to have the same attitude as Jesus had. It's almost unthinkable. But just almost! You see, God calls us to this glorious, lofty, and unthinkable height because he calls us his children. He wants us to be humble and to be a servant just as Jesus was.

PRAYER:
Almighty and Eternal Father, thank you for your unfathomable grace displayed in Jesus. Help his attitude of service, obedience, and sacrifice to pervade my soul and to influence my daily life. In the name of Jesus, Lord of lords I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The hoary head [is] a crown of glory, [if] it be found in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 4, 2012

Devotional:
As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, [so] walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Colossians 2:6-7 (KJV) Jesus is our center! He is the hub around which we turn. Rather than trying to add on to the truth of Jesus, we must learn to accept it and trust it in child-like faith. But that child-like faith must be nourished and grown. As Jesus remains our central focus and our hearts remain thankful to God for his grace, we will that our faith is strengthened and that Jesus is more real than ever.

PRAYER: Holy and Righteous God, please give me eyes to see evil and avoid it. Please give me wisdom to know deceptive and false teaching when it is placed before me. Empower me to live a thankful life of holiness so that I can live in Jesus to your honor and glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom: Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work [be] pure, and whether [it be] right. Proverbs 20:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 5, 2012

Devotional:
And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Genesis 2:7 (KJV)

We are God's creation. He fashioned and formed our original ancestors out of the dust of the ground. He molded each of us and created each of us in our mother's womb (Psalm 139:13-16). Like Adam, God fills us with his breath and blesses us with life. We are his workmanship, his artistry, made to experience life in all its fullness (John 10:10) and created to do his work in our world (Ephesians 2:10).

PRAYER:
Thank you for my life, dear God. Please don't let anyone, or anything, distract my heart from honoring you. Please do not let the evil one distort my sense of being your creation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. Proverbs 3:3-4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 6, 2012

Devotional:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9 (KJV)

As a child, I loved to receive gifts. In such a simple time of life, a gift meant I was loved. I didn't worry about the significance or hidden message in a gift. I wasn't concerned about the "strings attached" to the gift. It was just a gift -- a free expression of love I didn't deserve, given to me by someone who truly cared for me. Isn't it great to get to be God's child and receive his gift and know we can receive it as a child?!

PRAYER:
Thank you, generous Father, for the gift of grace, the gift of faith, the gift of salvation, and most of all, the gift of Jesus. I know I can never repay these gifts, but I look forward to saying "Thank you!" through my lifestyle now and I look forward to continuing to say "Thank you!" through all eternity. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed [are they that] keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Proverbs 8:32-33 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 7, 2012

Devotional:
Woe to him that coveteth an evil covetousness to his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of evil!
Habakkuk 2:9 (KJV)

In our "dog eat dog" world, in our race to get to the top and leave all our rivals in a heap at the bottom, God tells us both "Whoa!" and "Woe!" He tells us to stop and realize that Kingdom values are different from worldly values -- that there is no success without service. He also warns us that he will bring us to ruin if we ignore his values by placing ourselves above the well-being of others or pursuing our own success at the cost of our ethics.

PRAYER:
Gracious, almighty, and righteous God, please strengthen me so that I can resist the temptation to exploit, cheat, and lie to get ahead. Dear Father, I truly want to be a person of integrity, character, and blessing. Please help me to see any duplicity in my own heart and to treat others graciously, just as you have so graciously treated me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 9, 2012

Devotional:
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 (KJV)

Did you know that God is an artisan? Even more importantly, did you know that you are one of his masterpieces? God has designed us to be beautifully useful for doing good things! So let's not let anyone, especially not the evil one, convince us that we are not worth anything to others or to God. His grace has made our lives canvases upon which he will provide the world more masterpiece works of his artistry! Let's live up to God's high opinion of us.

PRAYER:
Thank you, dear Father, for knowing me and re-making me by your grace in Jesus. Use me to do your will and lead me to the appropriate people so that I can most effectively minister to them. In Jesus' grace-filled name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse. Proverbs 28:27 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 10, 2012

Devotional:
Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee: Proverbs 2:11 (KJV)

My greatest mistakes have been made in haste, when I didn't allow a little prayer time to consider what I was going to do or say. While discretion and understanding are acquired through learning and experience, they are also a gift from God. But this gift doesn't come on demand. It comes from patiently seeking, trusting, and waiting on the Lord's guidance and from longing to live for him as a person of character.

PRAYER:
Forgive me Father, for I fear that I am more often a "character" than I am a person of character. Forgive my selfish desire to play to the crowd. I confess that I sometimes try to be witty and popular, rather than being a person of discretion, understanding, and integrity. Help me please, dear LORD, to see through the temptation of haste and find your path to integrity. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 11, 2012

Devotional:
Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and be horribly afraid, be ye very desolate, saith the LORD. For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, [and] hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water. Jeremiah 2:12-13 (KJV)

Where do you turn to have the thirst of your soul slaked? I firmly believe that many addictive habits and sins are the result of pursuing things to satisfy this thirst in our soul by some means other than seeking God. He is the only source of true and lasting refreshment, satisfaction, and fulfillment. Let's pursue God, knowing that only he can satisfy the desire of our souls.

PRAYER:
Thank you, O God, that you care that my soul thirsts with superhuman thirst. Thank you for providing your Living Water through the Holy Spirit to satisfy this longing deep within my soul. Help me see the deceptiveness of every false source of satisfaction so that I can find my thirst properly and fully satisfied in you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old. Proverbs 23:22 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 12, 2012

Devotional:
And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he [is] gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. Joel 2:13 (KJV)

One of the most amazing things about our God is that he is so gracious and compassionate. This is true even when we've "blown it big time." In fact, when we sin, he longs to forgive and cleanse, not condemn and punish. His grace rushes to greet our genuine heartbreak and heart-change with forgiveness, cleansing, and redemption.

PRAYER:
Dear Father, when I sin, please help me see my sin as you do. Help my heart break over my sin when I've rebelled against you. I don't want to ever become callused or cold to your grace. I want to always appreciate the great cost you paid to redeem, to forgive, and to cleanse me with you grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established. Proverbs 16:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 13, 2012

Devotional:
For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea. Habakkuk 2:14 (KJV)

What a glorious day when this promise is fully realized! Let's make every effort and commit ourselves to the task of making our glorious God known to every nation, tribe, language, and people.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, please lead me to someone who needs to know your salvation. Please bless your servants all around the world as they share your message with others. Please give them success and hasten the day when this glorious promise becomes fully realized. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Every man] shall kiss [his] lips that giveth a right answer. Proverbs 24:26 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 14, 2012

Devotional:
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: Philippians 2:14-15 (KJV) We shouldn't be surprised that unbelievers around us have a different set of values than we do. After all, a star isn't surprised to find that it shines in the great expanse of darkness surrounding it. You see, a star and a disciple of Jesus share one basic purpose: shining our light in the darkness, no matter how great that darkness!

PRAYER: Holy and righteous LORD, I can only anticipate the day I see your glory and stand in your presence. Please give me the courage and integrity to be a light to those around me overwhelmed by the darkness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 16, 2012

Devotional:
For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for [one] covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously. Malachi 2:16 (KJV)

In a throw-away world, God wants us to know that he hates it when we throw away people. Let's call each other to God's standard, to God's holiness. Let's not let our spirits be corrupted by selfishness and resentment. Let's not break faith with God by treating those closest to us with contempt. And in a world where people get broken by divorce, let's go find them, include them, and bring them home to God's family for healing.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, please make our words strong, our commitments lasting, and our lives faithful to the promises we make to you and to each other. Thank you for the great example of so many of your people who have had incredibly strong marriages. Bless me and my house with a legacy of faithfulness that lasts for generations to come. In addition, dear Father, please use me to bring home to you those who have been broken and disheartened in marriages that failed. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (KJV)

Butterfly08

July 14, 2012

Devotional:
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: Philippians 2:14-15 (KJV) We shouldn't be surprised that unbelievers around us have a different set of values than we do. After all, a star isn't surprised to find that it shines in the great expanse of darkness surrounding it. You see, a star and a disciple of Jesus share one basic purpose: shining our light in the darkness, no matter how great that darkness!

PRAYER: Holy and righteous LORD, I can only anticipate the day I see your glory and stand in your presence. Please give me the courage and integrity to be a light to those around me overwhelmed by the darkness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)

Love this one, very timely.