Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
May 9, 2012

Devotional:
O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee. Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed for my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God of Israel. Psalm 69:5-6 (KJV)

While we're all weak and sinful, and while we do have Jesus to atone for our sins and to intercede before the Father on our behalf, there are still a couple of big problems with our sin. This verse reminds us of one of them: we don't want our sin to be an embarrassment to God or his people. Let's avoid sin because that is what God wants us to do. Let's avoid sin so it won't reflect badly on God's people. But let's also pray for ourselves and our brothers and sisters in Christ that God will not allow our failures to bring shame on his Church, his Christ, and his cause.

PRAYER:
Forgive me, loving Shepherd, for my sins. I am sorry for rebelling against your grace. I am fully confident that you have forgiven and cleansed me of my sins through Jesus' sacrifice. But please, dear God, use your divine power to prevent them from bringing shame or embarrassment on you and your people. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 10, 2012

Devotional:
Grace [be] to you and peace from God the Father, and [from] our Lord Jesus Christ, Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father: Galatians 1:3-4 (KJV)

Jesus comes to our rescue! Why? Because he knows the times in which we live aren't easy. He knows that the world in which we live is caught up in wickedness. That, however, is not the only reality. He gives us great victory through his Cross. No wonder we can greet each other with grace and peace. He purchased them for us.

PRAYER:
Father, please help me distinguish between good and evil as I confront them daily in my life. Make evil repulsive to me despite the many ways that Satan tries to make it look seductive. Thank you, Jesus, for coming to my rescue when I was a sinner, unable to save myself. Thank you for sharing your grace and giving me peace. Through the blessed Holy Spirit I offer my thanks and praise in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
As righteousness [tendeth] to life: so he that pursueth evil [pursueth it] to his own death. Proverbs 11:19 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 11, 2012

Devotional:
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. Galatians 4:4-5 (KJV)

God sent his Son. No one else would do. He had sent prophets, priests, and preachers. Religion remained earthbound, legalistic, and doomed. So God sent what is most precious to him, his Son. Why? So measly human beings such as you and I could be adopted into his family and have the same rights as the Savior, God's Son and our brother in the faith!

PRAYER:
Thank you, Holy God, for bringing me back into your family through your Son. Thank you for not treating me as my sins deserve. Thank you for not leaving me under Law, but redeeming me through your grace into a dynamic love relationship as your child. Thank you for your plan of redemption that wound its way through Old Testament history until the time came to fulfill all your promises. Thank you for sending your Son. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. Ephesians 5:1-2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 12, 2012

Devotional:
And thou Bethlehem, [in] the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel. Matthew 2:6 (KJV)

The birth of Jesus at Bethlehem is no accident. The Almighty God had foretold this many years earlier through his prophets. Even Herod's religious lackeys could determine that the Messiah was to be born in the quaint old city of David. The human birth of the promised Messiah would occur in the city of Israel's great King, poet, and shepherd. This was God's plan. It is also a reminder that God keeps his word and fulfills his promises.

PRAYER:
Loving God, I find it hard to complete my plans and fulfill my promises. This makes the unfolding of your plans, foretold throughout the winding story of the Old Testament, so amazing to me. Please use your Spirit to remind me during the darker moments of my soul that you do fulfill your promises and will bring your deliverance right on time. Please give me patience to wait faithfully, and to live courageously, for your salvation to be fully revealed. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Happy [is he] that [hath] the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope [is] in the LORD his God: Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein [is]: which keepeth truth for ever: Psalm 146:5-6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 14, 2012

Devotional:
And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust. Romans 15:12 (KJV)

When Jesus came, he did come to the nation of Israel, according to the promises made to God's people. He was a proper descendant of King David, the son of Jesse. His birth was prophesied by Jewish prophets and recorded in the Bible of the Israelite people. But no matter how Jewish his origins, Jesus came for all people in fulfillment of Old Testament promises that God would save all nations through Israel and the Jewish Messiah. While David brought Israel great power and notoriety as an awesome warrior and King, Jesus brought the reign of grace to the hearts of millions of Jews and non-Jews by conquering death and bringing true life.

PRAYER:
Father, as this year draws to a close and ethnic and religious emotions are stirred around the world, please bless us with peace. Give us a deep sense of your love and presence. Shepherd us in your grace. At the same time, rekindle in our hearts your desire to bring all people together in peace through salvation in Jesus. Please bless your children throughout the world who are lovingly sharing your gospel to a culture other than their own. Bless them as they are apart from their families. Most of all, bless them with the joy of their desire -- using them to lead someone to salvation during this holiday season. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 15, 2012

Devotional:
That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; 1Timothy 6:18 (KJV)

Generosity is such a wonderful thing -- not just to those on the receiving end, but also to those who are on the giving end. Those of us who can read this devotional on a computer via e-mail are rich by the world's standards, so this passage on being generous with our blessings is especially applicable. Let this giving-time of the year be God's opportunity to reawaken in us the need to be generous with our time, energy, and monetary blessings year round.

PRAYER:
O loving God, you have been so generous with me and blessed me with so many incredible blessings. Thank you! Stir in my heart an awareness of the joy of giving. Make my heart more like your own, generous and gracious. Break down the anxiety and miserliness that sometimes cloud my vision and keep me from sharing my time, money, energy, and love as I should. Thank you for showing me how to be generous in Jesus. I pray this in the name of Jesus, my Savior and Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 16, 2012

Devotional:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1 (KJV)

God's Message of salvation was with him at creation. In fact, by nature, the one who was the Message was God himself. John wants us to know that Jesus, God's Word and ultimate Message, was with God from the very beginning. The one who turns water to wine, feeds the 5000, and raises Lazarus didn't make his human appearance on earth until he was born in Bethlehem, but he has always been there. He is God with us, as Matthew puts it (Matthew 1:23). He is God come to visit us as Luke tells us (Luke 7:16). He is the Son of God as Mark reminds (Mark 1:1). He is God's ultimate and final Word (Hebrews 1:1-2)!

PRAYER:
Father, help me better know your Message, both in print and in life. Please teach me more about Jesus and his heart for people and his love for you. May he be my Lord in word, deed, and motivation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more. 2 Corinthians 5:16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 17, 2012

Devotional:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16 (KJV)

God wants us to have life! Real life. Life that lasts forever with him! That's why he sent Jesus, so we could have life. That is why Jesus left him and came to earth. That is why Jesus endured the Cross and its humiliation. That's why Jesus rose from the dead. God loves us with an everlasting love in Jesus! What other Christmas gift can compare? "O come, let us adore him!"

PRAYER:
Of all your gifts, loving Father, none can compare to Jesus. You are worthy of praise simply because of who you are. You are worthy of honor because of all that you have done. You are worthy of praise because of your mighty acts. Most of all, you are worthy of my heart, soul, mind, and strength because of your love demonstrated in Jesus. Thank you for the greatest gift of all! In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. Proverbs 27:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 18, 2012

Devotional:
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:17 (KJV)

God is not about condemnation. I know that Satan got the rumor started a long time ago, but don't believe it. God is not some fiendish teacher looking to flunk and embarrass his students. He is not some cantankerous judge looking to shame, humiliate, and punish all who interlope into his court, innocent or not. He is not some gossip spreading rumors about our shortcomings across the neighborhoods of heaven. No, this God wants to bless us with his salvation. He wants to dispense mercy and grace. He wants us to be his children. Yet he is also holy, righteous, awesome, and just. So when these two realities of God collide, there is only one solution: Jesus! God sent Jesus to save people of all nations and races and cultures from sin and death -- yes, even us!

PRAYER:
I praise you, O God, for your desire to save me. I thank you for demanding holiness from me to save me from the havoc sin causes in my life. I thank you for calling me to righteousness, so that my life will be a blessing to others and not a burden. I thank you for challenging me to have your character, so that others can see your glory in my good deeds. So please use me, Father. I know I am flawed, but I want to be one of your tools letting the lost know about your mercy and grace in Jesus. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good

May 19, 2012

Devotional:

Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for [your] food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;) 2 Corinthians 9:10 (KJV)

God has blessed us so much in Jesus. Yet God longs to bless us even more. Why? God longs to bless us because ... he is a generous God ... because he is our loving Father ... because that is his nature ... because he wants us to be like him! God blesses us to be a blessing to others!

PRAYER:
You have so richly blessed me, LORD, so please help me see the opportunities you build into each day for me to bless others. Make me a conduit of your blessings. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 21, 2012

Devotional:
Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: To God only wise, [be] glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen. Romans 16:25-27 (KJV)

God doesn't just bless us. He establishes us! He makes us strong! He matures us into solid and true disciples. He does this in many ways. One of the most important, however, is through the words the Holy Spirit inspired and shared with us through Jesus' early disciples. As this year moves towards its close and another stands at the door, let's make a renewed commitment to spend time each day in the Bible. Let's not let this powerful tool and great resource for living be relegated to being a coffee-table book or a good luck charm to take with us to church.

PRAYER:
I thank you, O God, for your Spirit that breathed out your message through human agents. I thank you for those human partners who shared the Spirit's message with us in Scripture. I thank you for the many fine translations of the Bible that are available to us today. I thank you for the freedom to have a copy of the Bible in my home. Please help me not squander the incredible blessing of your written word. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for [one] covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously. Malachi 2:16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 22, 2012

Devotional:
For where envying and strife [is], there [is] confusion and every evil work. James 3:16 (KJV)

So, what are your goals and plans for the remainder of the year? Do you have great dreams and laudable goals? I hope so. But, please join me as I seriously look at why I set the goals I do and make the plans I make. In the afterglow of Christmas and New Years, that great season of giving, let's make sure our plans for the future are not selfish or based on envy, lust, or greed. Instead, let's set our hearts to reach great heights for God's glory and to do great things to be a blessing to others. Otherwise, all our attempts to reach great things ultimately will end in chaos, heartbreak, and destruction.

PRAYER:
Eternal God, please be with me as I seek to set goals for the coming months. I want to do great things for your glory. Please use me to accomplish your will in the world in which I live and in the group of people to whom you have sent me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John 1:14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 23, 2012

Devotional:
I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them. Isaiah 42:8-9 (KJV)

No matter what happens over the next few days, months, or years, God is already there! He is not bound by space and time. He creates reality by his powerful word. While some may tremble with fear because of the unknown, Christians can take comfort in knowing that wherever we find ourselves, our Father is already there. He is already working on our deliverance and salvation. Even now he is declaring new things for us -- things about our future that we cannot see. So as we journey into our unknown future, let's make sure we journey with the one to whom the future is not unknown.

PRAYER:
Thank you Father! You know where my life and my world are headed. With so much tumult about the changing of the year and the passing of time, I consciously and confidently trust that my future is in your hands. There is no other place I would rather it be! Please bless me with confidence and banish anxiety from my heart as your future unfolds before me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 24, 2012

Devotional:
The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1:2-3 (KJV)

Jesus was there. He was with God in the beginning. But he was more than just a witness of Creation; he created it! Jesus, who allowed himself to be limited to human flesh and to die a cruel and agonizing death on the Cross, was there at the beginning as the Word speaking our world into existence. He made it. It is his. Yet he came and died to redeem it. More specifically, he came to redeem you and me. So when the Word speaks to us telling us how to live to please God, don't you think we'd better pay attention? Better yet, don't you think we ought to do it?

PRAYER:
Holy Father, your plan to save me overwhelms and humbles me. That you would send Jesus, the Word who created the world that I know, is more wonderful than I can fully grasp. That he would allow himself to be limited to the world he had made boggles my imagination. That he would die for me so that I can live with you captures my heart! Please help me as I seek to live my life based on his teachings and your will. In the name of Jesus, the Living Word, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 1 Peter 1:13 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 25, 2012

Devotional:
Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; Hebrews 1:3 (KJV)

We talk about Mother Nature, but did you know that Scripture identifies Jesus as the power behind the order of our universe? He sustains our world by his powerful word. Not only did he save us by the sacrifice of his life, but he also sustains us by his word. He sustains us spiritually by his word of teaching and sustains our world by his word of power and grace.

PRAYER:
Please be with me, Almighty God, as I commit to live for you based on Jesus' word. Help me as I seek to understand it and apply it. More than that, dear Father, please help me to come to know you through his words. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 26, 2012

Devotional:
Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; Philippians 1:4-5 (KJV)

As we continue in this throughout the year, let's remember those with whom we are partnered in mission and outreach. If we are evangelists or missionaries by calling, then let's make a commitment to pray a prayer of praise and thanksgiving for our supporting partners. If we are members of a supporting congregation, then let's give thanks for being able to support those who share the Gospel in foreign lands and those who work among different cultures and in different locations in our own country. To share in God's work with God's people is truly a great blessing and privilege!

PRAYER:
Father of all peoples, give your Church a greater sense of partnership in reaching those who do not know your saving grace. Bless those everywhere who share the truth of Jesus with love, courage, and faithfulness. In the name of the only true Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] ye may prolong [your] days in the land which ye shall possess. Deuteronomy 5:33 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 28, 2012

Devotional:
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 2 Peter 1:5-7 (KJV)

Sometimes we get so frightened by the thought of "works-won" salvation that we forget that love and grace ultimately call us to action, and not just reflection. Action means effort. That's exactly what Peter is calling us to make -- "every effort." Peter explains why this effort is important in the next few verses. "If we possess these qualities in increasing measure," they help us be productive in our knowledge of Jesus! Let's be productive! As we make "every effort," we can be assured that the Holy Spirit is the power at work producing the fruit that makes effectiveness possible!
(cf. Galatians 5:22-25)

PRAYER:
Mold me and make me, Father, more perfectly conformed to your will and more perfectly consistent with your character. I do not pray this for my glory, but so that you can more effectively use me to share your blessings and grace with those around me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[[To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.]] The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalm 19:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 29, 2012

Devotional:
And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost: 1 Thessalonians 1:6 (KJV)

We find it so easy to let our circumstances determine our moods. Paul reminds this group of new Christians under attack that their new life in Christ had brought them joy despite the outwardly harsh circumstances they were facing. Their joy was not the fleeting, circumstance-determined veneer. Instead, they had welcomed the powerful message of salvation with joy! This joy was not dependent upon their circumstances. It was rooted in their Savior's example, in his abiding presence through the Holy Spirit, and the salvation available through Jesus.

PRAYER:
Dear heavenly Father, please make my joy immune to outward circumstances and please empower that joy by your Holy Spirit. Please bless me as I seek to conform my life and attitude to the example of my Savior. Please help me become a better example of spiritual joy to those around me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes. Revelation 7:16-17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 30, 2012

Devotional:
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 (KJV)

As we draw near to the Lord and live for him, two amazing blessings come our way. First, we find that our sins are forgiven and we're cleansed of those sins thanks to the loving sacrifice of Jesus. Second, we find that we are not alone in this wonderful cleansing. True fellowship among believers is built when folks seeking the Lord find each other in his presence. This fellowship isn't forced or contrived, just heavenly.

PRAYER:
Almighty and holy God, I want to honor Jesus' sacrificial death by living a life that is pure, honorable, and holy. Thank you for providing my cleansing through Jesus' blood and leading me to others who live for you. Please intensify my hunger to know you, your Son, and other believers more. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
May 31, 2012

Devotional:
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Joshua 1:8 (KJV)

We need to be reminded, just like Joshua and the Israelites, that God gave us his Law to be a blessing to his people. The Law was given to help Israel live the will of God in their daily lives. If they would live God's way, he promised they would be blessed. In addition, God is the Creator. He knows the best way for humans to live in harmony with the principles of his universe. His Law was not intended to hinder or interfere with the happiness and experience of his people. Instead, it was to help them prosper and find success in life. As Paul repeatedly reminds us in Galatians, we are no longer under Law. But, as we live by the Spirit, the character that is produced reflects the character of Jesus, the one who fulfilled the Law and brings us the blessings God has intended all along. Bottom line: Following God's will and living his character is a blessing to us!

PRAYER:
Loving Father, thank you for speaking your will in human words so I can better know how to live for you. I know obeying your will blesses me and those around me. Empower me with your Spirit so that your character and grace will be fully realized in my life and my example. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; Ephesians 3:16-17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 1, 2012

Devotional:
For this cause we also, since the day we heard [it], do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; Colossians 1:9 (KJV)

Paul wrote these words to the Christians at Colossae, but he had never been there. Despite his lack of "in person" knowledge, he ministered effectively to the Colossians. He prayed specifically for them to better know God and his will for them. What a great idea! Let's find a mission church (inner city, overseas, hostile environment) and start praying consistently for that congregation, asking God to help them know him and his will more perfectly.

PRAYER:
Holy and all powerful God, bless my church family with a deeper knowledge and appreciation of your nature, character, and grace. In addition, please bless ___ (add your mission church of choice) with growth, health, and most of all, knowledge of you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 2, 2012

Devotional:
My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not. Proverbs 1:10 (KJV)

The real issue isn't "if" but "when"! Our children face tremendous peer pressure. We do, too! We must help them resist the enticements of this pressure. Also, we must never tire in resisting them ourselves.

PRAYER:
O God, I do face temptations and enticements. Please guard my heart, my life, and my example. Help me be a person of character and integrity. In addition, please enable me to lead, protect, guard, and warn my children -- both those who are my children in the flesh and those in the faith. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! Psalm 139:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 4th, 2012

Devotional:
And there came a voice from heaven, [saying], Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Mark 1:11 (KJV)

Shortly after Jesus' baptism, he went to face Satan in a grueling 40 days of temptation. Remember what Satan's opening words were? "If you are the Son of God..." Wasn't it great that God had already reassured him of his relationship before it was questioned? What do those you love need to hear from you today? You don't know when their time of trial will come; you just know it will, so go ahead and reassure them before it's necessary!

PRAYER:
Almighty and loving Father, please help me to say the right words of love and affection to those whom I love so that when temptation comes, or when others try to draw them away from me, they will not doubt my love for them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Great [is] the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness [is] unsearchable. Psalm 145:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 5, 2012

Devotional:
Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. James 1:12 (KJV)

This beatitude comes from Jesus' brother. He had experienced it and not just taught it! James knew it was worth "hanging in" and "hanging on" when his faith was under attack. He affirmed that God loves us and that he has made incredible promises about what lies ahead for us. He knew that eventually our period of testing would be transformed into a time of great blessing. James wants us to know that God longs to bless us with life! After all, that's why he sent Jesus. (cf. John 10:10)

PRAYER:
Dear LORD and Father, thank you for all those times that you strengthened me when I was under attack and sustained me when I was weary and ready to quit. Write "perseverance" deep within my soul and give me a spirit of tenacity so that I might serve you no matter what the outward circumstances of my life may be. In the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 6, 2012

Devotional:
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, [even] the forgiveness of sins: Colossians 1:13-14 (KJV)

Rescued! Redeemed! Forgiven! Those are the three concepts in this short passage. But, maybe the most important one of all is represented by the phrase, "Son he loves." God didn't save us with a plan, or a message, or a clean and immaculate process. Instead, he took what was most precious to him and offered Jesus up as our salvation. The cost was enormous. The love involved was overwhelming. The result is our greatest gift.

PRAYER:
Almighty God and Loving Father, neither my words nor my deeds could ever repay the gift you have given me in Jesus. Jesus, my appreciation for your sacrifice moves me to tears of joyful thanksgiving. For all that you have done, for all that you have made me, and for all that it cost you, I praise you and offer my life as a sacrifice of praise. In your name, Lord Jesus, I offer up my praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; Hebrews 3:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 7, 2012

Devotional:
Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:14 (KJV)

God is true to his word. He keeps his promises. But, that was not enough for him. He gave us a down payment, a deposit, so we could be sure of our inheritance and look forward to the full realization of our salvation. He gave us the Holy Spirit. When God buys us out of slavery to our mortal bodies and redeems us into our eternal home with bodies that will not grow old or decay, we won't need the deposit; we will have the full inheritance. But until then, until we go to him, isn't it amazing that he makes his home within us!

PRAYER:
Transcendent and yet ever-near God, thank you for not making me wait to experience your presence. Thank you for giving me "a foretaste of glory divine." Thank you for sending your blessed and promised Spirit to live in me and remind me where my home truly is. Until the day I see you face-to-face, I want to honor your presence in my mortal body by living a life that is pure, holy, and a blessing to others. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 8, 2012

Devotional:
Unto the pure all things [are] pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving [is] nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. Titus 1:15 (KJV)

Rust stains, grass stains, blood stains, chocolate stains -- ARGH! Those stains are real nightmares in the laundry room. They don't just leave a stain on the surface of the fabric, but they also leave a residue that infiltrates the fibers of our clothes. Evil is that way. We must not kid ourselves. Evil corrupts and leaves a residue that corrupts everything it touches, including the hearts of otherwise decent people. That's why we are urged to stay far away from evil and avoid its very appearance. That's also why Jesus died: to not only overcome the Evil One, but to also clean away the stain and its residue.

PRAYER:
Father, guard my path and give me good Christian friends who will help guard my life from evil. In addition, dear Father, please help me as I seek to share the cleansing and liberating power of Christ with those around me who are caught in evil's destructive and deceptive grasp. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For all the gods of the nations [are] idols: but the LORD made the heavens. Psalm 96:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 9, 2012

Devotional:
And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, [or] to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people [shall be] my people, and thy God my God: Ruth 1:16 (KJV)

This beautiful statement of loyalty makes its way into thousands of weddings each year. Incredibly, this wasn't originally a pledge of a bride or groom. Instead, it was the pledge of Ruth to her mother-in-law -- some would call her an ex-mother-in-law since Ruth's husband, Naomi's son, had died, but Ruth never treats Naomi as an "ex" of any kind. God loves loyalty and bestows his blessing and favor when we are loyal to others. In an era where people are thrown away as readily as paper plates and napkins, let's remember that loyalty is a quality that God not only loves, but it is also a quality that he defines for us in Jesus. So let's see loyalty to friends, to family, and to other followers of Jesus as a crucial commitment.

PRAYER:
Almighty and faithful God, thank you for your loyalty to your covenant promises to Israel. Thank you for not giving up on your people or your promises despite the fickleness and unfaithfulness of your people. Bless us today as we seek to be a loyal and honorable people, your true children in a turbulent and treacherous world. May the light of faithfulness that is seen through us beckon others to find stability and hope in your grace and in your people. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Let] love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Romans 12:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 11, 2012

Devotional:
Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. Isaiah 1:17 (KJV)

"A man's got to take care of himself!" Yeah, we do have to be responsible folks. But, part of being responsible, part of being blessed -- at least as God sees it -- is to care for others, to stick up for the disadvantaged, and to intervene when someone else is being exploited. After all, we are our "brother's and sister's keeper!"

PRAYER:
Remove the heart of selfishness, O God, that keeps me from caring for the downtrodden, abused, forgotten, and broken. Give me your eyes of concern and Jesus' heart of compassion to see them and minister to them. In his name, the Lord Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Acts 2:24 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
June 12, 2012

Devotional:
Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 1 Peter 1:18-19 (KJV)

A: "How much did it cost?" B: "What? This old thing? This sack of bones and blood and brain? This heart and mind and soul that live inside?" A: "Yeah! How much did it cost?" B: "It cost the greatest gift of heaven to redeem it and make me whole. That's how much God thinks of me. Incredible, isn't it?!"

PRAYER:
Father, I am bewildered, humbled, and thrilled to know that you value me so highly. Forgive me for cheapening myself with sin, for dwelling on things that are petty, and for chasing after things that are worthless. Thank you for loving me so. By your Spirit, please help me live up to the value you see in me and aspire to the lofty life you call me to live. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Proverbs 4:6 (KJV)