Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
March 1, 2012

Devotional:
A man [that hath] friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend [that] sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24 (KJV)

Who are your closest friends? Good friends are hard to come by in a world of superficial acquaintances and shallow relationships. "Hanging with the crowd" can give us a false sense of belonging, but often leaves us wounded and alone in times of trouble. Open, honest, supportive, and loving relationships don't happen without investment. Ask the Lord to lead you to close friends in his family. Minister to and serve those around you. Listen to their requests, faithfully upholding them in prayer. Spend time in Christian service with other servant believers. Join yourself to a Bible study or accountability group. As you do, trust that God will give you that "stick-through-thick-and-thin-friend." Companions are easy to find, but can be unreliable. Development of Christian friends is an investment of effort and time, but they are friends with whom we will share forever.

PRAYER:
Precious God, I thank you for my friends (include the names of friends). Please, dear Father, lead me into the life of someone this week who needs me to be his or her friend. Bless all those who read Today's Verse with a Christian friend that will help them in their walk with you. Thank you so much, dear Father, for my greatest friend, Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 2, 2012

Devotional:
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things [are] possible to him that believeth. Mark 9:23 (KJV)

Jesus is the ultimate one "who believes." All things ARE possible for him. Guess what? He longs to do great things through us, too! In fact, he promised he would do even greater things through us than he did himself because he is now at the Father's side helping us! (See John 14:12-14.) So isn't it time that we quit talking about what we can't do, and start believing in the one who can do great things? Paul put it this way: God can do "more than we can ask or imagine by his power at work in us." (Ephesians 3:20-21)

PRAYER:
Great Almighty God, Ruler of the nations, Creator of the universe, and Lord of all things, please forgive me. Forgive me for my wimpy and limited prayers. Forgive me for getting involved in petty quarrels over mundane and irrelevant things. Forgive me for my spiritual lack of vision. Please stir me by your Spirit. Please open my eyes so that I can see what you long to do through me. Please empower me to be a powerful witness to our world trapped in darkness. Please give me incredible dreams for your Kingdom, then astound me by doing far more than I ever imagined. In the name of Jesus, and to your glory, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Better [is] a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. Proverbs 15:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 3, 2012

Devotional:
For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward. Mark 9:41 (KJV)

This simple and clear passage cuts two ways: First, we are blessed when we bless God's children, even if the blessing is simple. Second, we can rejoice when others do the simplest things to bless us in Jesus' name, because we receive the kindness and grace of others and because God blesses that kindness with his overwhelming grace. Bottom line -- let's live to be a blessing! When we do, God is blessed. We are blessed. We bless others. In addition, when others are gracious to us, God has also promised to bless them. God pours his blessings out on all of us. In God's miraculous economy, the more we bless each other, the more blessings there are for everyone!

PRAYER:
Gracious and loving Father, please use me this week to be a blessing to everyone around me. But this week, dear Father, please lead me into the life of someone who desperately needs your grace.
Please give me discernment to see them when you bring them across my path. Give me courage to reach out and bless them. Keep them on my heart and help me as I seek to be a long-term blessing to them. In Jesus' name I ask for your help and grace to use this opportunity for your glory. Amen.

Wisdom:
Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; [and] them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body. Hebrews 13:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 5, 2012

Devotional:
Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother: And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart. Zechariah 7:9-10 (KJV)

Do you want a clear, simple, straightforward word from the Lord today? That's what Zechariah gives us. He reminds us that God wants us to be fair, compassionate, caring, without prejudice, and tenderhearted to those in need, and to give each other the benefit of the doubt. In other words, he wants us to treat each other like Christ treated people. Why? Because we can't be right with God and be wrong with people!

PRAYER:
Loving Father, please forgive me for the times I've gotten bogged down with hard-to-understand verses in Scripture and ignored your clear teaching on how to live. Please give me the opportunity this week to live like you have commanded me. In the future, when my heart grows cold or my response to others is not what it should be, please use your Spirit to bring to my remembrance this passage so that I might live it to your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. [Seeing] then [that] all these things shall be dissolved, what manner [of persons] ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 2 Peter 3:10-12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 6, 2012

Devotional:
But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
1 John 2:5-6 (KJV)

Do you want to know who walks with Jesus each day? Look for folks whose lives look like his! Do you want to walk with Jesus? Look at his life in the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). See how he treated people; then do the same! Notice how he defeated Satan and overcame temptation. Trust that you can do the same! As you do these things, you will find that Jesus is not only walking with you, he is also working through you!

PRAYER:
Stir my spirit, O God, and empower me with your Spirit to live a life of integrity and purity like Jesus. Please give me a heart for people, dear Father, like your Son Jesus has. Help me to not only see their needs and hear their cries, but to also respond with love and compassion. In the name of my Savior Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken. Amos 5:14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 7, 2012

Devotional:
Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. Proverbs 20:1 (KJV)

Rather than spending millions on ad campaigns filled with bright lights, leggy blondes, fast cars, and handsome young studs like the alcohol industry does, God plainly states the truth: We are unwise to be in bondage to anything that makes us look foolish, that destructively incites our passions, and that opens us up to temptation. If your experience with alcohol has led to any of these, please seek the help of a strong Christian friend who can help you find freedom. If you are not in bondage to these, please keep those who have been hurt by alcohol and drug abuse in your prayers and fellowship.

PRAYER:
Father, my heart hurts today for every person, and every family, under the grip of Satan because of alcohol and drug abuse. Please bless those who are terrorized by a loved one in addiction's grip. Please give them the strength to seek help and not remain alone and silent. Please awaken their loved one to the truth of his/her destructive lifestyle. Please prepare the people who can help them begin the road to recovery, health, and freedom that you so long to give them. Please use us, your Church, as a place of healing and hope for those whose lives are caught in this tragic trap. In Jesus' name I pray for your mighty help and power. Amen.

Wisdom:
For [it is] better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. 1 Peter 3:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 8, 2012

Devotional:
[And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Colossians 2:15 (KJV)

Crucifixion was so hideous, so inhumane and vile, that the word "crucify" was not considered appropriate in polite speech in Greek culture. Crucifixion was reserved for the scum of society who were considered a threat to the government. Jesus endured this hideous death. But what Satan had intended for the humiliation of God, Jesus turned into the humiliation of Satan and his evil angels. He made a public spectacle of them. He turned their torture stick of shame into an altar of glory. He transformed the gory fury of hell into a sacrifice of forgiveness. He redirected evil's power to kill and made it a place to heal. While we deplore the unspeakable sacrifice and shame that Jesus bore on the cross for us, we also rejoice that the evil one and his hoards of hate are broken. Their apparent victory is turned into their defeat. What was supposed to be God's greatest shame becomes his greatest grace, which ransoms us from Satan's grasp.

PRAYER:
No words, holy and righteous Father, can ever express my appreciation for your plan, your sacrifice, and your salvation. No song of praise, no heartfelt poem, no letter of love can ever express the thanks I have, dear Jesus, for your loving and powerful sacrifice. Thank you for saving me from sin, death, and a life without meaning. To you, dear Father, and to you, Lord Jesus, I offer my life as my gift of thanks and praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 9, 2012

Devotional:
Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept [them]. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Malachi 3:7 (KJV)

In times of horror and disaster, people routinely ask, "Where is God in all of this?" Yet we so often leave God at the periphery of our lives and look for him only when we are desperate and have no other options. When things are going well, we seldom say, "Where is God in all of this? Why, he's right here blessing us! Let's praise him for his goodness!" God pleads with us to turn to him and seek after him, in good times and in bad. Not only will we find him; he will return to us and walk with us.

PRAYER:
O God, please forgive us for seeking our own way. We confess that we have wandered from your ways. Even while the Bible is so readily available to us, we often squander the opportunity to hear you speak from the Word. Even when we have so many opportunities to praise you and pray to you, you sometimes only hear from us when we have gotten ourselves into insurmountable problems. Father, I confess that I have let my relationship with you slip and that I have not pursued your presence in my life as much as I could. Please be with me and all your Church as we seek you and your presence daily in our lives! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way. Proverbs 23:19 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 10, 2012

Devotional:
Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the LORD, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us? Isaiah 29:15 (KJV)

Aren't we so very silly sometimes! We try to hide what we've done and what we're planning from the Lord. Of course we're only fooling ourselves. At first glance, God's knowing our plans and seeing our actions is threatening. But after a little time to think it through, isn't it nice that God does see everything, including our motives and thoughts? This insures justice will be done and our mess-ups will be evaluated in terms of our intentions, not just our failures! On top of that, it also means that those who plot to do us harm will have to answer to God, and we don't have to worry about "settling the score" or "getting even."

PRAYER:
Forgive me, Father, when I've tried to hide my plans and thoughts from you. Create in me a new and clean heart so that I am unafraid of your knowing anything going on in my heart. By the power of your Spirit, stir my spirit to desire your character and long for your presence in my life. I want to live dedicated to your glory and serving your Kingdom. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 12, 2012

Devotional:
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8 (KJV)

Two simple truths: 1) The person who continues to live a life caught up in sin is of the devil. 2) The Son of God came to destroy all that the devil stands for. So, I guess the issue isn't as complex as we sometimes make it, which leads me to a final thought: Who are we going to side with in this heavenly war?

PRAYER:
Almighty and victorious King of the Ages, you are the only rightful ruler of my heart. I pledge my allegiance to you. Please help me as I seek to lay aside my struggles with sin and empower me to live for you in unwavering loyalty. In the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 13, 2012

Devotional:
Thy testimonies are very sure: holiness becometh thine house, O LORD, for ever. Psalm 93:5 (KJV)

So many of the material things we pursue are temporary. Their usefulness lasts only a matter of months or at most a few short years. Even our lives, and the lives of those we love, are short.
But God's character, his defining quality ("Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty!"), and his demands for our holiness are forever. So as we build our lives, let's build on a secure foundation -- the will of God and a commitment to share in his holiness.

PRAYER:
Holy God, I thank you for making me holy and forgiving my sin by your grace. Fill me with your Spirit and bring forth the Spirit's fruit in my life so that it reflects your grace and your character.
Give me a hunger to know your will and to seek your truth and an ability to understand and apply it to my life. I want to build my life with you as its center and its goal. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
O taste and see that the LORD [is] good: blessed [is] the man [that] trusteth in him. Psalm 34:8 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 14, 2012

Devotional:
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:17 (KJV)

So much of what we pursue is fleeting. Once we acquire it, we have to try to preserve it because we know it will soon be gone. God has promised us that just as he is eternal and will live forever, so also are those who pursue a relationship with him and are committed to do his will. So let's sit down and look at how we spend our time, our money, and our efforts and ask if what we are pursuing is really something that is worth having. Then let's ask one more important question: "Even if it is worth having, is it going to last long enough to make a difference?"

PRAYER:
Eternal Father, please give me the courage to be honest about what I am pursuing with my life. I want it to count for your cause. I want to make a difference for good. Some of that desire, I confess, is self-serving. However, dear Father, I truly do want to have a life that impacts others for good and that brings you honor. I don't want to waste my time chasing after things that won't last and don't matter. Please give me the spiritual wisdom to follow your will and find your life rather than chasing the shadow values of my culture. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day [is] the evil thereof. Matthew 6:34 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 15, 2012

Devotional:
Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by [your] good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation. 1 Peter 2:12 (KJV)

How do we win over to the Gospel of Christ those who are hostile toward us? While we need skilled defenders and expositors of biblical truth, the way most of us will win others is by the way we live and by the way we treat them. No matter how much criticism and harsh treatment we may receive, our deeds must remain Christ-like. To do less is to rob others of a chance to see the living Christ in action.

PRAYER:
Holy and righteous Father, please forgive me for not being more aware of my influence on others, especially those who do not know Christ. Please fill me with your Spirit and strengthen me so that I can stand up under the criticism and scrutiny that sometimes comes my way. Help my life to impact others so that they may see the truth of what I believe and the hope by which I live. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe. Proverbs 29:25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 16, 2012

Devotional:
Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength: [so] will we sing and praise thy power. Psalm 21:13 (KJV)

What is our role in the grand scheme of things? In Psalm 21, the Spirit emphasizes our importance as God's "cheerleaders." We ask God to reveal himself in glory. We urge God to make his strength known to all people. We marvel in amazement at his great deeds. We praise God for all the incredible things he has done for us.

PRAYER:
Dear Father in heaven, exalt yourself and your name above all things. I rededicate myself to daily praise and thanksgiving for all that you have done, all that you are doing, and all that you will do in the future. To you, the only true God, the Alpha and Omega, I offer my heartfelt praise and my songs of joy. In the name of the Lord Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand. Revelation 1:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 17, 2012

Devotional:
And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and [to] Iconium, and Antioch, Confirming the souls of the disciples, [and] exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. Acts 14:21-22 (KJV)

Do you know a new Christian? Paul and Barnabas remind us that it is difficult becoming a Christian; there are hard times for new Christians! So let's make sure we don't just share the Gospel with them. Let's also stand by them, check on them, strengthen them, and encourage them.

PRAYER:
Loving Father, please be with the new Christians in our church. Use me to be a source of encouragement to them and strength for them. May my life always be a positive influence on them and other new Christians as well. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 19, 2012

Devotional:
But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep [you] from evil. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 (KJV)

The Bible repeatedly reminds us that we are in a spiritual war with forces that are strong, malicious, and evil (Ephesians 6:10-12). We should steer clear of every appearance of evil. We shouldn't involve ourselves in anything related to Satan and his work. But we also need to remember that our Lord is greater than Satan and all of his evil angels. He is faithful. He will not abandon us to our enemy. He will strengthen us and protect us from attack if we will let him!

PRAYER:
Almighty God, thank you for giving me victory over Satan through the sacrifice of your Son, his resurrection from the dead, and his promised return to take me home to heaven. Please strengthen me and empower me to overcome temptation and resist the deceptive enticements of the Evil One. O Lord, it is only you that I want to worship, serve, and obey. To you belongs all glory forever, and ever, in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 20, 2012

Devotional:
I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:2-3 (KJV)

The order of obedience is always the same: God reveals himself, God blesses us, and then God asks us to respond. In other words, God blesses us first, and then asks us to obey. God is all powerful and supreme. He could demand our obedience just because of who he is, but he doesn't. He has chosen to reveal himself to us through Scripture, through nature, and through his acts of salvation. He wants us to know him and respond to him. Our obedience may be difficult. Our call to obey may sometimes be hard for us to understand. However, we know it comes from a Father who has paid an enormous price to redeem us and who has already proven himself faithful.

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty God, you are worthy of all glory and honor. I realize that your demands that I should be holy, that I should obey your Word, and that I should seek your will are all based on your desire to love me and bless me. I want to serve you with an undivided heart. I want my obedience to be offered as joyously and graciously to you as your blessings have been shared with me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies. Psalm 40:4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 21, 2012

Devotional:
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 (KJV)

God is faithful! Scripture declares it. We've experienced it. In fact, we cherish this promise from God, especially when things don't turn out as they "should." So when Satan does trip us with temptation and when we are weak or rebellious, isn't it comforting that we can be forgiven and made clean again? God wants us to call our sin what he calls it. (To "confess" literally means to "say the same" thing about it as God does!) Incredibly, God does more than forgive us. He also cleanses us. We're made new, fresh, pure, and holy once again! That is more than being faithful and just; that's being downright gracious.

PRAYER:
I do not have the words, Father, to express my appreciation for your gracious forgiveness and cleansing of me. I am deeply sorry for my weakness, my stumbling, and my rebellion. I deeply regret disappointing you. Thank you for welcoming me back into your presence and reminding me that I am your beloved child. Please empower me to grow past my failures and to mature more fully into the holiness of your Son, Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 22, 2012

Devotional:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Luke 11:10 (KJV)

God answers prayers! Recent research in the recovery of surgery patients for whom others prayed seems to validate this. Our experience suggests it is true. The Bible promises us that it is so. But Luke emphasizes one specific answer to prayer that God-seekers receive. God longs to give us a truly great and wonderful gift: his presence in us through his Holy Spirit (vs. 13). Because of the indwelling Spirit, God can do unimaginable things for us and through us.

PRAYER:
Loving Father, the sacrifice of your Son for my sins is a truly incredible gift. The blessing of salvation through Jesus is more wonderful than words. The gracious gift of your presence in me through your Holy Spirit is comforting and empowering. Thank you for your assurance that as I seek you, you are eager to bless me. In Jesus' name I thank and praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the eyes of the Lord [are] over the righteous, and his ears [are open] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [is] against them that do evil. 1 Peter 3:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 23, 2012

Devotional:
But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for [it is] he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as [it is] this day. Deuteronomy 8:18 (KJV)

As we enter the month often associated in the USA with giving thanks, this reminder from Moses is an important one! We so easily forget to give thanks when things are going well. It's easy for us to whine and ask God to help us when we are in trouble, but we often feel like we "deserve" the good things that happen to us. God reminds us that what we have is simply a confirmation of his grace and his faithfulness to do what he has said. We need to remind ourselves, and each other, that the blessings we have come from his hand and not because we deserved them more than someone else.

PRAYER:
Generous Father, forgive me for my forgetfulness. Deep down I know I don't deserve all the good things you have poured into my life, yet I sometimes find myself thinking that I've earned them.
Use your Spirit to forge in me a heart like Jesus' heart, who did deserve everything good and yet gave it all up to come to earth and give me the greatest gift imaginable -- the gift of your salvation!
Thank you so much for this gift of grace and the many other undeserved gifts that you have lavished on me. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
The highway of the upright [is] to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul. Proverbs 16:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 24, 2012

Devotional:
Paul also and Barnabas continued in Antioch, teaching and preaching the word of the Lord, with many others also. Acts 15:35 (KJV)

Antioch was a great church in the first century. This church was blessed with both Jewish and Gentile disciples of Jesus who were very talented. These disciples were the first followers of Jesus called Christians. Many of these new Christians taught and evangelized others in their community. These "many others" remind us that the power of the early Church was not limited to its well-known leaders, but also involved the widespread dedication of its members to minister and to use the gifts that God had given them to serve others.

PRAYER:
Almighty and powerful God, please raise up an army of committed people who will serve, pray, evangelize, and teach so that others may know the grace you have given us in your Son Jesus. Renew the power of everyday Christians in our day just as it was in the early Church! I ask this in the mighty name of Jesus, my Savior and Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: Colossians 3:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 26, 2012

Devotional:
Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. James 1:12 (KJV)

I don't know about you, but it is hard for me to appreciate our need to go through trials. In fact, trials in life are just plain hard to tolerate! This is especially true when we are in the middle of them. But as believers in Jesus, we have some key spiritual reasons to persevere under trials. One of the very best reasons to hang in there when things are tough spiritually is God's promise to give us the crown of life that can't be taken away from us.

PRAYER:
Gracious God, thank you for promising the victor's crown of life to me. Empower me to persevere through the power of your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[[To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.]] Blessed [is] he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. Psalm 41:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 27, 2012

Devotional:
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13 (KJV)

One way to view our lives is to see them as a wait. Long or short, we live in anticipation, waiting for our "blessed hope." This hope is rooted in Jesus' promise to return. But more than just his return, our hope is rooted in his glorious appearance as our Savior. On that day, our trust in Jesus as Lord will be validated and our highest dreams realized.

PRAYER:
Glorious and faithful God, thank you for sending Jesus the first time to save me from my sins. Please strengthen me as I wait for his glorious return, so that I can live as victoriously now as I will with you in the future. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 28, 2012

Devotional:
The memory of the just [is] blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot. Proverbs 10:7 (KJV)

Each of us is creating a legacy. The influence of our lives will leave an imprint on all those the Lord has brought into our lives for us to touch. This proverb reminds us that our legacy will live far beyond us. If our lives are righteous, that legacy will be an ongoing blessing as stories of our lives are passed on to future generations. On the other hand, if our lives have been given over to wickedness, we will leave behind the lingering stench of something potentially useful gone sour and something lasting given over to rot.

PRAYER:
O mighty God, may my life be a sweet blessing to my children and my children's children -- whether those children are physical or spiritual. May my influence bring you glory and also bring others to know you and your grace. Forgive me when I fail to see the length of the shadow my influence casts and help me to see those you have purposely sent my way for me to touch with your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For I [am] the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I [am] holy. Leviticus 11:45 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 29, 2012

Devotional:
God thundereth marvellously with his voice; great things doeth he, which we cannot comprehend. Job 37:5 (KJV)

How does God help us know his will? Clearly God has given us the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit to help us understand the Scriptures. What about more subtle and less defined ways? Most of us have had a "cluster of divine coincidences" (several events in close proximity to prayer): a friend calls/writes at just the right time; we read an article or hear a sermon that has a comment or two directed at just the area of our concern or confusion; several songs in worship convict us in the area on which we are seeking the Lord's guidance; or we simply feel a pull on our conscience that helps us discern right from wrong in a difficult situation. God really means it when he says that if we will pray for wisdom without doubting he'll give it to us and that if we are truly seeking him we will find him. His voice does thunder in marvelous ways!

PRAYER:
Holy God, please help me discern your will about several important matters in my life. I don't want to make my decisions based on my limited human wisdom. Please lead me by your Spirit in the direction you want me to go and use me to bring you glory and praise. Thank you for caring about my life enough to show me your way more clearly. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[As for] man, his days [are] as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. But the mercy of the LORD [is] from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children; To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them. Psalm 103:15-18 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 30, 2012

Devotional:
For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring: Isaiah 44:3 (KJV)

For people growing up in West Texas, they certainly know what "thirsty land" truly is. The black dirt shrinks, leaving deep cracks in the ground. All the grass turns yellow, then brown, and then dies. A wisp of breeze stirs swirls of dust over the barren land. When the downpour finally comes, the "thirsty land" swallows voluminous amounts of water as the rain runs off the wet surface and finds its way into the deep cracks left from the drought. The ground swells, the grass comes back to life, and life is replenished. In a barren spiritual wasteland, God's Holy Spirit pours out his blessing, brings times of refreshment, and replenishes our thirsty hearts.

PRAYER:
Generous and loving Father, thank you for so many blessings you have poured into my life. Most of all, dear Father, thank you for the blessing of your presence, your strength, your grace, and your refreshment given to me through your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
[As] cold waters to a thirsty soul, so [is] good news from a far country. Proverbs 25:25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 31, 2012

Devotional:
Now thanks [be] unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. 2 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV)

What do you smell like today? Is that question too personal? Not to God! Paul says we are warriors returning from conquest with the smell of victory incense permeating our presence. To those who see us and know us, this aroma points them to God and his victory over our wills and his victory for us over death. We are God's conquest and conquerors. Let's live surrendered to his will, displaying his grace and victory in our lives.

PRAYER:
Thank you, O LORD God Almighty, for your incredible victory over sin and death. Thank you also for conquering my rebellious heart and for blessing me with your incomparable grace. Despite the challenges, difficulties, and pains in life, dear LORD, please help me live my life as a victory march as I journey home to you. In Jesus' mighty and holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway. Deuteronomy 11:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 2, 2012

Devotional:
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. Romans 8:37 (KJV)

Are we really conquerors despite the "trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword" that Paul mentioned two verses earlier? Yes! That is the ultimate Christian assurance. Nothing can separate us from God's love in Christ. The Evil One and his allies can ruin our finances, seek to destroy our relationships, wrack our bodies with pain, and even kill our bodies. However, the Evil One cannot have our hearts when they are surrendered to Jesus. And when our hearts and lives belong to Jesus, so does God's promised future! The empty tomb of Jesus assures us that our future with him is glorious, victorious, and unending.

PRAYER:
Give me eyes to see, O God, and a heart to believe that Jesus' victory over death is my victory, too! I don't want to be derailed from my hope, faith, and love by the difficulties of life. Instead, I want to be a living testimony to your power, victory, and grace. In Jesus' name, and for his glory, I live and pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed [is] he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. Revelation 16:15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 3, 2012

Devotional:
I thank God, whom I serve from [my] forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day; 2 Timothy 1:3 (KJV)

Paul is near the end of his life, facing persecution in a horrible prison. Many of the young men whom he had mentored have left the faith or have turned against him. How can he give thanks?
Paul speaks of his confidence in his own victorious future with Jesus and in his son in the faith, Timothy. What makes this special is that he communicates it to Timothy. He's not content to just give thanks to God in prayer! He also tells Timothy in this letter how precious he is and how the old apostle prays for his son in the faith, Timothy. When was the last time you sent a note of thanks to the people you appreciate, letting them know they give you reason to rejoice before the throne of God?

PRAYER:
Matchless Father of all grace, thank you! Thank you for every spiritual blessing I have in Christ. Thank you today for the special people who are such a blessing to me in my walk of faith .. (take a minute and just say their names before the Father). Help me grow in my ability to show my appreciation and approval of these precious people, so that they can know what a blessing they are to me. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
April 4, 2012

Devotional:
We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth;
2 Thessalonians 1:3 (KJV)

When was the last time you found a new brother or sister in Christ and told that precious person all the things they were doing right? Don't you think that's too long, and that you should let them know today? Let's be more committed to encouraging and affirming others who are in Christ as well as giving thanks to God for them.

PRAYER:
Saving Shepherd of lost souls, thank you for the new Christians in our church and in my life. Bless them and protect them from the Evil One and use us, your children and their brothers and sisters, to be there to help and encourage them on their journey to perfection in Christ. In the holy name of Christ Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3 (KJV)