Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
January 26, 2012

Devotional:
Who will render to every man according to his deeds: Romans 2:6-7 (KJV)

God not only seeks after us, he desires relationship with us -- i.e., he longs for us to seek after him and after matters that are important to him. When we persistently seek his glory and honor by doing good, when we seek after eternal rather than temporal things, he is overjoyed to give us what he has always designed for us: eternal life with him. In other words, the seeking God is always looking for those seeking him!

PRAYER:
Abba Father, I thank you for loving me when I was lost and in sin. I thank you for not just loving me, but also seeking me by sending Jesus. Thank you for your justice that you met with your grace in your Son Jesus. I confess that I at times get distracted and upset with things that don't really matter very much. Please bless me as I seek to discipline my heart and focus my desires on eternal things. As I seek your glory and honor in the way I conduct my life, it is reassuring that your desire to bless me with eternal life is even greater still. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand. Revelation 1:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
January 27, 2012

Devotional:
Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I [am] the LORD. Leviticus 19:32 (KJV)

In an age where respect is little known and even less practiced, showing honor for those who are older is often overlooked. Yet in this place, by the LORD's own word, showing respect for the elderly ranks right up there with reverencing God. But then we shouldn't be surprised, since God made honoring parents the very first commandment (in the Ten Commandments -- Exodus 20) directed at our relationship with others -- the first four commandments were directed at our relationship with him!

PRAYER:
Holy and Eternal God, thank you for my parents in the flesh and in the faith. Please give those who have been my spiritual mentors a special blessing. Without their guidance, I'm not sure where I would have ended up. Help me as I grow older to not only mature, but to also gain the character that will be needed by those whom you have placed before me to influence. May we, young and old alike, restore dignity and respect to our relationships before you in our generation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Ephesians 4:2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
January 28, 2012

Devotional:
I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. John 5:30 (KJV)

"So who you tryin' to please, anyway?" These words of my dad still ring in my ears. His point? There are only two we MUST please: (1) our Father in heaven, because all praise and honor is due to him, and (2) ourselves, because we want to know that we've done the best we could do and been the best we could be. But I guess I've learned over the years that I can't begin to do the second of those very well without seeking the first one. Don't you hope that someday you reach the place where you can join Jesus in saying with absolute assurance: "I seek not to please myself but him who sent me!" The closer we approach that reality, the more we realize that we can't do anything of eternal significance on our own. Only when we live to honor God do we find the significance and have the impact that our lives were made to have.

PRAYER:
Almighty and Righteous Father, I know that without you I can do nothing that is of lasting significance. I have tried my own way and failed. I have sought my own good and seen my success short-lived. I want to live now, today and the rest of my life to please you. As I do this, I am confident that you will provide what I need and that you will empower me to do what you would have me do. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and [your] nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation. James 5:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
January 30, 2012

Devotional:
Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually. 1 Chronicles 16:11 (KJV)

After restoring the presence of God to his people through the Ark of the Covenant, David and Asaph gave them these verses as a song to perpetually remind them of the importance of seeking God because ... our strength is found in him ... our grace is from his loving presence ... and our hope is in seeing him face to face and knowing him even as we are known by him. We must look to the Lord and not seek our own way or follow our own path.

PRAYER:
O Lord, I know you created me uniquely as you fashioned me in my mother's womb. Yet I know I can never have the freedom or creativity in my life that you long for me to discover, unless I first seek you and your strength. Please bless me with the assurance of your nearness as I seek you with all of my heart and use my abilities in creative ways to bring you glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[Let your] conversation [be] without covetousness; [and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. Hebrews 13:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
January 31, 2012

Devotional:
For thus saith the LORD unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live: But seek not Bethel, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beersheba: for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Bethel shall come to nought. Amos 5:4-5 (KJV)

Do you "go to church"? I hope not! Now don't get me wrong; I'm not advocating you skip worship and fellowship this Sunday! We're told not to forsake gathering together as believers (Hebrews 10:25). But when we assemble as a body of believers, we're gathering together for encouragement and meeting with God. We're not GOING to church; we ARE the church! (The New Testament never used the word church to refer to a building!) God warned his people in Old Testament times that simply going to the places of worship was worthless. Instead, they needed to seek him! I believe that is exactly what God would have us do. And as we seek him together, we get to share fellowship, comfort, and encouragement with each other.

PRAYER:
Holy and loving Father, as I face the struggles of this week, it is comforting to know that I am never away from your love. At the same time, I love those special moments when I meet with other Christians and your presence is powerful and real. I know you are always with us when we gather together, but sometimes my heart or my circumstance or the situations going on in our church family derail my awareness of your presence. This week, dear Father, I pray for our worship assembly to be vibrant and powerful. I pray for your presence to be palpably near. I pray that you will be honored by what my brothers and sisters and I do to encourage each other and praise you. Please use this day to draw us near to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue [is] but for a moment. Proverbs 12:19 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 1, 2012

Devotional:
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29 (KJV)

The goal in Christian communication is not just clarity. Neither is the goal just to be understood. The goal is not even just to be truthful. The goal is to be appropriate, encouraging, and uplifting to others based on the needs of that other person.

PRAYER:
Tender Shepherd, give me a heart that is pure so that my words may be pure. Give me a heart that is kind so that my words may be kind. Give me a heart that is full of joy and encouragement so that I may share these with those you bring to my path and with whom I share conversation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 2, 2012

Devotional:
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: Acts 17:27 (KJV)

Our seeking God longs to be sought! God placed his fingerprints all over the universe and then gave us places to find life and meaning. He had a purpose in this plan: he wanted us to seek the One behind it all. He is never far away from us, but he longs to be sought and found. When we seek after God, we are not only blessing him, we're also living out our life's key task.

PRAYER:
Heavenly Father, I long to know you more completely -- as the old hymn says to Jesus: "Beyond the sacred page, I seek thee Lord. My spirit pants for thee O living Word." Loving Father, I ask that your presence would be recognizable in my daily life. I truly want to get to know you, even as I am known by you. In the name of the Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: To the one [we are] the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who [is] sufficient for these things? 2 Corinthians 2:15-16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 3, 2012

Devotional:
Turn thou us unto thee, O LORD, and we shall be turned; renew our days as of old. Lamentations 5:21 (KJV)

When these words were first spoken, they focused on God's restoration of Israel back to its place, its prominence, its life, and its Temple. Yet from our vantage point, this prayer can be ours as well. Restoration can mean Christ's return which brings us home to God. On that day, every barrier standing between God and us will fall. Our mortality will be swallowed up in victory. We will see God face to face and get to walk with him in the cool of the day as his perfect children. May that day come soon!

PRAYER:
Holy and awesome God, I know a huge gulf stands between your perfection and my limitations. Yet, dear Father, I believe you have spanned that gulf with your grace. While I wait for that perfection to dawn in all its fullness, please empower me for my battles with the Evil One and deliver me from all spiritual harm and attack. Until the day I see you face to face, please accept my all-too-limited and human praise for all you have done to save me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 4, 2012

Devotional:
Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name: and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake. -- Psalm 79:9 (KJV)

We don't deserve the grace we need! We have no right to presume God's forgiveness! We have no reason to expect divine deliverance! But in Jesus, God has shown us his incredible love and generosity. We can confidently call out for his mercy and receive his grace, forgiveness, and deliverance -- not because we deserve it, but because of who he is and for the sake of his glorious name.

PRAYER:
Holy and awesome God, I need your grace and forgiveness. I need your deliverance from the tempter's snare. Without your power and mercy, I will surely fail. May the grace you extend to me bring you praise. May the forgiveness you lavish on me bring others to honor you. May your deliverance of me from the tempter's snare bring glory to your name. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matthew 7:7-8 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 6, 2012

Devotional:
Where no wood is, [there] the fire goeth out: so where [there is] no talebearer, the strife ceaseth. Proverbs 26:20 (KJV)

Ol' Smokey The Bear said: "Only you can prevent forest fires!" Basically, that's what the Wiseman says about gossip. We can turn down the heat, douse the fire, and let the quarrel die. How? By not supplying juicy morsels of gossip, by ditching the urge to spread destructive innuendo, and by refusing to keep alive an ugly rumor. Without gossip, the bitterness of a rivalry can dissolve and relationships can mend.

PRAYER:
Forgive me, O God, for the times I have kept gossip alive or have entertained the conversation of a gossip. Please bless and heal those whom I have wounded with my participation in gossip.
Give me the strength to say only what is helpful to bless others, the courage to mend the relationships that I have damaged because of reckless words, and the wisdom to know how to discourage those seeking to spread gossip. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
[There is] no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD. Proverbs 21:30 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 7, 2012

Devotional:
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:21 (KJV)

Where did Scripture come from? What is the basis of our faith in the Bible and the Gospel? Peter wants us to realize that the prophets of ancient times didn't bake up their own private recipes for their prophecies. Instead, they could only move and respond to what God was doing in them, not what they themselves wanted to do or say. They were human, but their message was God's word because the Holy Spirit moved them to speak and guided their words. This makes what we have in Scripture from the prophets more than precious: we are given the very words of God! (cf. 2 Timothy 3:16-17)

PRAYER:
Almighty God, thank you for inspiring ordinary people to give us your extraordinary message in common, everyday language. Thank you for delivering that essential message to us in the Bible and preserving it through times of persecution, hardship, and opposition. Please use those same Scriptures to ignite a whole new revival in my heart and throughout our land. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; Philippians 1:27 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 8, 2012

Devotional:
Thou, [even] thou, [art] LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all [things] that [are] therein, the seas, and all that [is] therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee. Nehemiah 9:6 (KJV)

Our praise is pretty irrelevant to everyone and everything but us, those closest to us, and amazingly to God. In a universe so vast, so much bigger than Nehemiah could have imagined, what is our small voice and our song of praise? The billions of stars and innumerable creatures of the immense seas all cry out that our Creator is LORD. God will receive the worship of the angels and all the heavenly beings. What difference does it make if we praise him? To the universe, to be blunt, it doesn't matter. But it does to us! It matters even more to the LORD, who longs to be our Father and wants to bring us into relationship with himself.

PRAYER:
Holy and amazing God, you alone are Lord -- Lord of all creation and Lord of my life. You are praised by all you have made. Your works cry out and declare your creative genius and your loving kindness. Father, I want to add my heartfelt praise to the chorus of creation, the voices of the angels, and the praise of many who have come before me. You are truly worthy to be praised. I gladly offer you my words, my songs, my heart, and my life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 9, 2012

Devotional:
And the inhabitants of one [city] shall go to another, saying, Let us go speedily to pray before the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts: I will go also. Zechariah 8:21 (KJV)

This Messianic message from Zechariah anticipates the day of the LORD's redemption. Many different peoples, from all over the world, will come looking for the great mercy of God. God's people will have one key phrase on their hearts: "Let's go seek the presence of God. I'm going; why don't you join me?" As believers, we know Jesus has come, has died, and has been raised from the dead. We know Jesus is returning with salvation for all who truly know and follow him. Let's ask others to join us in going to the great celebration of grace and salvation at his return!

PRAYER:
Loving Father, I seek your presence daily in my life. Without your guidance, love, holiness, and truth, I would be lost and confused. Knowing that my destiny is with you, I look forward to seeing you face to face as your child. Please lead me to those who do not know you, but who are seeking you. Give me eyes to see them, ears to hear their cry, and wisdom to know how to share your grace. Use me to prepare them to meet you at the great Day of Redemption that is coming with your Son. In the name of Christ Jesus my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. James 1:22 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 10, 2012

Devotional:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 1 Peter 3:18 (KJV)

It sounds so simple and straightforward, doesn't it? Kinda like the newspaper headline about someone dying we don't know. Just cold, hard facts! But we know differently. Underneath this statement of grace lies the broken heart of God, the sacrifice of heaven, the brutality of supposedly religious men, and the searching love of our God who would not abandon us to the cruel "Deathmaster." For those who knew animal sacrifice, with its high personal cost and animal sacrifices, this verse is more than a headline: it is a "graceline." Once for all -- no more sacrifices needed. Bring you to God -- no more distance, no intermediaries between God and us. Jesus is heaven's open door and God's open heart saying, "Come home; we've been waiting for you."

PRAYER:
What words, O gracious Father, can I use to express my appreciation for your sacrifice and grace? I have none sufficient to say what I feel. But even in this realization, I know the gift of your Spirit ensures that you hear my words and my heart. Every good and lasting thing I have comes from your grace. Please receive my undying love and my heartfelt praise for all you are, for all you have done, and for all that you will be. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond [nor] free: but Christ [is] all, and in all. Colossians 3:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 11, 2012

Devotional:
Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD. 1 Chronicles 16:10 (KJV)

What is your glory? Do you glory in your accomplishments, your wealth, your status, your looks, your piety, your humility ...? In the old hymn "Beneath the Cross of Jesus," we confess, "My glory, all the Cross." That's what Christians mean when we "glory in God's holy name." Our full understanding of God's holy name has been greatly expanded by Jesus. He taught us to not only reverence the name of God, but also to call him Father. Any other cause of joy, any other basis for boasting, is a passing illusion. For those whose hearts seek the LORD, glory is found in reverencing the holy name of the Father who gave up his precious Son so we could be his children. He loves us that much. Incredible!

PRAYER:
You have blessed me in so many ways, Father. How can I ever begin to thank you properly? I confess that I sometimes seek notoriety and glory for myself even though I know it is fleeting and often it is only the false flattery of those who want something from me. But deep in my heart, dear God, I know that my true glory is found in the adoption covenant you signed with your grace. Thank you! Words cannot capture my appreciation, but please know that I look forward to being eternally grateful for all that you have done. May the glory be yours in heaven and throughout the earth, both now and forevermore. In the name of Jesus I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
As a dog returneth to his vomit, [so] a fool returneth to his folly. Proverbs 26:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 13, 2012

Devotional:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see [him] not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, [even] the salvation of [your] souls. 1 Peter 1:8-9 (KJV)

Can you trust what you don't see? Of course! What kind of question is that? Our lives depend on what we cannot see -- things like gravity and the air we breathe, just to name two. Faith in Jesus is as natural as faith in each of those things. The problem is that our hearts are skeptical. We find it hard to believe that anyone divine would love us so much. Our experience says, "If it seems too good to be true, it is." That skepticism is just the twisted form of the response God longs to see from us: "inexpressible and glorious joy." I don't know about you, but I've tasted both. I prefer joy over skepticism!

PRAYER:
What joy fills my heart, Father, when I anticipate what it will be like to be in your presence -- to have you wipe each tear from my eyes and to have you introduce me again to those I love and to those I've only known by reputation. Please never let me outlive that sense of anticipation and never let that hope dim in my heart, no matter what else may happen in my life here. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. Revelation 22:14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 14, 2012

Devotional:
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son: Colossians 1:13 (KJV)

I have a large distribution list that I send this Devotional out to, which I’m sure consist of many different nationalities who will read Today's Verse. While our national origins and ethnic heritages are different, we are members of one Kingdom. Our allegiance transcends race, culture, language, and nation. Why? Because we've been rescued from the dominion that holds sway over race, culture, language, and nation. That dominion divides us and makes us suspicious of each other, leading to hatred and warfare. We've been given a more glorious Kingdom! We've been made into a more glorious and colorful race! We are God's children and part of the Kingdom of the Son he loves.

PRAYER:
Use us, O Father, to break down the barriers that separate peoples on the basis of temporary externals. Make us into a Kingdom of character, hope, and love. Cast all darkness out of our hearts.
Shine the light of your grace through us to our world so people can see us a healing for the nations. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, the only true Savior of all peoples, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. James 1:13-14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 15, 2012

Devotional:
But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. Psalm 5:11 (KJV)

The last several years have not been easy for believers. Persecution around the world is at an all time high. In the United States, mass murderers specifically targeted those who believed in God. Though executed for their faith, their witness to the LORD has been as inspiring. We have many choices when faced with such reality. Shock probably should not be among them. This is an old horror, going back to the earliest days of the Christian community. It actually originated long before the days of Jesus, when our Jewish heroes were persecuted for two simple reasons: they believed in the One true God and they were Jewish. I believe it's time that we start praying this ancient prayer from today's Scripture in Psalm 5 again. When we pray it, let's remember that no matter what others may do to us, they cannot separate us from God and the deliverance he holds for us in his future.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, please bless our world with a season of peace. Bless us with a respite from the horrors Satan has afflicted on your children through the hatred of men. Give us the courage, in peace or in persecution, to be open about our faith, generous with our forgiveness, and steadfast in our hope. Finally, Father, please bless those whose loved ones were martyred because of their faith in you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let us hold fast the profession of [our] faith without wavering; (for he [is] faithful that promised;) Hebrews 10:23 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 16, 2012

Devotional:
And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; 1 Timothy 1:12 (KJV)

We minister by grace. We are saved and made holy by God's grace given us in Jesus. We are declared holy and blameless before God because of the grace of Jesus. We are given a gift to use in ministry for the Church because of the grace of Jesus. We are given strength from the Holy Spirit to persevere during difficult times because of the grace of God in Jesus. So what ministry we find ourselves capable of performing, what opportunities we have to serve and make a difference in people's lives, and what power we have in fulfilling our ministry are all given to us. It is not something to boast about. The Lord's power is made perfect in weakness as we offer ourselves to him to be used for his glory.

PRAYER:
Glorify your name, O God my Eternal Father. Thank you for Jesus who has redeemed me, gifted me, strengthened me, led me, and empowered me to serve. May you be glorified in all that I say and do. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the nation whose God [is] the LORD; [and] the people [whom] he hath chosen for his own inheritance. Psalm 33:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 17, 2012

Devotional:
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:11 (KJV)

Following a list of vices, both scandalous and common, Paul finishes with this incredible word of grace. We all have a tendency to live in the land of "I-used-to-be." For some of us, our past accomplishments become our excuse to live in the arrogant afterglow of yesterday. Paul wrote Philippians 3:4b-9 for this group. For others of us, the wounds and sins of our past become the bag of rocks we drag with us through the rest of life. We take those "rancid rocks" out and inspect them once again to our misery. We use them as proof of why we can't move on with our lives. What a glorious awakening Paul gives us in this passage. In Christ, there are no more bags and no more rocks. We're clean! We're made holy! We're declared innocent of any wrongdoing. How? Why? Who? The sacrifice and triumph of Jesus and the powerful work of the Holy Spirit.

PRAYER:
Forgive me, Father, for lingering on yesterdays, ruining my todays, and clouding up my tomorrows. Help me with my tendency to live in the land of "I-used-to-be." Give me the courage to believe that you have put my past in its proper place and want to do a new glorious thing in me today, a glorious and gracious thing that brings you honor and me salvation! In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. Psalm 1:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 18, 2012

Devotional:
But if ye will not obey the voice of the LORD, but rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall the hand of the LORD be against you, as [it was] against your fathers. 1 Samuel 12:15 (KJV)

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said more than 50 years ago that grace had become cheapened. I wonder what he would say today? I'm all for grace, but I'm horrified at the cost by which it came. I can't for the life of me understand how we can so often claim to have received it and yet bear no resemblance in character to the one who gave it. God's Word through Samuel is a harsh one. Yet it is one that I believe we must include in our triumphant song of grace. You see, true grace changes us. It will make us gracious and more like the Grace-giver himself. If not, what we call grace is impotent, powerless, and false. Paul called this a form of religion that denied God's true power in us (2 Timothy 3:5). Let's return obedience back to the pantheon of virtues and rescue it from the attic of our religious past.

PRAYER:
Father, I know that you are disappointed with my sin and yet your grace still flows and covers it. But Father, I NEVER want to presume on that grace. You and I know the deepest struggles of my character and the things I only want to "kinda" give up. Please work your perfection in me through the Holy Spirit, conforming me to be more and more like my Savior Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 20, 2012

Devotional:
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:1-2 (KJV)

Peace is more than the mercurial, vaporous, whimsical wish of folks who just want everyone to get along and things to be calm. The peace the apostle Paul is describing here, peace with God, goes much deeper than simply a desire for calm and for a lack of conflict. Jesus, through his sacrificial obedience to God, has made peace with God real for us. Yes, God provided it by grace. Yes, God is the one who insures it because of that grace. But, because this peace is tied to him and his character, we can rejoice and anticipate being caught up in the glory of our glorious God.

PRAYER:
O great Majesty on high, I praise you for the gift of your grace in Jesus. Give me confidence and trust so that I may stand, secure and emboldened to live for you, with a life full of hope and joy.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. 1 John 2:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 21, 2012

Devotional:
Who [is] like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who [is] like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful [in] praises, doing wonders? -- Exodus 15:11 (KJV)

With whom do you compare the incomparable? How do you grasp the infinite with a finite mind? When the quintessence of majesty is the God you contemplate, how can you ever speak of majesty about anything else? God exhausts our superlatives. God's glory bewilders our imaginations. God's greatness exceeds our wildest dreams. He is beyond what we can know or believe. Yet the Wonder of all his wonders is simply this: he limited himself to a baby, swaddled by loving parents in strips of cloth, and placed in a feed trough because there was no room for them in the inn. Sometimes the greatest of all wonders are not the ones that require our biggest and best words. Sometimes the greatest of all wonders wrap their tiny fingers around our own and capture our hearts.

PRAYER:
I do not know how to understand your incredible love for us, yes even for me. How could you enter our world in baby Jesus? Like the Magi, I bow and worship you, Lord Jesus, and our Father who sent you. Who is like you, O God? Nobody is even close. Yet for some reason known only to your grace, you have brought us close. I praise you for your majesty and I praise you for your manger. To your glory, precious Jesus, and in your name, I offer this praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
Lying lips [are] abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly [are] his delight. Proverbs 12:22 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 22, 2012

Devotional:
Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people [which] thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided [them] in thy strength unto thy holy habitation. Exodus 15:13 (KJV)

As a minister, I am privileged to be present at many of the most important events in people's lives. Good or bad, to be there at the crossroads of life is a sacred trust. In those moments that are hardest, dying and death, verses like this one fill my heart with strength and remind me why I answered a call to serve in waters way above my head. God's promise here is a great reminder that what he began when he redeemed his people out of Egypt, he would also complete by bringing them into the Promised Land. Now, we can hear a more powerful promise behind these words. We can find it even more reasonable to trust them. God did what he said for Israel. Since he did for them, can't we say with confidence, "I know you will guide us to your holy dwelling?"

PRAYER:
Tender Shepherd, you have led me through some very difficult times and brought me safely through. Now as I seek to live for you, please make your presence known. I truly believe that you are guiding me to your holy dwelling, but sometimes, I must confess, the way becomes difficult and faith becomes hard. Renew my courage, O Lord, just as you did with reluctant Moses and untested Joshua. Then, dear Lord, please use me to help others find your promise and their way home to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: 1 Peter 2:13-15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 23, 2012

Devotional:
He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth [shall be thy] shield and buckler. Psalm 91:4 (KJV)

Life is filled with many uncertainties. You never know when something unexpected is going to happen. You have no idea when the next disaster will strike. In a world filled with hate and terrorism, none of us has a clue when the next horrible atrocity will take place. So what do we do when we can't be sure of our circumstances? We take shelter under the wing of the One who is above all circumstances! We take assurance in our Father who has promised to bring us to himself no matter what may happen today ... in our world ... and to our bodies. Our lives are hidden with our Father because we've been joined to Christ. He is our Refuge! His wings are our shelter!

PRAYER:
Father, what words can I offer that are sufficient to thank and praise you for your deliverance that is greater than death? You are the Alpha and the Omega. You are the God who was and is and is to come. You are my Abba Father, who has adopted me and made me your own. I place my trust, my hope, and future in you and I will not be afraid. I find my refuge under your wings! All praise to you in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
[It is] better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 24, 2012

Devotional:
For our God [is] a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29 (KJV)

We should worship God with reverence because he is a consuming fire! Mmm. What does that mean? Is the focus on his holiness? Does this warn of judgment? Is this an expression of his purity? Yes, YES, YES! You see, God is holy and pure and righteous. Our imperfections, flaws, failures, and sins stand out glaringly in comparison to his perfection. Yet, rather than destroying us with his holy fire, he can make us new and clean and more than what we once were. So not only can we draw near to him because of Jesus, we can stay near him as we live Jesus' life in our world (see Hebrews 13). That, dear friend, is reverential worship at its finest!

PRAYER:
Righteous and holy God, please forgive me for my sin, my lack of boldness, and my unexercised faith. Thank you for not compromising your holiness, but, instead, sacrificing your Son to perfect and purify me by your grace so I can come before you. As I live this week, may your holiness be exalted by my conduct and reflected in my character. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Colossians 3:16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 25, 2012

Devotional:
O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth. Psalm 96:9 (KJV)

Don't you really appreciate the phrase "the splendor of his holiness" and long to behold that splendor? It conjures up reminders of Isaiah's encounter with God in Isaiah 6 or John's vision of Jesus in Revelation 1. God's essence -- known in the Old Testament as his glory and his holiness -- can be described only as splendorous! Our only fitting response is to join the angels of Isaiah 6 and the twenty-four elders around the throne in Revelation and worship God and cry, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty. The whole earth is full of his glory."

PRAYER:
You are holy, majestic God, more than my mind can grasp or my imagination can dream. I worship and praise you for your glory, might, grace, and mercy. I hunger for the day when I can see your splendor face to face and join the angels of heaven and the twenty-four elders in never ending worship and praise. Through Jesus I offer this praise and my life. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit [there is] no guile. Psalm 32:2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 27, 2012

Devotional:
Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I [am] the LORD. -- Ezekiel 38:23 (KJV)

In a time when God's people were in shambles physically and spiritually, he promises judgment -- judgment on them and their oppressors. But he also reveals why. He will show His greatness and holiness so they will know Him, YAHWEH -- God of "his people" and also of all nations. I would love for God to show his greatness and holiness in our day, wouldn't you? To have God honored for who he is and what he has done would be marvelous. May that day come quickly!

PRAYER:
Father, as your flawed and mortal child, I do fear your bold revelation of yourself. We humans are mortal and frail in comparison to your blazing glory. But I have confidence in my relationship with you through Jesus, and dear Father, I want you honored and your name revered in my day. I am tired of hearing your name used in vain and your glory profaned. Exalt yourself before the nations! Reveal your holy majesty so that everyone will know that you are the only true and living God! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. Matthew 5:37 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 28, 2012

Devotional:
Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil [man]: seek out his wickedness [till] thou find none. Psalm 10:15 (KJV)

It is hard not to get discouraged when evil and wicked people get away with what is reprehensible. Christians on every continent have things that greatly trouble them about the evil perpetrated in their corner of the world as corrupt power abuses those who belong to God's people. Let's join together, believers from all around the world, and ask God to intervene in a clear, decisive way, and bring these days of violence and wickedness to an end!

PRAYER:
Holy and righteous Father, please break the power of wickedness that reigns in our world and bring it to an end. Make it clear that the fall of evil's power is at the hand of the Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus, destroy every power that stands between God and us, and bring to a glorious beginning the eternal reign of your Kingdom. To your glory, Lord Jesus, and in your name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
February 29, 2012

Devotional:
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:11 (KJV)

In baptism, we are united with Christ in his death (see Romans 6:1-14 for the background of this devotional meditation). Our old sinful selves are crucified with Christ. We are no longer slaves to sin. We are alive in Christ -- the one whom sin could not master and death could not conquer. His life is now our life. His victory is our victory. His future is our future. Let's set our hearts to live based upon this certainty!

PRAYER:
Gracious Father, I find it incredible that you put all my past sin in the grave of your crucified Son and have raised me up to new life in him. Inspire me to find meaning, joy, and victory in Jesus.
Strengthen me with your Spirit and conform me more perfectly to my Lord. Please empower me to live fully trusting that all of my sin is dead, buried and gone. Please give me the confidence that my new life is bound up with Jesus and his future. Jesus, I thank you for this hope and offer this praise in your name. Amen.

Wisdom:
I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, Ephesians 4:1 (KJV)