Cutting your hair by the phases of the moon!

Teja

Sorry I know this is long but it sounds interesting :yep:

Women will go to great lengths to have beautifully healthy hair. One very powerful system to achieve just that is the Moon Maintenance Plan. Guaranteed to be a great addition to your beauty arsenal. With this simple technique, you coordinate your hair-care activity with the most auspicious moon phase and moon sign to achieve the hair goals that have eluded you in the past. The Moon Maintenance Plan for your hair is based on principles and secrets passed down by lunar planters and astrologers. In this cosmic plan, you’ll learn when to cut hair for faster growth; when to condition hair to avoid dryness; and when to chemically process hair for the best results. Both the moon phase and moon sign have an effect on the success of our hair activities. Let’s begin by taking a look at the moon phases.

Moon Phase:
It’s no secret the moon pulls the tides but what is lesser known is the moon’s subtle effect on the growth of all living things…plants and animals. Lunar gardening and lunar agriculture, in particular, are such time-honored and proven practices that, since the 1st century A.D., gardeners and farmers, sensitive to the effects of the moon, planted their crops during favorable times to achieve maximum growth and yield. Their thinking was, if the moon could have such a magnificent effect on the ocean, then plants, composed of a good deal of water, must at least be affected to some degree.
For humans, water accounts for 60-80% of our body weight. If there is credence to the notion that the moon effects all bodies of water then it will certainly have her say in the cycles of our lives, not to mention our hair. While it’s true the hair shaft is material and almost entirely protein, the moon does have an effect on hair since the hair follicles are made of epithelial tissue that is comprised mainly of Hydrogen and Oxygen, the two elements that combine to form water.
One suitable explanation for the subtle effect is that during the phase when the moon increases in light (the waxing moon) fluids are drawn upwards as in
growth. When the moon decreases in light (the waning moon) fluids flow to the roots. If you planted during a new moon, the growth energy available would increase the success and hardiness of a seedling. If, however, you planted after the full moon, energy for new seeds would decline. Enough about farming, what about the moon phases’ effect on hair?
When we barely see the moon in the sky, it is in the new moon phase. From here it increases in size or waxes until it reaches the crest or peak of the cycle—the full moon. If you wish to speed up the process of growing your hair, then get it cut during the new moon to full moon phase. The full moon begins to decrease in size or wanes until it ends up as a new moon or new phase once again. If you want to slow your hair’s growth, cut it from the full moon to the new moon phase. Each phase is approximately 14 days in length giving you plenty of time to cut. For some reason, the signs that benefit the most from the changes in the moon seem to be Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn, and Pisces. Additionally, there are rules for other signs that can be found through a simple Internet search. Regardless, the insight into the moon phases that the role they play in hair growth are interesting and worth a try.

lilvudufly

This is so interesting to me because my grandmother used to talk about cutting hair and the new moon and stuff. I never really paid it any attention and I doubt she was into astrology. I figured it was a down south remedy that grandmothers know about. Your breakdown was impressive I am going to research this.Thanks

Caramela

I haven't heard much talk about this since the "multi-cultural" board on Long Hair Lover's! Talk about a blast from the past. I remember when people also talked about washing their hair with rain water for growth. (guilty :look: I tried it)

Cichelle

I paid close attention to the moon phase when I did my big chop and I will pay attention to it if I ever start trimming my hair.

Dommo

This is so interesting....i have heard of this before and just swept it under the rug, but since my hair goals have changed and i am interested in growing it out long now, I may try this...Thanx for the info...

The Girl

Did some light searching here for ya:
Per Puddles:
Trim For Growth
October 28th -Scorpio
February 24th '09 -Pisces
June 22nd '09 -Cancer
October 18th '09 -Pisces

Trim For Thickness
December 12th -Cancer
April 10th '09 -Scorpio
June 8th '09 -Capricorn
November 1st '09- Taurus

This info I found here:
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip001.htm

Rules For Using Moon Phases For Hair Care

Listed below are my personal Moon rules for hair.
To Grow Your Hair Faster

Trim ends during the New Moon or during the First Phase of the Moon when the light of the moon is increasing.

The best astrological signs for faster, longer and healthier hair is the New Moon in Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces.

When possible start a hair growth program with the New Moon in one of the most beneficial signs. Start by trimming a tiny bit of hair from your ends during the New Moon or First Phase of the Waxing (increasing) Moon.

These dates are also helpful if you are starting a specific hair growth program and want faster results. This would include starting a hair vitamin program (HairTopia Hair Vitamin Facts) or a new hair healthy diet, exercise, scalp or other hair care program designed to get your hair stronger and longer as quickly as possible.

Trim or cut your hair during the New Moon Phase
To Grow Your Hair Thicker & Fuller

Trim ends during the Full Moon especially when the Full Moon is in Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces. The Full Moon in Leo is especially beneficial since Leo is the sign of the Lion which is born with a full lush mane.
Trim or cut your hair during the Full Moon Phase
To Grow Your Hair Slower

Trim ends after the Full Moon when the light is decreasing. This is true during the 3rd and 4th quarters of the Waning Moon. This is especially true when the Moon is in Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius or Aquarius, which also slows growth.
To Grow Hair Bushier

Trim or cut your hair with the Moon in Leo
To Treat Your Hair Chemically (Color or Perm)

Have chemical applications (straightening, relaxing, color, perm) applied during the Moon in Aquarius for the absolute best results.

There are other Moon phases that you can use for hair care. However, at this point I only want to cover the very simple process of cutting the hair for faster, thicker or bushier growth. I have thrown in the chemical processing as a general reference point.
*Greenwich Mean Times

The times provided in this article for the Moon Phases are listed in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

To adjust for your local time refer to a Greenwich Time Table.

As an example during non-Daylight Savings Time in the USA, New York time is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) minus 5 hours. During Daylight Savings, it is GMT -4. For Dallas, during non-daylight savings hours it is GMT-5 and GMT-4 for daylight savings times.

To find your exact local time, adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Yep I'm still doing this. I plan on trimming soon and I plan on doing that on the 24th of February.
I feel......if you're going to trim or cut.......why not do it by the phase of the moon? What can it hurt? :grin:

naturalgurl

WOW! Thanks I heard of this and I trim my hair on the new moon when I trim. I do tend to see growth but figured it was psychological. I just started practicing that again 4 months ago and seemed to have gotten a growth spurt PLUS I'm a pisces! Waiting for Feb 24th to see what happens. People may call is superstitious or crazy but what can it hurt? I'll trim anyway, might as well follow my grandmother's way. LOL!

Puddles

On Cloud 9
WOW! Thanks I heard of this and I trim my hair on the new moon when I trim. I do tend to see growth but figured it was psychological. I just started practicing that again 4 months ago and seemed to have gotten a growth spurt PLUS I'm a pisces! Waiting for Feb 24th to see what happens. People may call is superstitious or crazy but what can it hurt? I'll trim anyway, might as well follow my grandmother's way. LOL!

I "Totally" agree. :yep:

naturallygoldie

i don't think it's superstitious...the moon influences the tides, our cycles and a lot of other things...why not growth :blush: heaven's to betsy! Maybe there should be a cut/trim you hair by the phases of the moon challange

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
If there was I would join it. I did this last year alternating thickness and growth. Like others have said I am not sure of it, but hell I was due for the trims ayways.

JustKiya

Lucia did this, too.

Nice to see dates for 2009 - I might jump on that Feb trim - I think once every two years is a good schedule. :lachen:

JustKiya

Dang girl.....you're good. :lol:
I trim every 4-5 months. 3x's a year.

:lachen: I was hoping to pull off a 'I'll nevah trim my hair again!' sort of thing, but - Meh. Some stuff I was doing earlier this year is starting to show on my ends, and I think a wee trim (no more than 1/2 inch) might be useful.

FindingMe

VinDieselsWifey

my grandma use to always say you should trim your hair on the new moon to make it grow. i use to do this off and on for years. i will start back. can't hurt anything.

Last edited:

SoforReal

LOL! This is so funny! I was just about to post this on the 2009 Trransitioner's Thread, but was waiting for him to update to the 2009 calendars. I was using Anthony Morocco's as a guide to consider for my BC (maybe late fall or early winter of this year). He's easy to understand and lays it all out there for you:

http://morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml

But have also looked at:

http://www.longhairlovers.com/moon_maintenance.html
http://lunarium.co.uk/calendar.php

It's seems like Anthony's dates doesn't match up with the dates given earlier in the forum. Ex. Feb 24th

Eisani

LOL! This is so funny! I was just about to post this on the 2009 Trransitioner's Thread, but was waiting for him to update to the 2009 calendars. I was using Anthony Morocco's as a guide to consider for my BC (maybe late fall or early winter of this year). He's easy to understand and lays it all out there for you:

http://morroccomethod.com/lunar.shtml

But have also looked at:

http://www.longhairlovers.com/moon_maintenance.html
http://lunarium.co.uk/calendar.php
Crazy...I'm scheduled to trim on 4/9 which is right before my b-day and I go out of town and 4/9-4/11 are listed as optimal length days. I'm not ruling it out, where do folks think the almanac came from???

TeaKyoo

I do this. The Moroccan method is different than cutting my just phases of the moon. I think it is based on Vedic astrology or Ayurveda.

TQ

vkb247

I think that it will be easier for me to pick my own dates based on whatever phase the moon is in. In the northern hemisphere we had a new moon on the 26th so according to these article now is a good time to cut for me because the light is increasing and I want increased growth.

This site shows the phases of the moon on each day:
http://www.tutiempo.net/en/moon/phases.htm

I will wait until after February 19th to retouch because that is when the moon is in pisces and moist energy is abundant.

I have been trying to figure out if or how I was going to deal with trimming/retouching anyway so I might as well try this.