Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

Shadiyah

My hair stretches slightly past my collarbone. I didn't really see a significant change in frizz while doing the CG method but my hair feels softer. But it could be bc...here in Florida it's usually humid and regardless of what I put on my hair it poofs up something serious when completely dry. Unless I pack on the gel but then it's crunchy :ohwell:

oh let me tell you about the gel.... once it is dry and crunchy come back with just your hands and rub over your curls it will make them loose and bouncy without the crunch... let me know how that works for you.

isawstars

Curly Girls, how often are y'all doing oil rinses? i want to add them to my regimen after a good experience but I'm concerned about build up.

Shadiyah

Curly Girls, how often are y'all doing oil rinses? i want to add them to my regimen after a good experience but I'm concerned about build up.

I guess I don't really do what they call a oil rinse but I put castor oil on my scalp and some times I just run the water through my hair and then style it with gel or mixed chicks leave in. I can't leave oil in my hair for days because it will just limp.

Shadiyah

I really want to say to the curly girls that true to this style and lookin to make your curls pop and not just I will do this for a min and then weave it back up. I am here to tell you that you have to tame your curls and you will see a big difference. you will see the your real texture and curl pattern come out. not washing with shampoo so much and the co washing is really important in being a curly girl. knowing which gel or curly pudding that is going to work for you. I found that co washing is the best thing for my hair even if I am not wearing it out that day. If I am not going to wear it out I will put in my hairveda whipped ends hydrations and my olive oil or castor oil I get to keep it really moist and my ends gets a break. but please stick with it find your conditioner and crunch your curls up to your scalp after you apply the gel and do not put your hands in your hair until it is fully dry and once it drys softly run your hands over your hair and get the crunch out and make the curls bouncy. make sure your fingers touch every strand.

Shadiyah

I just have to say this... I don't know if this will be my last post for the night or not lol but I have something to say about being a curly girl and wash n go. I like to co wash my hair everyday or like I said unless I am keeping in the plaits. but last night it was so late I just pulled it up and put my cap on my head so I refresh in the morning. well... I have to tell you all... I don't like the next day. I like mines fresh everyday. it looks more sticky and like it do when you know your hair needs to be wash. I don't think I will be doing this anymore. I have to co wash everyday to get the look I like.

isawstars

What are you ladies using for protein?? I want to use something on the natural side... like Aubrey Organics etc. Right now the majority of my products are Oyin Handmade. The only protein I know of is AO's GPB, I would love some other natural reccomendations.

Shadiyah

ok it's offical..... I have to stick to using mixed chicks leave in with help with eco styler to get the look I want.. I can not do the eco styler on it's own for the look that I like with my hair. I love bouncy soft airy hair and that is what I get with mixed chicks... I know we all have our posions and I have found mines yyyyyyaaaaaaa!!!!!!

:bdance: :dance7: :circle:

Esthi777

I'd really like to try this but I'm so confused. I'm a lurker and have been lurking in this thread since July. I found a TON of Yes to Carrots Conditioner and Mud Mask and Yes to Cucumbers Conditioner at a close out store for $3. I bought up that whole dang store and came home with a trunk load of Yes to. I just read online on Curly Talk I think that Yes to Carrots has cones but a post earlier says it doesn't. So frustrated... *walks out of thread back to Lurksville with head hung low* :(

Esthi777

Oh WOW! It's amazing what a little reading for myself can do instead of relying on others. DIMETHICONE is clearly listed in the ingredients. I am so mad at myself right now y'all...

isawstars

Oh WOW! It's amazing what a little reading for myself can do instead of relying on others. DIMETHICONE is clearly listed in the ingredients. I am so mad at myself right now y'all...

Which one of their products has Dimethicone? I use their regular conditioner and it doesn't have any cones.

SmilingElephant

I read somewhere...I think it was on Curl Talk when I was going strictly CG ...that the old formula had cones in it. The only reason I remember this is bc ppl were complaining they didn't like the new formula bc they took the cones out.

You may wanna still see for yourself tho...I've been wanting to try it but i'm not a fan of the smell. It smells like a skin care product.

Idk I'm just weird like that:grin:

Esthi777

That makes sense!! I more than likely purchased the old formula! Hence...closeout store... $3... UGH!! *banging head on wall*

Esthi777

isawstars Hair and scalp moisturizing mud mask AND pampering hair mud conditioner. But I'm pretty sure it's the old formula. That's what I get for being cheap! LOL!!

Shadiyah

you know I have brought so many products over this last month just to be using it on someone else head because I don't like it. all that money for jane carter out all that money for that banana hibisc something that's out.... now that I just found out that my old stable has a look alike I just ordered it and have to try it to see if it's as good as my old stable mixed chicks line. so when mixed silks get here I will have to let you all know how it worked out for me lol. and yes they have cones and sulfates in them but look I have been using mixed chicks for like over 2 years and after all the other things I've tried I am not giving it up. well that is unless mixed silk will replace it.

SmilingElephant

you know I have brought so many products over this last month just to be using it on someone else head because I don't like it. all that money for jane carter out all that money for that banana hibisc something that's out.... now that I just found out that my old stable has a look alike I just ordered it and have to try it to see if it's as good as my old stable mixed chicks line. so when mixed silks get here I will have to let you all know how it worked out for me lol. and yes they have cones and sulfates in them but look I have been using mixed chicks for like over 2 years and after all the other things I've tried I am not giving it up. well that is unless mixed silk will replace it.

Okay?! I'm gettin tired of paying an arm and a leg for everything. For the sake of ingredients. I'm just going back to buying what works:yep:

Shadiyah

well I am still doing my curly girl... had taken a break but come to realize this is who I am lol my hubby said you really want to get your hair down to your hip??? I said yes because when I wear it curly it will still hang over my shoulders..

blazingthru

what happen to this thread did everyone throw in the towel. I have started doing this method and Its an adjustment. But I love how curly and silky feeling my hair is and how I don't have to do much to it anymore. Its really very simple. I am gonig to go for a year and see how it works, but just from reading others results and seeing videos on youtube, i think it will work. So far so good.
I purchased about 8 bottles of Tresseme because it was easy to get to for now I am going to use them all up. I gave up all. ALL my other products and just keeping this and the mud, I plan to wash my hair once a month. I plan to co wash once a month. I plan to deep condition twice a month.
I am hoping I get growth without thinking about it. Its been a few weeks.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I've been doing the CG routine for a while now and love it. My hair definitely feels better without all of the cones and stuff. :grin:

What's everyone cleansing with? Right now, I'm using Silk Dreams Whip My Hair and am looking for other options just because I like trying new things. :giggle:

SmilingElephant

I'm a modified CG now:)....some of my DC contain cones and i have been using sulfate shampoos...but my moisturizers, stylers, co-washers are all CG friendly.

Cherokee-n-Black

OK, so I'm back (a little embarrassed that I was on this thread but couldn't find it) and newly natural. I'm not ready to sign off on co-washing just yet, since I still haven't really tried it exclusively. A couple of ahem mishaps necessitated that I clarify my hair and start over. But NOW I'm going to co-wash. I actually wasn't conscious in the past of whether my conditioners were cone-free (Now I'm sure that was the major issue, as my issue was build up and scalp irritation) so now that I am a little more educated, I'm going to try and do it right. Conditioner only and conditioner +gel wash and go's work for me right now. Still trying to figure out the right ratio of conditioner to gel. And trying to figure out why Lorraine Massey's own product (Angell) has a cone in it...but right now I'm laying off the gel.

I want to try Tressemme Naturals (since it's about oh, 1/7 of the price of DevaCurl One Condition) and Giovanni which I already have. I've also been testing out the method on my 4a and 4b kids. I also want to try my Curls Hair Tea conditioner because when I used it before, I thought my curls looked so nice and I would always think "it's a shame I have to rinse this out" LOL Who knows how it will dry, but it's still a good conditioner regardless. I can't do any of the V05's for some reason. They just leave my hair dry and straw-like. I didn't realize Suave had so many cone-free conditioners. I'm giving cone-free a chance, but I reserve the right to return to cones if this doesn't work out for me!

Shadiyah

i have never really considered going cone free just to be a curly girl. I consider myself cg anyway. I co wash everyday and i still use mixed chicks and still loving my curls. I thought I heard there was a new challenge for 2012????

katote

I've been doing this method for about 2 wks. Tresemme Naturals works very well. I hate the waxy feeling in my hair from the Devacurl One Conditioner.