My Stylist said: Relaxer/Texlax when taking weave/braids down Don't Comb.

MsRR

Hey Guys, I need your help here. I got a weave and kept it in for 2 months and my hair matted at the base of 3 braids and this cause me to loose alot of hair...I also did the applicator bottle to shampoo and to condition....I got another weave and my stylist who did my hair before the weave told me to do a net and I did...I taking the weave down after it being in a month this time and my stylist said do not comb through my hair because this will cause my hair to break in which it did last time even on the braids that did not matted...Ok...she said I should relax not bone straight or anything like a tex lax I think yall call it...because she never did a bone straight relaxer on my hair anyway. I recall a member here saying her friend does that and she never had problems hair grew just fine...what do yall think? I know you should not relax if you gonna weave/braid your hair but my hair is breaking I'm not retaining my growth.​

Leesh

MsRR, For one, You "Must, Must, Must" detangle, and remove the shed hair, regardless to what or you will get severe matting, but if your hair cannot take detangling, braids may not be for you, there is no way to get around detangling before washing, after a braids "Take-Down" or you will "Definatley" experience matting, As for the relaxing prior to braids, it depends on your hair type, because I know that I'm type 3b/c and my hair cannot bare braids, noway, no how, its just too weak! but if I was to ever do any kind of braids (hypothetically speaking), I would not advise relaxing prior to braids, especially bone straight, its in a even weaker state from the chemical process!

Last edited:

shunemite

Idk much about weave, I only braid. But for take down it's one rule: You must detangle! How are you gonna get rid of tangles unless you do? I wear braids a lot. I've done it the right way, and the wrong way. You must detangle. Starting from the ends. I think the worst I ever did was keep braids in waaaaay too long, and I had to detangle with a toothpick. I don't recommend that to anyone but I was able to detangle over the course of several days and I didn't lose much hair.

As far as how long you left the weave in, that could contribute to the matting. My hair doesn't like to be in braids longer than 6 weeks, and 8 is stretching it. Also, I don't know if when you washed your hair with the weave in it if it didn't dry completely underneath the net. I'll let someone else chime in on that one since I've never had a sew-in.

faithVA

I agree you must detangle. But before you take the braids out make sure your hair is well moisturized. If you need to apply braid spray or an oil mix thoroughly in your hair overnight. If you have kept your hair moisturized well with the weave you probably won't need to do this but if you are experiencing a lot of breakage it doesn't sound like it has enough moisture or oil in the hair. Then prepoo or apply some conditioner or whatever else you use prior to detangling.

The back of my hair usually matts within 10 days. I found with additional moisture and sealing it better it doesn't do this any more. My braids came out very easy, it was easy to detangle and didn't tangle when I finally shampooed it.

Can't help with the relaxer. Have been natural way too long.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I agree with the relaxer part. A weave is the reason I went natural. My then-stylist pointed out that it was a waste to relax my hair then put a weave on top. So, after trying the tex-lax thing, she simply stopped using the relaxer or halo. I really didn't have problems with it.

What I found matted my hair the worse turned out to be the use of synthetic hair. It wasn't work the money or effort.

MsRR

Ok thanks everyone...I will try to do without relaxer once again..its been since March that I relaxed and it just seem like I'm doing more damage with the breakage and all although I get alot of growth from the weave...I will try this once again...and to think I was going to pay $70 to have my stylist relax/texlax my hair and $30 to take the weave down.... just to put a weave in the following day...as I'm typing this I realize how crazy this sounds...oh well...thanks alot guys.