Crunchy Ends

lana

Why in the world were my ends crunchy today, well yesterday and today? I just got a trim last week and my friend used brand new scissors, I was there when she bought them, she gave me a minor trim but it shaped my hair up in such a pretty way! My ends are even and healthy....I can't remember them ever being this crunchy.

This is what I did:

Prepoo with Posner Oil Serum
Shampoo with Redken Smooth Down
Condition with Redken Smooth Down - Rinsed really well
Place hair in four ponytails after using a little dab of Redken Serum and detangling.
Let airdry for 20 minutes, blow dry while the hair is still damp

I flat ironed this morning with my Maxiglide and boy were my ends difficult to straighten out! I lost about 20 (broken) hairs, which I never do, at this rate I'll have thin hair in six months instead of thick hair like I have now.

Help, what did I do wrong? I'm thinking it was the airdrying for 20 mintues. That's the only thing I changed in my routine. Because usually I comb out and blow dry while it's still dripping wet.

The first and last time I airdried, I had tons of breakage. Airdrying is not for me. I just use my blowdryer on the lowest setting.

If your ends are crunchy, sounds like they are dry. I think you should apply more moisture to your ends. Also was one of the things on your list a heat protectant to apply before you flatiron/blowdry? While i am airdrying i always put a moisturizer and seal it with oils to combat dryness during the airdrying process.

Last edited:
I agree it sounds like a moisture problem. I use the Generics version of Humectress (Sally's) or NTM Triple silk (Rite Aid) to moisturize my ends it completely eliminates the dry feel and sound. Whenever I wet my hair (usually every 2 or 3 days) I deep condition then I airdry after applying mango butter and/or LIV to my hair especially the ends. The results are always smooth and hydrated. Before I started this routine some of the products I used before I airdryed caused my hair to be crunchy.

Airdrying could be the problem. When ever I air dry I get dry ends that are more prone to breakage. Try adding a leave in or a moisturizer concentrating on the ends. HTH

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
I agree it sounds like a moisture problem. I use the Generics version of Humectress (Sally's) or NTM Triple silk (Rite Aid) to moisturize my ends it completely eliminates the dry feel and sound. Whenever I wet my hair (usually every 2 or 3 days) I deep condition then I airdry after applying mango butter and/or LIV to my hair especially the ends. The results are always smooth and hydrated. Before I started this routine some of the products I used before I airdryed caused my hair to be crunchy.

Ebony,
Does this contain protein or mineral oil. Overall how do you use this?

Thanks for the tips guys. You're right I didn't put on my regular leave in, I was trying to use all Redken products so I used the Redken Smooth Down Serum as my heat protectant, but a serum doesn't moisturize now that I think of it. I'm going to go home and put on some of my B&B Oil Moisturizer right on my ends. That way I can avoid breakage and the frizzies.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Lana

When I've had this problem, it was usually a combination of the airdrying and build-up froom the products that caused it.

I found that happened to me when I used the Redken shampoo and conditioner. Both the shampoo and conditioner have cones in them and these would coat my hair, not let the moisture in and lead to "crunchy ends" once my hair dried.

My hair is really fine and I get a lot of build up fast. So when my hair starts to get crunchy or is drier than normal, I wash it with a clarifying shampoo and then condition and it goes back to normal.

When I airdry I HAVE to seal my soaking wet ends with oil. I usually choose one of the oil blends like Hot Six, WGO, Proclaim Natural 7, or Wonder 8 (yes I have them all, I'm an oil blend PJ). WGO is by far the best (but the most expensive) and Hot Six is a close second. I think a lot of other ladies here find they have to add oils to airdry as well.

I have this problem on a regular basis, it's worse when I air dry of course. Any suggestions to how it can be helped? baggie technique?:confused: desparate

I have this problem too and I cant solve it :( the rest of my hair is great just not the ends. I are crunchy and sound like sand paper to my ears. Tried the baggie hasnt worked. After my hair dries it is hards as a rock to me.

since the ends of the hair are the oldest.. its natural for them want to be more drier.. so I co-sign the MOISTURE solution that all the other ladies already stated. Also after moisturizing be sure to seal with an oil. The oil will help keep the ends lubricated and preserved.

Back