Craziest thing you've ever done to your hair?

ANaturalBrotha

Re: Craziest thing you\'ve ever done to your hair?

Listening to my mother saying that s-curl perms make your hair grow. So i kept putting them on every 3 or 4 weeks

wwildnpeaceful

Okay ladies, no I am not retarded but, the things I have done to my hair may make you wonder!

Here it goes, I would relax my hair with a NO-LYE relaxer, then, about one week later, use permanant hair dye in jet black (I thought that was the only way I could get that silky shiny look). I would not even use a deep conditioner, treatment etc. To me, cream of nature was all I needed!
This process went on for several years. By this time, only by the grace of God, my hair was a halfway decent 18 inches long. Eventually my hair started to weaken. I then started straight protein treatments, such as Nexxus Emergencee, Barry Fletcher's protein, etc., with no follow up moisturizing treatment! This was my routine once a week. Then my hair started to break in the back (what a surprise right)! Since I believed that long hair (no matter the condition) was all that mattered, my vanity wanted to hold on to the length. So, I weaved two tracks in the back of my head. Even though I sewed them in, my hair was too weak, dry and proteined, so it fell out more. So... I increased my protein treatments to 2X a week! To make a long, sad story shorter, one day I took out my weave and realized that the hair in the back of my head was about 6 inches long! I had to realize at that point, that I did not know what I was doing. I went to a Hair Cuttery (I was despirate) and asked the cutter to cut all my hair even with absolutely nothing split nor dead. I had to start all over with 5 inches of hair! That was March 19, 2003. Today, less than one year, after a lot of research, reading, asking those who know and would share and very gentle treatment, my hair is 14 inches of silky, healthy and just over all beautiful hair! My hair grew back in right in such a short amount of time, I am so pleased!

I think the moral of this sad but true story, (besides the obvious) is: for us women of color, don't hold on to that dead hair just to keep the length, it really isn't worth it and it really is unattractive. A short head of healthy hair is much, much more pleasing to the eye than long, damaged hair. And besides, it will grow back, just educate yourself in the way to keep it on your head in a condition where it will compliment your overall appearance instead of taking away from it. Happy hair growing all!

Trinity1

Once I washed my hair with a neutralizing shampoo and then followed up with a protein conditioner only to realize that this would be too drying and my hair started to break for about a week until I was able to stop the breakage with constant deep conditioning every 3 days.

Tee Tee

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate

I used to put gobs of Vaseline thinking that my hair would grow faster. It just made my hair a greasy mess.

KathyMay

oh lord where do I begin

I had jheri curl when I was in the 5th and 6th grade (my aunt just to take me to get it done long crazy family story)

In jr high I used to go the salon and have one of those short nad medium haircut, needless to say I was young and didnt know what I was doing so my hair was a mess, so I just wore it in a slick back with protein gel (nasty mess)

When I started wearing braiding and my edges were ruff I used a relaxer and thought the braids were thinning out my edges

That is all I can think about right now but I have done a lot of crazy things to my hair but I just cant remember them all now

karezone

I have heard of people relaxing their hair while it is in micro braids. I was always afraid that you would not be able to neutralize properly.

Karonica

When I was 11, I parted my hair from ear to ear and made a "bang." It was the biggest bang known to man. My mother made me go to bed at 6pm that night.

missykeyana

I cut my bangs really short while I was in middle school. ehh...I had to get really creative trying to cover up my forehead after that stunt.

Nay

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
When I was 11, I parted my hair from ear to ear and made a "bang." It was the biggest bang known to man. My mother made me go to bed at 6pm that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, that had me laughing OUT LOUD HARD. "It was the biggest bang known to man." I just can picture your superbang. Too Funny!!

Crystena77

What's funny is a HAIRDRESSER gave me a bang like that. My mom's initial reaction:

"WHAT THE HELL DID SHE DO TO YOUR HAIR?!!!!"

Never went back.

Tracy

When I started college, I couldn't afford to get a relaxer. I was wearing my hair short and figured I could handle relaxing it myself.

I got myself a no-lye relaxer and just LAID my hair back with it - like gel or conditioner. I massaged it in. Combed it through (from root to tip - over and over and over) and left it in for about 30 minutes.

I did it every three weeks until my hair began to thin badly.

My very first thanksgiving break, I went home very very thin (I was sick) and half bald. My momma had a heart attack.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
After seeing the movie 'Girl 6', I went wig crazy. Two years and about 40 wigs/half wigs later my hair line was gone.

Konica & Nay,
The bang tales were the funniest I ever read. I laughed so hard and long my eyes watered!! :grin:
Well, if you two had the bigest bangs, I had the smallest... When I was 4 years old I took the kitchen shears and quietly snuck into the bathroom to create bangs like my white girlfriend from daycare.
At first I cut it eyebrow length but they wouldn't lay flat so I kept cutting, thinking that the hair would lie flat if it were shorter...I emerged minutes later with a 4"x4" bald spot on the front of my head. So, I wore two shoulder length pony tails with ribbons and this fist sized bald spot in the front of my head. I thought I was sooo cute- my mother just cried and cried! :(

Dolapo

-i washed my hair with laundry detergent
-i have a bad habit of cutting my hair....i had a TWA in high school. it was a boarding school. I was bored and decided to give myself a haircut. i had patches all ove rmy head. The next day was visiting day and when my dad saw it, he nearly went mad. so i had to lie that someone cut my hair while i was asleep
-My first year of college, i would relax every month and flat iron everyday with pink oil
- i bought scurl and put it in my relaxed hair. i was trying to achieve curls and when i saw a pic of myself, my hair and me looked like sh*t
-i never used conditioner
when i had micros, i wouldnt tie a scarf before going to bed and i put my arm on one and tore my hair out of my scalp....
- i would let anyone play with my hair since they liked it cos it was very soft and figured my hair wouldnt get easily damaged

kenkaikim

I used six different shades of PERMANENT haircolor within a month, and I had a relaxer at the time! Needless to say, my hair was practically falling from my scalp on it's own. So, I decided to shave my head BALD!

Netta1

1. get a jerri curl

2. get a perm

3. get a perm, then dye my hair blond (with a booster), then get it braided with extensions all in ONE day.

4. While I was in the basic training I put a perm over my braid extensions, just so I could perm my new growth WHILE in braids.

while natural...........

the craziest thing I ever did was comb my hair while it was dry....OUCH!

Last edited:

Cichelle

Combing my hair while it was dry and a tangled mess. ...And then I wondered why I had a handful of hair in my hand afterwards. But, at this point, I think the craziest thing I ever did to my hair was relax it every four months, pulling the relaxer through to the ends. I cringe just thinking about it now.