Craziest thing you've ever done to your hair?

Crystena77

Craziest thing you\'ve ever done to your hair?

I was thinking back to all the nutty things I've done to my hair. Well not "nutty" but definitely misinformed.

I've pulled relaxer through to the ends of my hair. Initial result was great - then it thinned and broke off and the tears started.

I used to shampoo only with CON and NEVER condition for MONTHS and then wonder why my hair looked horrible.

I used to flat iron my hair all day long trying different styles and whatnot.

My poor hair...

What's the craziest thing you've ever done to your hair?

itismehmmkay

Re: Craziest thing you\'ve ever done to your hair?

Haha....this is cute.

1. In junior high, I took my hair out of braids and tried to wear an afro-inspired style (trust me...it was not an afro!)

2. In highschool, I would roller-set my hair in tiny sponge rollers and wear an afro puff inspired style.

3. With my first TWA, I tried to do my own twists......without a successful hair gel/pommade.....yeah. I don' t know how I got away w/ that.

karezone

1. Flat iron my hair everyday. The sad thing is that it actually grew.

2. Get those gelled up French rolls and waves and leave them in for a month at a time, and my hair actually grew.

3. Wash, condtion and blow dry on high, and then flat iron every three days, and my hair actually grew.

4. Used Motions CPR as my regular conditioner and my hair still grew.

5. Used undiluted setting lotion for a crunchy curl set, and my hair still grew.

6. Used Jazzing in Blue Black every week and basically washed my hair down the drain.

7. Combed relaxer through to the ends so that my hair would be "bone straight".

Angelicus

other people usually did my hair horribly. then i got my hands on it one day @ age 14.

my mom gave me a crimping iron from the thrift store and i used it on the hair. my hair went from brown to red, it broke off, it fell out so much hair on the floor that i cried.

A_Christian

Having the edges touched up with a relaxer every 4 weeks, sometimes every 2 weeks
I'm shocked I still had hair on my head after that,lol.

HotCoCoGurl130

I use to wear weaves but that is not the bad part. The weaves were not the problem it was the glue I used to bond the tracks to my hair and my scalp, YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nefertiti0906

1. I let my friend dye my hair "Blazing Burgandy" on a whim, we were bored....but we left it on too long cuz we were having too much fun and the color was very bright

2. I dyed my hair back to black because I was sick of the color, then I cut off my hair (which was a little bit below my shoulders) to be about 3-4 inches and uneven. Again, I was bored

This all happened last year, and the good news is that it grew back and its below my shoulders again

NAY007

Did not wait long enough between relaxer-color-color!!!

Then my hair thinned out and I decided to get extensions to cover it up and my hair was too weak to hold the extensions. I had a lot of breakage!!!

EmeraldSky

Oh lawd, here goes.

1. Blowdry then flat iron my hair every weekend.
2. Applied two rinses then permanent hair color over my already bleached highlighted hair within 2 weeks of getting it highlighted.
3. Cut my own hair! (not trims either)
4. Use a butternife held over the stove for a few seconds to straighten the edges of my hair back when my hair was natural (I didn't know how to get it smooth using the blowdryer).

H

honey_jammz82

1. Hilighted my hair with bleach and two days later, I did it again.
2. Blow-dried my hair straight every morning on high, and curled it too with a hot tools curling iron on its highest setting instead of just wrapping it at night!?!?
3. Appllied my own relaxer up until I was 15, and never paid attention to timing and I would put it through the length of my hair!?!?
4. Applied Sun-In spray to my hair for the hell of it, and ended up with some crazy colors, but I did not care, I just bought more.
5. Used hard brown gel a lot to lay my hair down, and I would just comb the gel out of my hair after it dried and do it the next day.

ChasingBliss

I had a friend who used spray starch to hold her curls out of desperation. She had type 2b hair and SAID her hair could take that kind of abuse...

B

Bublnbrnsuga

When I began perming,I had the notion that the perm was to make my hair "bone straight." Well I had THREE ends to roots perms (yes,just like when they first apply it to virgin hair all over) and guess what? My hair never got "bone straight." It's a miracle that I still have hair.
Before I got a perm, I used to:
1. Wash my hair,blow dry it while wet, THEN got a hard press. And just like Karezone,my hair grew.

Dutchess

Sprayed holding spray on my hair, then put the curling iron on the hair and it stuck on the rod and burned my hair off.

VelvetRain

When I was like 12 I got hold of a straightnening comb(did not have a relaxer then) Anyway I failed to recognize that the iron was too hot and ended up singeing most of bangs off. My hair is dark brown in appearance but turned a nasty dark orange from the heat of the iron. It took months for my bangs to grow back. It's actually kind of funny thinking about it now.

karezone

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
When I began perming,I had the notion that the perm was to make my hair "bone straight." Well I had THREE ends to roots perms (yes,just like when they first apply it to virgin hair all over) and guess what? My hair never got "bone straight." It's a miracle that I still have hair.
1. Wash my hair,blow dry it while wet, THEN got a hard press. And just like Karezone,my hair grew.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it so funny. When I abused my hair it grew like a weed. The only healthy thing that I did was wait 12 weeks between relaxer touch ups. Even though they were combed through touch ups.

helthynzs

Back in middle school(1982)I relaxed my hair and less than rwo weks later I tried to put a jheri curl in it. See, one of my girlfriends told me I could take the relaxesr out with a vinegar rinse.LOL!! Of course the curl didn't take so I braided that mess up for two weeks. When I took those braids out clumps of hair fell out. For weeks I had a few bald spots. Luckily the worst damage was at the top of my head so I could comb it back into a very very thin ponytail.

helthynzs

Back in middle school(1982)I relaxed my hair and less than rwo weks later I tried to put a jheri curl in it. See, one of my girlfriends told me I could take the relaxesr out with a vinegar rinse.LOL!! Of course the curl didn't take so I braided that mess up for two weeks. When I took those braids out clumps of hair fell out. For weeks I had a few bald spots. Luckily the worst damage was at the top of my head so I could comb it back into a very very thin ponytail.Knowledge is power.

teenie

I decided to iron my hair straight crazy part was that I used an iron that you iron clothes with. I think I got that crazy idea off tv.

laketta

I cut my hair into that oaktown 357/salt n pepa long hair on one side short on the other and shaved off in the back and side and all of it freeze curled.
oaktown 357

My hair dissed me for years because of it.

channy89

[ QUOTE ]
teenie said:
I decided to iron my hair straight crazy part was that I used an iron that you iron clothes with. I think I got that crazy idea off tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Nacai23

Put a relaxer in my hair one week, then I colored it a week later. That was the end of my relaxed hair.

frankie

I've done some crazy things to my hair, and since I liked short hair cuts I didn't care cause I knew I would be cutting it off anyway.

I used Kool-aid to color my hair, after lightening it with peroxide.
Shampooed my hair and only used a leave-in conditioner...instead of conditioning. Used gel everyday whenever I did grow out my hair to slick back the edges of my ponytails. Went waaay too long without washing my hair. Used a hot curling iron daily throughout high school...if my hair wasn't picture perfect (IMO) I wasn't leaving the house. I'm sure I could think of more damaging practices, but I'm sure everyone gets the idea.

Victorian

old head

[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it so funny. When I abused my hair it grew like a weed. The only healthy thing that I did was wait 12 weeks between relaxer touch ups. Even though they were combed through touch ups.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair used to grow too, even though I abused it quite a bit. I blow-dried and hot curled every week, didn't tie my hair up at night, brushed my hair like 2 or 3 times a day (to the ends)...And it grew. The ends were pretty jacked up after a while, but the longest strands were almost to brastrap before I realized how ridiculous my hair looked and cut off a few inches. But I also didn't relax very often either. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if I had been relaxing more often...

Mija

Exotical OG

Relaxed my hair twice in one day in 1985 when I was 9 because it didnt 'take' the 1st time.
Junior year in high school I decided to cut the sides of my hair into a bi-level haircut after seeing 'Who's the Man' and thinking thats what guys liked. That was when TLC came out and I had had hair like Chilli. I was sick that whole summer and became obsessed with healthy hair articles & books.

nutella

Last winter (my first winter natural since I was a kid), I was so loving my twa, that I would do my regular rinse and condition during my morning shower, and then just go on outside into the cold with my wet head!
When I permed my hair, I cannot even count all the ways I abused my hair. But one of the stupidest was doing a touch-up right before getting braid extensions (so I would have "smooth" edges)! Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Crystena77

[ QUOTE ]
frankie said:
I've done some crazy things to my hair, and since I liked short hair cuts I didn't care cause I knew I would be cutting it off anyway.

I used Kool-aid to color my hair, after lightening it with peroxide.
Shampooed my hair and only used a leave-in conditioner...instead of conditioning. Used gel everyday whenever I did grow out my hair to slick back the edges of my ponytails. Went waaay too long without washing my hair. Used a hot curling iron daily throughout high school...if my hair wasn't picture perfect (IMO) I wasn't leaving the house. I'm sure I could think of more damaging practices, but I'm sure everyone gets the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kool-aid??

Ummm I have to ask - does it work??????

lunalight7

In high school, I used a burgundy henna and then lightened with peroxide....hence, pink hair...a jherri curl at that...

frankie

crystena...

I used red kool-aid to achieve a redish hue...yes it does work

cybra

Up until I started braiding my hair last year (Aug), I basically used a curling iron in my hair everyday. Fortunately for me, like others, my hair continued to grow. Also, because I didn't like touching my hair up all the time, I would put a little deep conditioner in it and then blow dry it with a small tooth comb. This actually made my hair looked like it was just relaxed, but I'm sure that was damaging.

In high school, I would change the color of my hair so frequently nobody really knew what was my natural color...I cut and grew it often too. Worse I would use pure lemon juice and sit in the sun for an hour or so to highlight my hair in the summer.

I rarely tied my hair up at night. I only started doing it nightly when I joined this board. I actually had my hubby get me some pretty silk scarfs from France to wear so although my hair was tied up, I would still look nice to him when I went to bed. He actually found that "sexy"