Cost of professional relaxer?

How much does your stylist charge for touch up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

teacherjess

I get the Mizani Butter Blend w/trim for 75.00

A few years ago, I call myself going to one of the top stylist to the stars in Houston. Everything was a la carte. I got a retouch, trim and color and it totaled 165.00. What p***ed me off is I found out after the fact that the relaxer they used on my hair was Bantu ....

Oh no ma'am! Somebody would've gotten hurt that day!:nono::nono::nono:

I go to JC Penney & pay $65 for Mizani butter blends sen. scalp or reg. Mizani sen. scalp. I have gone other places in the past and paid as little as $35 to $40 in college but had no idea what they were using and consequently had breakage from them as well.

morehairplease

Oh no ma'am! Somebody would've gotten hurt that day!:nono::nono::nono:

I go to JC Penney & pay $65 for Mizani butter blends sen. scalp or reg. Mizani sen. scalp. I have gone other places in the past and paid as little as $35 to $40 in college but had no idea what they were using and consequently had breakage from them as well.
Hi there,

I see that you are in TN and wanted to ask if you live in Memphis? If so, could you share with me the JCPenny salon location your visit?
tia,
tishee

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
When I went to the salon I would $50 for a touch up, dc, and style. I have no idea what relaxer was used on my hair.:ohwell:

ellebelle88

I live in SC and the costs usually ranges from $50-$65 (including deep condition and trim), depending on where you go. I NEVER knew some people paid as much as they did for a relaxer until I met a girl this summer from NY who said that she only gets relaxers twice a year because it costs her over $100. All I could do was look at her in disbelief and shake my head.

Shoediva

Wow, Im not surprised to hear of the high price of salon services. This is why I miss my Stylist sooooooooooooooo much.. (hence the reason im almost 5 mos post, I dont feel comfortable doing my own relaxer at this point) I had been going to her for over 8 years. When I first started, relaxers was $40, It is now $55 but this did include trim & dc treatement. This was for Designer's Touch or Dudley's relaxer. A year ago she started her own hair product line called Dream. I have always said my stylist is in a class by herself. She puts the health of her clients head before her need for financial gain, she is a CLASS ACT.

I saw someone mention a Bantu relaxer:blush: I remember in 8th grade going to a Jamaican salon and that is the kind of relaxer they used to use. This was in 1982 I had no idea folks was still using Bantu. I can remember seeing Bantu in beauty supply store selling for $3.99 a few years ago. I would have had to cut someone.

Now that Im in the Tampa area I have no idea what is charged for a relaxer..

back2relaxed

I used to pay 125 for Phyto retouch, shampoo, deep conditioner and steam treatment. That was soo ridiculous. The relaxer was good, but no service is worth that much. If you needed a trim, that was an add'l 20.00! Forget about color, or any other service!! LOL.

I switched stylists in Feb 2009, and I now pay 55.00 for Mizani or Affirm relaxer, deep conditioner, and whatever style. If I need a trim its an add'l 10.00. Unless she stops doing hair, I will be staying w/her!

ellebelle88

I used to pay 125 for Phyto retouch, shampoo, deep conditioner and steam treatment. That was soo ridiculous. The relaxer was good, but no service is worth that much. If you needed a trim, that was an add'l 20.00! Forget about color, or any other service!! LOL.

I switched stylists in Feb 2009, and I now pay 55.00 for Mizani or Affirm relaxer, deep conditioner, and whatever style. If I need a trim its an add'l 10.00. Unless she stops doing hair, I will be staying w/her!

Girl, you better stay!! :lachen::lachen:

charmtreese

My stylist charges 105 and I tip her 15 bucks...it's worth it to me. She uses all of the products in the line for my relaxer, she listens to me, she does not fuss about my 16 week ng, she knows what a trim is and she gets me in and out without all the waiting.

30something

Bronx NY,
Dominican Salon
$35 relaxer + Blow Out (If you want)
$40 Relaxer + Blow Out (If you want) + DC
$45 Relaxer + Blow Out (If you want) + DC + Trim

I always get out in under 3 hours
They mostly use Dominican products

tasigurl

I am a stylist and I would not dream of charging my clients that much for thoes services. Before I became a pro I used to pay, when i felt like I was getting ganked price or service wise, I found a new stylist.

I always hook my regular clients up and new clients always get a discount. Other stylists may hate me but my clients love me I listen to them and keep there hair healthy & to me thats what counts...

You can stretch the time between relaxers. If it was me (and it has been). I would get some aphogee protein treatment and start rotating those between your relaxers. Protien will give you hair strength and help prevent breakage from the two different textures of hair you will have. Moisturize your hair daily for elasticity. Deep condition weekly with a moisture deep con. Switch to a sulfate-free shampoo that you use when you have build up and co-wash for your normal washes. For styling try low preferably no heat styling and use thermal protectors anytime you use heat.

Last edited:

teacherjess

Hi there,

I see that you are in TN and wanted to ask if you live in Memphis? If so, could you share with me the JCPenny salon location your visit?
tia,
tishee

Hi Tishee! Actually, I am originally from Memphis~ born & raised~ but now I live on the other side of the state in Knoxville. I was just there last week for Christmas. When I lived in Memphis, I went wherever my mama took me to get my hair done, which was hit or miss, or sometimes I let her give me a home perm and that was equally as disastrous!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

kami02

I go to a Dominican salon and she charges $65-$70 for a touch-up, deep condition and trim. The only thing is that she uses Dominican perm - I have no idea what type. But, she perms and cuts well. In Brooklyn, you can get a perm for as little as $25.

ladylina

I pay 75, that is with a tip. I love my stylist she is wonderful !!. In fact I am getting a relaxer this friday I love Brenda.

jcdlox

so I pay $105 for relaxer, cut and style which may seem high but then I was paying $70 over ten years ago. why wouldn't the price go up, everything else has? stylist suffer inflation like the rest of us right? I don't make what I made in 1990... I'm just sayin'

koolkittychick

I live in South Florida, and by the time I'm done with the service and tip, I'm out $140. That's why I stretch my relaxers a minimum of eight weeks, and am aiming for 16 weeks when all is said and done.

Raspberry

I live in South Florida, and by the time I'm done with the service and tip, I'm out $140. That's why I stretch my relaxers a minimum of eight weeks, and am aiming for 16 weeks when all is said and done.
koolkittychick woowww are you going to a high-end salon? I would be all into self-relaxing with that price. :lol:

Retouch + rollerset is $60 for me.. I don't have to tip because my stylist owns the salon but I usually do anyway. I plan to stretch for 3 months so the price A-ok for me..

HauteHippie

When I was relaxed in '07 (and living in Charleston, SC), I paid 60 for the relaxer, and 10 for a trim (as needed). I was a student with a budget, I think she regularly charged 80.

Now, I pay 40. I think it's 40, I can't remember exactly b/c I try to tip well. I get Salerm (Salerm, Salerm 21, whatever it's called) and I go to Juanita's in Brooklyn.

ETA: Juanita also puts a yummy smelling milk DC in my hair after the relaxer.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

candy626

I would never pay more than 60 dollars for a relaxer. The process and technique are not difficult.

I would do it myself and I felt more comfortable applying it to the back. I have my mother do it for me now but I used to go to stylist who charged 40 since I was in college