Why Stretch a Touch-Up?

In one of the threads inquiring into the average length of time 4Bs waited between touch-ups, I saw a great deal of discussion about "stretching" touch-ups beyond 8 weeks. Since the touch-up is to be applied only to the new growth, and not overlapped onto the hair that is already relaxed, I was wondering about the benefits of risking shedding and breakage at the demarcation line. Is this just to prove some point, or what? Please enlighten me. Thanks much, in advance, for all your posts.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Im wondering the same thing but I guess some want to see how much growth they achieved over a longer time period but some say its better for their hair. I know I cant wait passed 8 weeks. I cant stand having the nappy hair roots

Purtygurly

It helps you not to overprocess. Say you only had .5 inches of new growth... you have a small amount of hair to work with, which will increase your chances on getting relaxer onto previously relaxed hair.

Also, a relaxer is a very strong chemical. I think that it's best to limit your exposure to it, for the health of your body and scalp.

Aisha

I agree w/Purtygurly...It is alot easier to relax/w no overlap 3 inches of new growth, versus .5 inches...plus with flat irons, blow outs and braids you can go a long time before relaxing again..like purtygurly said relaxers are strong and it is easier to make a mistake if you relax 8 times a year versus 2 or 4 times...

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
Purtygurly said:
It helps you not to overprocess. Say you only had .5 inches of new growth... you have a small amount of hair to work with, which will increase your chances on getting relaxer onto previously relaxed hair.

Also, a relaxer is a very strong chemical. I think that it's best to limit your exposure to it, for the health of your body and scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
And to add to what everyone has said...Most of us have found methods to help extend time between relaxers. I like to use Carol's Daughter healthy hair butter. It keeps my new growth very soft. Braid outs and bantu knot sets also help. I usually go 12 weeks. If I wear braids add 2 more months to that.

[ QUOTE ]
Purtygurly said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone direct me to any clinical research or learned article about the adverse health effects of sodium hydroxide? Depending upon what research reveals, I may be willing to consider the "halo" technique to avoid overexposing my scalp to the chemical. Thanks.

LABETT

STretching out my relaxer has keep my hair from thining out
hair is more fuller when I wait 13 to 16 weeks to relax.