Corrective Relaxer on Ends

CaptainSyrup

Hello. I just got a touch up today, but I had to do a corrective relaxer because my hair was underprocessed from before. This time I used Vitale Life & Body, and it burned my scalp very badly. I had to wash it out, but I don't know if it got my hair straight or not because my stylist flat-ironed it afterward.

She didn't put any relaxer on the ends, though, so I'm wondering if I still have to wait awhile before I get a corrective done on them? Also, is it safe to wash my hair soon? I want to find out how much of my hair got straight, but I still feel burning on my scalp whenever something touches it, even if it's very lightly.

Wait- you said "touch up" right? So that means only putting the relaxer on the new growth. Are you saying that your hair was underprocessed from before and the entire length is underprocessed?

I hope you aren't putting the relaxer all through the length of you hair. And, even if your ends righteously have been underprocessed, why take the chance you will fry them? Ends are very delicate: they are the oldest part of the hair, and the most damaged from wear & tear and other abuses.

PLEASE do not put relaxer on your ends, I beg you. Better to be underprocessed than overprocessed and all over the floor! There are other ways of smoothing your ends. Treat your hair like fine, old lace and you won't be sorry.

Just my 3 cents. Good luck!

A

Thank you for the advice. I had a lot of newgrowth, but the rest of my hair was also underprocessed, so she put the relaxer throughout all of the hair, except for the ends.

Is it safe to flat-iron the ends? If it is I might have to stop washing daily, because I don't want to damage them with too much heat.

How bad are the ends? I wouldn't suggest flat-ironing them much. The ends are the weakest parts of your hair, so they need more love. If you want straight ends, try airdrying in a bun, or airdying in a ponytail with a roller on the ends.

I honestly don't know how to tell. Right now they look kind of fried, but when they aren't straight they used to look the same as the rest of my hair. I imagine they're a lot curlier than the rest of the hair now, though.

I'll try the ponytail method the next time I wash. I usually airdry, but I've never known what to do with it after it dries.

corrective relaxer on the ends? You might as well cut them off now. Im serious, thats begging for them to fall off. You say they looked fried already, a relaxer isnt going to make them better. I think you shoudl try babying them back to life or biting the bullet and trimming it off. As far as getting away from heat a rollerset almost always gives smooth ends. Never failed for me yet.
I just realized youre a NEWBIE!! WELCOME! but the waring stays... keep away from re-relaxing already relaxed hair.

Thanks for the welcome. =) I'm very glad for this board's advice, or my hair would probably be falling out right now.

I'm still concerned about the burns, though. I didn't think they were that bad, but when I woke up there was pus oozing from my scalp. =( I'm going to try putting vaseline or neosporon on it, but how long do I have to wait before I can wash it again?

Last edited:
I had those fried ends that were never straight. It's damage from overprocessing, too much heat or both. Like other posters have said, it sounds like you'll have to bite the bullet and cut them off. You can either go for a big chop or gradual and regular trims.

As for the burns, neosporin is an anti-bacterial so would be better than vaseline. Wait until the burns heal before brushing or washing your hair. You should probably try to find another stylist - the very best stylists never get relaxer on the scalp.

Wishing you the best.

Last edited:
Your focus should be on a healthy scalp. Originally, my first suggestion would have been not to wet the scalp until the oozing stops. I've since changed my mind though, because I'm concerned that there's some residual relaxer and products still on your scalp. So now my suggestion would be to do a thorough rinse so hopefully some of that is removed. I'm sure the use of shampoo would probably push you over the edge from the pain standpoint though, so just use plain water.

I'm not a doctor, but I was wondering if some aloe vera gel, which is sometimes used for burns, would perhaps help to cool and heal your scalp. I would also probably use the neosporin, but not at the same time. Think about rotating their usage.

Now, as far as your ends are concerned, they ARE disposable. Please don't relax them again. I had a professional from JCPenney's, I might add, who did just this. The result...ends that are coming off on a daily basis. And, dummy me, insists on keeping them...an absolutely, total waste of time and effort. Take it from my experience and just cut them off once and for all if you're unhappy with them and start over fresh. You'll save alot of time in the process.

Take care.

I'd hate to chop off my ends because, from the way they look when not straight, they make up a lot of my length. But, I'd still probably prefer a big chop, because if they're a problem I'd rather not have to work with them anymore.

I don't really have a regular stylist. I was going to go to the same one that did my first relaxer, but he was out of town, and the only other stylist available called in sick. So, I tried somebody new. I'm going to learn how to do it myself though, and touch it up when I have a lot of new growth so that I don't overlap. Hopefully that works out well.

Now, if I chop off the unrelaxed ends, will the remaining hair still be okay? Since the ends would be relaxed then? Or is it just the unhealthy ends that I need to be careful with?

Okay, I'm starting to confuse myself. XD

I'll do a rinse later today, and them put on some Neosporin. I think my Mom has some Aloe Vera, but we're out of town so I'll have to wait for now.

Welcome to the board!

I'm just co-signing on the Neosporin. My second to final relaxer left me with burns like the ones you described and Neosporin was the best thing I tried. I slathered it on 3 times a day.

Aw, man, Cap'n S, I'm SO sorry about the burns! I would not go back to the same person who did your relaxer. Did she base you well enough? And even if she did, she didn't apply the relaxer correctly or manipulated you hair incorrectly. You should not have chemical burns on your scalp from a relaxer. I had this happen to me once, years ago, and I still have a bald patch (small, thank God) where I was burned.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. I swear these ladies have helped me retain so much length!

Anyway, how much of your scalp is burned? If it's alot, please go see a doctor. You don't want scars: they = bald spots. If not, Neosporin away. (But make sure that all the relaxer is out 1st.)

Do try the rollerset. I stopped bolwdrying last year and I love my hair now. I wrap at night and only wash 2x per week.

Keep reading the posts. There is SO MUCH good infor here about taking care of our hair.

Again, welcome!

A

It feels like the entire scalp is burned. I checked through it yesterday, and all of it is red except for the part in the middle.

I'm going to put Neosporin on it once it dries (just rinsed it to get out any residue), and I'll go see a doctor once I get back home.

I plan to try the rollerset once my scalp is healed. How long should that take?

Sorry for your bad experience. I just wanted to say that along time ago when I got 1st relaxer this guy @ a salon used seabreeze on my scalp after all the relaxer was rinsed and hair was neutralized. I do remember it stinging a bit but it also was cooling and my hair never got the chance to stick to that burnt part of scalp.In the past, I've also used Paul Mitchells teatree shampoo after a chemical burn. I would also suggest that you get you some neutralizer and wash your hair cause that stylist may not of used any /or not used enough,then try one of the two products above then follow w/ the ointment. I like the Paul Mitchell shampoo best cause your hair won't stick to the burn much and the poo w/tea tree heals. That's my 2 cents.
What ever you chose I hope it helps, and as some one suggested you may have to see a dermatologist. Good luck!

I had a corrective relaxer in January from the roots to the tips and my hair is fine...it sounds like your ends our in pretty bad shape though..mine weren't bad.

I went to the doctor today, and he gave me some medicine to help with the tingly feeling. Should I continue with the neosporin also, or just take the meds?

Thanks for all your help, ladies.

Back