Corrective Relaxer

CheerBear

Does the hair have to be significantly underprocessed for a corrective relaxer to be ran through the ends? I ask because I'm thinking about going to have this done but dont want to cause unnecessary damage...

J

JenniferMD

I hope Ms_Kenesha sees this thread b/c I know she had one done, you may want to PM her.

CheerBear

Ok, I think I've changed my mind, I remember reading in an older article that you cannot correct underprocessing done by a no lye relaxer, now my hair is weak as it is, I refuse to make it worse by applying the chemical on it again to weaken it while not even getting straighter hair out of the deal!

inthepink

I've had a corrective relaxer before but I did not have it run all the way through my ends. The only part that was underprocessed was the just previously relaxed hair (about 2 months prior) so when I got my next touch up, I told the stylist and she re-relaxed that area, too. I had no problems as a result. I think it will have to do with the health of your hair, too.

CheerBear

My hair isnt terribly weak, but it isnt the strongest either, I'm so sad because i really dont like this condition my hair is in, I cant handle it well either , I have the straight ends, the underprocessed hair and this briar patch newgrowth and its all so difficult to manage! Is everyone absolutely sure that a no lye relaxer cant be corrected??Has anyone here DONE it with desirable results???

debyjay

I know exactly how you feel CheerBear. I have the same problem. I've been planning to get one for a year now but I'm too chicken. If I do make up my mind, I'll do a heavy protein treatment both before and after the relaxer.

CheerBear

bumping again...help..my hair is starting to break from the textures no matter what i do or dont do to it...correcting underprocessing done with no lye, yes or no?

patience

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CORRECTIVE RELAXER!!! That's something the industry created to get more money out of folks and from this thread, IT WORKED!!

You cannot "correct" damaged hair sweetie...sorry. You can either tough it out or cut it off. It's going to break because it's damaged. What is it that you want your hair to do?

CheerBear

Patience, my aim is not to correct any damage, my aim is to fix the underprocessing....further straighten the hair by reapplying the chemical to it.....

deborah11

I actually had this problem when i used a no-lye relaxer for about 18 months. Finally a stylist used the design essentials relaxer which straightened put quite a bit of the previously underprocessed hair. The next time I got a relaxer however my hair became overprocessed which lead me to transitioning to natural hair for the past 18 months. I think that the stylist damaged it by trying to straighten out the other parts of my hair that were still underprocessed and it was just too much and my hair couldn't take it. i suggust that you go to a stylist that knows how to do a corrective relaxer but do ONLY ONE CORRECTIVE procedure. If this doesn't work, moisturie your hair alot, wear protective hair styles and gradually cut off the underprocessed hair. Another option is to transition for a while to give yourself an opportunity to grow some new hair and than cut off the old hair and then get a new relaxer. Best of luck to you.

CheerBear

Re:Corrective relaxer,everyone read this last post

I've decided to cut my hair and keep it in whatever style its cut in until I get all the thin, overprocessed, heat damaged, chlorine damaged, underprocessed and any other bad form of hair I have on my hair right now..once its totally healthy and thick again, I'll worry about it growing...THANKS!

patience

CheerBear-
Congrats on deciding to cut it. However, please know that if you relax it again, you WILL damage it for the fact that relaxers break bonds in the hair to straighten it. If you really want it totally healthy, leave the chemicals alone. If you just want it to LOOK healthy, then be very selective of the chemical treatments that you use. However, please know that there is no such thing as "healthy, chemically treated hair" ...only "healthy LOOKNG chemically treated hair". I wish you the best!

MissMarie23

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
However, please know that there is no such thing as "healthy, chemically treated hair" ...only "healthy LOOKNG chemically treated hair". I wish you the best!

[/ QUOTE ]

While that may be your opinion, it's not actually true.

Chemically treated hair can be healthy. And, fyi, not all hair that is not chemically treated is healthy.

patience

[ QUOTE ]
Poetess232 said:
[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
However, please know that there is no such thing as "healthy, chemically treated hair" ...only "healthy LOOKNG chemically treated hair". I wish you the best!

[/ QUOTE ]

While that may be your opinion, it's not actually true.

Chemically treated hair can be healthy. And, fyi, not all hair that is not chemically treated is healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that non-chemically treated hair was automatically healthy but it is healthier than hair that is chemically treated...the bonds are stronger. However, we disagree on what healthy hair is and isn't. Guess we'll just agree to disagree...

Carlie

CheerBear said:
Ok, I think I've changed my mind, I remember reading in an older article that you cannot correct underprocessing done by a no lye relaxer, now my hair is weak as it is, I refuse to make it worse by applying the chemical on it again to weaken it while not even getting straighter hair out of the deal!

Wow, I never heard of this before... :scratchch

Is this really true? Does anyone have any info they can add? :confused: Has anyone ever done this and had success? T I A