Correct ways to use oils??

sarel

Hey Ladies!

Okay, I have some q's about applying oils to your hair.

1. What're the best way to incorporate oils into a regime?

From what I've read on here, oil molecules are too big to be absorbed into the hair shaft, and therefore, are only useful for sealing in moisture. But some people do pre-poo treatments and slather their hair w/ oil before a conditioner. Some people put oil in their spritz moisturizers and into conditioners. This confuses me because how is moisture supposed to get into the hair if it's blocked by the oil? :confused: If hair cannot absorb oil, wouldn't this mean that the moisture and oil stages should be applied separately (and in that order) for the best results? If so, why do people mix the two and still get good results?

2. What's the proper way to seal? I've been really REALLY unlucky w/ oils lately. I've put it in moisturizers, I've done the pre-poo, I've used VCO to seal. And each time, my hair's broken right off. I only comb during a conditioner, and even then, the bathtub was covered with broken off curls. Needless to say, oils have gotten me really nervous, but I know they're good for your hair. What's the secret to this oil thing & what am I doing wrong?

3. How often should you apply oils? How long does it take for oil to naturally come off the hair? Let's say I've just moisturized, then sealed w/ an oil. If oil keeps out moisutre, it seems like a waste to apply a new layer of moisutre/oil if that original layer is still there. Wouldn't this lead to faster build-up?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! :)

sarel said:
Hey Ladies!

From what I've read on here, oil molecules are too big to be absorbed into the hair shaft, and therefore, are only useful for sealing in moisture. But some people do pre-poo treatments and slather their hair w/ oil before a conditioner. Some people put oil in their spritz moisturizers and into conditioners. This confuses me because how is moisture supposed to get into the hair if it's blocked by the oil? :confused: If hair cannot absorb oil, wouldn't this mean that the moisture and oil stages should be applied separately (and in that order) for the best results? If so, why do people mix the two and still get good results?

2. What's the proper way to seal? I've been really REALLY unlucky w/ oils lately. I've put it in moisturizers, I've done the pre-poo, I've used VCO to seal. And each time, my hair's broken right off. I only comb during a conditioner, and even then, the bathtub was covered with broken off curls. Needless to say, oils have gotten me really nervous, but I know they're good for your hair. What's the secret to this oil thing & what am I doing wrong?

3. How often should you apply oils? How long does it take for oil to naturally come off the hair? Let's say I've just moisturized, then sealed w/ an oil. If oil keeps out moisutre, it seems like a waste to apply a new layer of moisutre/oil if that original layer is still there. Wouldn't this lead to faster build-up?

Thanks for asking these questions. I have been trying to do searches for the answers with no luck. Can one of you ladies answer these questions for us?
Thanks

sarel said:
Hey Ladies!

I use oils to seal in moisture if my hair is wet, or after I have applied a water based cream moisturizer.

My idea on this is if you think of a glass of water and you add oil to that glass of water, the oil will float on top. Oil and water when combined will always separate unless there is another ingredient added to bind the two. I believe it is the same with moisturizing the hair. The water is absorbed by your hair while the oil "floats" on top. This oil on top helps to keep the water that has been absorbed into the strands from escaping thus sealing in the moisture. I hope that makes sense and provides a good explanation as to why you can apply oil and water simultaneously. :ohwell:

I am not sure if there is a secret...I just apply moisturizer to my hair and then I apply oil to my ends to seal in the moisture. Sometimes after I wash my hair I apply oil to my wet hair to seal in the moisture. I think using a cream moisturizer may even eliminate the need to use oil because the cream moisturizer should have oil as one of the ingredients.

I apply moisturizer every day and I seal with oil everyday. I do believe that after sometime these products will cause buildup, but since I wash my hair 2-3 times per week this isn't a major concern of mine.

Another thing, I have read that the molecules in Jojoba oil are small enough to absorb into the hair strand, this is why so many members are a fan of this oil.

I hope my replies were helpful, this is just what I believe based on my research and experience.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, I just apply a little on my hair before I tie my hair up at night. I do that every 2-3 days or so.

I don't moisturize everyday because my hair does not like it. My moisturizing deep conditions and after shampoo leave-ins are good for my moisture and I have no need to use creamy leave-ins daily.

A very light coat of Kemi Oyl a few times a week keep my hair in order.

When I have lots of new growth, sometimes I will apply Nature's Blessings grease or something like NTM leave in to my new growth only to keep them soft and detangled. I really only have to do that once or twice between shampoos.

Thanks ladies! Trim, your explanation of the oil/water combo made perfect sense. The oil pre-poo still baffles me, but everything else makes sense! :)

Should you apply your oil as a sealer on all of your strands, or just the ends?

Honeydew, what's Kemi Oyl?

Kemi-Oyl is for daily use on any type of hair. It can be used on dry or wet hair. It is excellent for blow drying, curling, and defrissaging (pressing) because it creates a thermal barrier which helps to prevent dryness, split ends, and damage. Kemi-Oyl provides body, bounce, and new aliveness on chemically treated, colored, or natural hair.

The ingredients are secret...I believe it is a blend of essential oils with a carrier oil. I make my own:perplexed

I found this on www.motowngirl.com about hot oil treatments. This is a great website!!!

What the purpose of a hot oil treatment? Do you do them? If so, what do you use?AI read that the purpose of getting a hot oil treatment is to restore the natural oils to the hair and helps to restore moisture to the scalp. I used to do hot oil treatments all the time, but I never do them anymore. Most oils don't have the ability to penetrate into the hair shaft. All they do is coat the cuticle. Once I stopped using oils, I no longer had that "hard" feeling in my hair.

Back