Does your hair hate oils? Does your hair love oils? Reviews from both sides needed

How does your hair react to oils?

• hair hates cold oils, but loves hot oil treatments

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • hair hates cold oils alone, but loves them mixed with another substance

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • hair LOVES oils...hot or cold it makes no difference

Votes: 59 59.0%
  • OIL IS A MOISTURIZER!!!!!

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • My hair doesn't like hot oil treatments, but likes cold oils

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • My hair HATES oils period

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 14 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shiningstar84

Here's a theory I'm throwing out there about hot oil treatments...

First a lil background:

1. For years women have applied cold oils & grease to their hair strands and even the scalp. This method keeps moisture inside the hair...(verdict still out. I say this because of women here "seal" in the moisture)... but prevents moisture from getting into the hair.

2. I've recently started overnight oiling which is just baggying with oil. One night I sprayed my hair a water/glycerine mix. I waited 5 minutes for my hair to absorb the water. It took some, but the rest just sat there. I was too tired to wait until it was all absorbed. After the 5 minutes I applied the oil and went to bed. When I woke up the next day, my showercap was leaking water. My hair actually absorbed the oils, not the water:ohwell:

3. Oils do not/cannot moisturize the hair--Accepted as fact by most, simply because water is the only real moisturizer, and water and oils do not mix.

4. Heat expands the hair shaft or opens it up. Which allows the penetration of substances that couldn't get into the hair on their own;like oils for example

5. If oil can penetrate the shaft during a hot oil treatment, does the oil force the water/moisture out... leaving only oil...not moisture in the hair?

6. Many women used to use cold oils/grease alone thinking it was moisturizing the hair when it really wasn't. It gave them a false sense of hair health by leaving the hair shinier and softer.

7. Which is why I want to hear from women who say their hair hates oil. Can you please share your experiences of what happened to make you come to that conclusion?

8. For the women who love hair oils, what is it that the oil does for your hair and do you believe there is still moisture in there somewhere?

9. Could it be there are two types of moisture. Moisture from water and mositure from oils?? I don't believe this. Just thinking aloud....

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I picked the last one. For me, it depends on the oil and when I used it.

I probably first started getting into oil during my first transition 2 years ago. I mostly did hot oil treatments, and got no results. I think I used those little V05 Oil Works hot oil treatments, and my hair was always the same dry mess, which made me think hot oil treatments didn't work. Then I got some L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Hot Oil and it worked like a dream, both hot and cold.

I joined hair boards in April of this year and found out about oils and sealing. I first tried Kemi Oyl as a hot oil treatment and it was okay, but still a dry mess. But when I begin to use it as a sealant and it was okay. Then I tried EVOO and it was horrible all around, hot or cold, sealant or treatment. My hair was oily, greasy, and heavy everytime I used it. I then tried some Proclaim Natural 7 Oil and it was good as a sealant, but not as a treatment.

Now I can use most oil based moisturizers with no problem, but using oils by themselves gives me varied results.

HoneyDew

Hot oil treatment gross me out and my hair hates them.

I do love minimal oils.

On shampoo days, while my hair is wet, my scalp loves light (jojoba, hemp seed etc) or thicker oils.

On my dry hair to seal my moisturizer, I love Kemi oil or some other thicker oil like Emu oil or Shea oil. The thinner ones, I don't like on my dry hair.

gradygirl

My hair loves oils. I use WGO on my scalp and kemi oyl as a sealant. I moisturize with jojoba oil and my is thriving with it. I have tried alot of different water based moisturizers but nothing worked like this oil.

texasqt

The jury is still out on whether or not oils are moisturizing but my Ije oil does a good job of it to me. Water or anything wet doesn't do my hair right at all. The Ije makes my hair smooth and soft. I use it at night and its absorbed by morning. Next to that I would rank Hot Six.

Hot oil treatments - used once, didn't like, don't think I'll do it again.

WGO I use after washing and its good to but a bit greasy. I think its more of a sealant.

I'm still trying to figure out what's what too so I'll be watching this thread closely.

StrawberryQueen

My hair loves oils are a hot treatment, but alone no. I need to find another product that will work with my coconut oil.

Amarech

My hair has always been dry. Natural, relaxed, texturized and back again, the theme has been dry dry dry. My hair is literally transformed by oil!!!

I have tried to forego oil but my hair never acts right. And not all oils work the same on my hair. I use to swear by olive, but found out that it was sooooo heavy compared to (drum roll)

sweet almond oil

Wishin4BSL

My hair loves light oils. I ONLY use one oil, which is the one listed in my siggy. My moisturizer softens my hair, but the oil is what gives it shine. I NEED my oil! Except mineral oil. I get little broken hairs all over my shirt after using anything with mineral oil.

BrownSkin2

My hair love oils. It thrive on them. Lately, I've been doing hot oil treatments with castor oil on wet hair and my natural hair loves its. My hair needs a little oil on wet or dry hair.

HoneyDew

texasqt said:
The jury is still out on whether or not oils are moisturizing but my Ije oil does a good job of it to me. Water or anything wet doesn't do my hair right at all. The Ije makes my hair smooth and soft. I use it at night and its absorbed by morning. Next to that I would rank Hot Six.

Hot oil treatments - used once, didn't like, don't think I'll do it again.

WGO I use after washing and its good to but a bit greasy. I think its more of a sealant.

I'm still trying to figure out what's what too so I'll be watching this thread closely.

I have never heard of Ije oil , but I see you love WGO and Kemi Oyl. :grin: :grin: I love those, too.

lunalight7

I'm still experimenting w/oils....so far I LOVE pure unrefined cocnut oil...I swear that my hair absorbs it and the shine is bling-tastic. I also like using Hot Six oil the same way...on wet, moisturized hair. I've never tried oil on dry hair...never saw the need as I think of oils as sealants. WGO on my wet new growth is the truth for laying it down. I recently tried jojoba oil with big expectations and so-so results...I used it to seal moisture on my ends...I'm gonna try it on my scalp and try another brand before I give up on it. I really want to try sweet almond oil. I like adding EVOO to conditioners. I also wash my face w/ it and use it on my body after a shower.

Namilani

My hair is so iffy! I KNOW it likes to be sealed with certain oils, but it doesn't always like hot oil treatments... I've had some good hot oil pre-poos... Basically, my oil is for sealing in my moisturizer!

I use KeraCare Essential Oils. I think it works well on my hair. It gives it shine and makes my feel soft and supple the day after application.

lunalight7

SerenityBreeze said:
I use KeraCare Essential Oils. I think it works well on my hair. It gives it shine and makes my feel soft and supple the day after application.

This was the first oil blend that I tried when I began my hair journey. I remember liking it a lot to seal my ends...it was nice and light. Because of the price, I began to experiment w/ other oils.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I seriously don't know! :lol:

I know oils work well with other products or when my hair is moisturized, but if used on dry naked hair, they do not work for my hair.

LovelyLionessa

I love oils. I have so many that do different things. Coconut oil is great for pre poos and added to deep conditioning treatments for addional shine and conditioning, same goes for castor oil for TLC and thickness, Amla oil for conditioning lustrous, dark hair. WGO I use on my scalp after washing and on my hair for softness. I prefer straight up oil any day to packaged hot oil treatments that are water based, as they don't do much for my hair.

On my dry hair, I use various oil blends, Africa's Best, Dabur Vatika, Hot Six just to name a few. I find I can either use oil to seal over a moisturizer or if my hair doesn't really need much, I can use oil alone. I had a dreamy experience using Dabur Jasmine oil before bunning my hair for the night, this morning, I had the lovely scent of jasmine in my hair. :drunk:

Okay, I'm babbling, I'll stop now. Can you tell I love oils? :phone:

my hair doesn't like oils, they make my hair crunchy, but i can use a water based moisturizer or a leave that contain oils without any problems

Dymondz7

It wasn't until I applied Qhemet products on my hair followed up with castro oil on my freshly conditioned washed dripping wet hair that I found a regimen that works for me. My hair thrives on this combination. I also like unrefined coconut oil on my dry hair and sometimes WGHO. It's the first time I've never had a problem with dryness after drying my hair.

With this discovery I have no doubts that I'll make my hair goal of APL by summer :grin: I'll post pictures once I slow down and load them.

Divine Inspiration

My hair loves oil but only on wet hair. I also add EVOO/Aceite 3 oil to my deep conditioners. For post washing, I'll use coconut oil or jojoba oil. These do a great job of sealing my hair and imparting shine.

tenderheaded

My hair LOVES some oil:) My first light oil was Surge Lotion Motion #9. It has a lot of great ingredients and it penetrated my hair. My next great oil was emu - it penetrates beautifully but is too expensive.
I currently use Vatika oil on my scalp. I alternate with my coconut oil/tea tree oil mixture.
I use amla oil in my pre poos and henna mixes. I mix jasmine oil and Africa's Best Herbal oil together and baggy my whole head every other night. I was amazed at how well it penetrated my hair and left it feeling soft:eek: I have 38 oz of oil I use to death and I only paid $10!!!

mw138

My hair is absolutely in love with jojoba oil and coconut oil. Like many others, but my hair has always been dry, but since I've started using the oils, as well as begun and great regimine thanks to all of the tips from other LHCF members, my hair is soft and moisturized. I was initially afraid that my hair would be greasy with the addition of oil, but my hair drinks it in!

Usually I'll put a little coconut oil on my hair at night before I put on my bonnet. In the morning I'll mix a little jojoba oil with Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter. Ever since I started doing this, my hair is not only softer and much more moisturized, but the shine is wonderful! I don't use too much of either oil, a little goes a long way!

adw425

Re: Does your hair hate oils? Does your hair love oils? Reviews from both sides neede

My wet hair loves oil. I wet my hair pretty much every evening and saturate it with oil and seal it with butter or QB heavy cream or Nature's Blessings pomade and it all absorbs by morning and my hair is very soft and moisturized. It loves castor, jojoba, meadowfoam, almond, shea, rice bran, olive, sunflower, coconut oils and any mixture or combo thereof. My dry hair can take a tiny bit of oil for sheen/shine and that is it. Oil on my dry hair dries it out to almost straw consistency. I tried an overnight oiling last weekend oiling up my dry hair kind of as a pre-poo and it was just awful in the morning although I was just going to wash it anyway.

Last edited:

Soul♥Flower

Re: Does your hair hate oils? Does your hair love oils? Reviews from both sides neede

the oil in my siggy is what brought my hair back to life. I used it after I washed my hair on wet hair and on dry hair. It's the only thing I need really (but I'm such a product addict), it stopped my breakage, and even left my naked product free hair shining. I heart oil.:p

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
My hair loves oils, even when used alone but I choose to use them as sealants. I'm really loving coconut oil because it's so light and dosent weigh my hair down, and it gives me that bling bling shine.

CoCoGirl821

tenderheaded said:
My hair LOVES some oil:) My first light oil was Surge Lotion Motion #9. It has a lot of great ingredients and it penetrated my hair. My next great oil was emu - it penetrates beautifully but is too expensive.
I currently use Vatika oil on my scalp. I alternate with my coconut oil/tea tree oil mixture.
I use amla oil in my pre poos and henna mixes. I mix jasmine oil and Africa's Best Herbal oil together and baggy my whole head every other night. I was amazed at how well it penetrated my hair and left it feeling soft:eek: I have 38 oz of oil I use to death and I only paid $10!!!

EMU oil is great. I used to use it when my hair was natural, but it is not easy to find; I purchased it online. My scalp loves oil though! My scalp is kinda on the dry side, oiling my scalp has helped with the dryness. Not sure about the whole sealing process. I have been experimenting with pre-pooing with EVOO and some other products, and its has been working wonderfully. I would like to try coconut oil but not sure where to purchase it.

Sha76

my hair hates hot oil treatments. But I use jojoba oil as a sealant.

hot oil treatments makes it all crunchy feeling and dry.

Sha76

my hair hates hot oil treatments. But I use jojoba oil as a sealant.

hot oil treatments makes it all crunchy feeling and dry.