Combing while post relaxer?

JenBenCal

Hey ladies!!! I've just got a quick question. I'd post a poll, but I tried once and failed miserably :drunk:. So, my question is: how many weeks post are you before you decide not to comb anymore and just finger comb? I am currently 5 wks post (not bad at all right now), but I know there will come a time during my 18 week (hopefully) stretch when combing is going to be my enemy. I just wanted to know around which time you ladies stop for yourself and is there a general rule of thumb wherein it just gets crazy for almost ANY relaxed ladies to comb? TIA! :yep:

MummysGirl

When I have about half an inch to an inch of new growth, I stop combing my hair dry.

I finger comb while rinsing out my conditioner then I apply my leave in to my damp hair and detangle with my wide tooth comb... HTH! I cowash 4 times a week so my hair doesn't have enough time to get tangled.

Good luck with your 18 week stretch :)

JenBenCal

MummysGirl--Thanks! I have been lazy and don't know how much new growth I have. I really should go ahead and measure, but I'm assuming it's the normal 0.5 in lol. That's a good idea though! :yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am Entering my 15 Week of a 16 Week Stretch. By Week 9-11, I only Comb on Wash Day.:look:

The rest of the time, I am finger de-tangling to keep knots & tangles under control and most importantly Keeping NG Well Moisturized.

From time to time I May lightly brush over my hair with my Boar Bristle Brush.

SherylsTresses

I only comb when I roller-wrap up until I'm 6 weeks post. For the most part, I don't comb my dry hair at all. However I always finger position, not really finger comb. HTH :rolleyes:

knt1229

I am in transition, 34 weeks post, and comb once a day. My hair is soft and manageable. Is there a reason why you ladies don't want to comb? If you aren't combing because of the coarseness of the hair then I have found that weekly deep conditioning, coconut and castor oil, shea butter, weekly hot oil pre-poos with coconut and castor, weekly co-washing and yogurt dc's keep the new growth soft and supple. Detangling combs, wide tooth combs, and denman brushes work like a charm.

I also do a mild protein dc for chemically treated hair weekly immediately followed by a moisturizing dc. Protein dc's are very beneficial to the relaxed part of the hair but I think it helps my new growth too.