Comb or brush?

livesoundtech

One of my friends who enjoys doing hair asked if he could put twists in my hair today. I let him, of course. He commented on how my hair was very tangled, and also said he was surprised that he didn't need to tie the ends because the twists stayed together perfectly. (My hair was tangled because I just washed it, put a leave in, and ran to class.)

Then, my OTHER friend asks me how I detangle my hair. I told him that I used to hack at it with a brush, but now I've been using a wide-toothed comb to detangle and a brush only to smooth out my hair. He immediately insisted that I should use a brush to detangle and a fine comb afterwards. He has pretty long dreads, so I asked him jokingly if he can even remember the last time he brushed his hair. He still insisted that before he got his dreads, he used a brush to detangle, and he promised that wide-toothed combs were useless.

His advice was to wash my hair, use "a lot" of conditioner, and then use a brush to detangle. Is this a good idea? Yes, I've always been able to rip knots out with my brush... but I thought a wide-toothed comb was a better, less-damaging way to detangle hair.

you know what you have been doing to get your hair to the length that it is now, don't let some bad information from a well meaning friend give you a set back. wide tooth combs work to detangle while minimizing the amount of hair that gets ripped out. brushing hair while its wet is a really bad idea b/c that is when your hair is at its weakest point

I only use a brush; my hair stylist told me to use a paddle brush. I was unsure at first but I don't get the ripping, tangles, the knots and what not that I was getting from a comb. And yeah I was using tons of the condish and combing ends to roots. I even tried different combs. It was a no-go for me. I think some people do better with a brush.

I used a wood paddle brush but Denman brush works fine too.

I have always used a wide tooth comb and then follow with a fine tooth comb. I have very little hair shed.

Honestly, I've never asked a stylist so I'm not sure what is the right way to go.

But aren't a lot of people on this very board using the Denman brush on wet hair? I want to try this brush but I'm afraid it will rip my hair out. The Jilbere shower comb works VERY well without taking loads of hair out.

Back