Color from using cassia.

mkd

Has anyone who regularly uses cassia noticed their hair changing colors? My hair is turning red from using cassia. I chose cassia instead of henna because it is not supposed to add the color. My natural hair is brown with some sandier brown tones. The sandy hair is picking up a lot of red. If I am going to get color anyway, maybe I should just go with henna.

Doesn't it just highlight what you already have? Like bringing out the sandier tones? I think that's what it is doing. I could be wrong. I believe henna adds color that is not already there.

ETA--That's why I'm using cassia. I've only used it once so far. I feel like my hair has gotten darker using these powders 3x/week. I was hoping that cassia would bring back my reddish brown hair.

Yes, I think you are right. It seems to be highlighting hair that is already kind of sandy. I have done it 3 times so far and it seems to be getting more and more red.

Did you notice any color change when you used it?

Last edited:
Yes, I think you are right. It seems to be highlighting hair that is already kind of sandy. I have done it 3 times so far and it seems to be getting more and more red.

Did you notice any color change when you used it?

The first day I didn't but a couple of days later I started noticing my ends were a little redder. Not a tremendous change but I figure it is a cumulative process. I am so happy you started this thread because that means I should continue with this no matter how messy it is :wallbash:. Do you use hibiscus powder at all? I hear that makes your hair a bit red too. I didn't notice it so much with my hair. I use it as part of a tea rinse mix 1x/wk.

The first day I didn't but a couple of days later I started noticing my ends were a little redder. Not a tremendous change but I figure it is a cumulative process. I am so happy you started this thread because that means I should continue with this no matter how messy it is :wallbash:. Do you use hibiscus powder at all? I hear that makes your hair a bit red too. I didn't notice it so much with my hair. I use it as part of a tea rinse mix 1x/wk.
No, I didn't use the hibiscus powder. Just the cassia, water and a little olive oil. Keep with it if you want to lighten your hair. My hair considerably lighter after just three uses. I think I want to darken it a bit. You mentioned tea rinses darkening yours. Do you mind sharing what you used?

Here are my mixes:

Conditioning--brahmi, maka, amla, hibiscus
Strengthening--kalpi tone and fenugreek
Cleansing--shikakai, neem, amla

I use each 1x/wk. I think it is the amla that has the darkening properties. I also use amla oil. I'm no expert but I say go into the 6 Month Ayurveda Challenge or the Ayurveda Support Thread and they can definitely answer your questions. Ask them about the cassia and which powders are known to darken your hair.

Back