Henna color release

Blu217

I read that if you mix up the henna and use it right away, the color won't release but you'll be able to reap the full benefit of henna. Is this true? I LOVE my natural color (kinda sandy, kinda auburn) and the last thing I need is to go red and I don't want to go dark or brown. I'd also rather use henna than cassia, since I've heard henna is better by a country mile.

So can I just mix it up and slap it on and get the henna effect without it coloring my hair? Or do I need to use cassia instead?

carameldiva

In that case you may wanna use Cassia Obovata instead of henna so you don't have color release but you still get the conditioning/strengthening properties.

AKA-Tude

I read (somewhere on here) that you can still use the henna just don't wait for the color to be released. Mix it , apply it, let it penetrate, then rinse.

douglala

Do a strand test first. Just in case..............you never know............
After the strand test hold the hair up to the light to be sure.

thesweetone

That was my goal too when I first started using henna - conditioning and no color. Didn't happen! Just last night my fiance and I were laughing at my red hair! Don't get me wrong, we both love the color, it's just I was so sure that if I mixed my henna and used it right away, I would get no color change. Hah! By the time I've finished my application, my gloves are already turning red so my hair must be as well. I think the color is beautiful and my hair is still pretty dark, just whenever the light hits it, man those red undertones light up!

Just wanted to let you know that mixing henna and using right away does not guarantee no color deposit. Basically, the minute you add liquid to henna, the color begins to release. If you absolutely do not want any color, please use cassia instead.

LaNecia

thesweetone said:
That was my goal too when I first started using henna - conditioning and no color. Didn't happen! Just last night my fiance and I were laughing at my red hair! Don't get me wrong, we both love the color, it's just I was so sure that if I mixed my henna and used it right away, I would get no color change. Hah! By the time I've finished my application, my gloves are already turning red so my hair must be as well. I think the color is beautiful and my hair is still pretty dark, just whenever the light hits it, man those red undertones light up!

Just wanted to let you know that mixing henna and using right away does not guarantee no color deposit. Basically, the minute you add liquid to henna, the color begins to release. If you absolutely do not want any color, please use cassia instead.

Good advice!! The more color release the more color potential, however, immediate use isn't a guarantee for NO COLOR DEPOSITING!

LaNecia

I've read (but not personally tried yet) that Lotus Powder is supposed to give great conditioning results without coloring the hair. I've not used it because it's a bit hard to find online.

If you look up Leia's journal, she uses it, that's where I first learned of henna for hair.

ThursdayGirl

I wouldn't mix it up and hope for no dye release, because you could still get it.

Even with Cassia (depending upon what else is in there) you can get a yellow/gold deposit. Unless you have blonde hair you probably won't see it though.

What you can try-I don't know if it will work- is to let the dye sit out for a long time 24hours or so. It will will lose its ability to color your hair, what I don't know, is if you can still reap the conditioning benefits.

LaNecia

Hey ThursdayGirl....I'm not sure that will work either, last time I did a treatment, I left it out for a day and half cause I was too lazy to deal with it...with NO terping agents added, I got a nice color deposit....:cool:

Mizani_Mrs

Well why don't u do a henna glaze...i doubt that it would release noticeable color. For instance just mix your henna with your conditioner. Like maybe 80% conditioner and 20% henna. then the color will barely release. (Tip: don't pour the powdered henna in your conditioner...u have to mix the henna with a few tbls of boiling water, then mix that in your conditioner!)

AtlantaJJ

M J said:
I read (somewhere on here) that you can still use the henna just don't wait for the color to be released. Mix it , apply it, let it penetrate, then rinse.

Be sure to do that strand test... you never know and you will be a RED head if the color does release. I don't mind because my hair is a natural 1B so the color doesn't really show up unless I'm in the sun and then it looks like the Cellopanes I used to get back in the day! I love that.

If I were a sandy brown person...I'd shy away from henna...because it will change your hair color!

Blu217

My hair is a deep sandy; you can't see the color in my pic, but it really shows when I wear black; people comment on the color a lot. Any henna deposited on my hair would definitely turn me red or burgundy.

Henna is a permanent color, correct? It does not fade out with repeated washings like a cellophane or semi-permanent color?