Any freshy college or soon to be college students?

Innocent_Kiss

I still have one more year -- THANK GOD -- but was it hard maintaining your hair regimen as a freshmen in college? With additional responsbilites, busy schedules, and long study hours was hair the last thing on your mind? If you managed to keep healthy locs in a new phase of life please share your stories/tips/etc ..
wink.gif

Im a senior in college...and I went from having almost shoulder length extra thick hair when i arrived to maybe 3 inches all around...in 2 months!!! Hard water, busy schedule, general lack of knowledge and everyday heat...all bad....not really a success story, but a dont make my mistake story!

Hey, I'm a senior too, and the same thing that happened to CheerBear happened to me. I went from a little past shoulder length to nape length in about a semester. I wasn't using that much heat tho. The person to blame was my SHS. She would cut about 2 inches off every time I saw her, and once when I told her to only trim a quarter of an inch, she said not to tell her how to cut hair!!!

my first semester of college (before i found this site)i pretty much did nothing with/to my hair, not even moisturizing it. i didnt know how to wash it cause i was use to going to the salon so i went a realllyyyy long time w/o washing. but in the end i had alot of progress. after the semester was over i had 2 inches worth of new growth, went back home and got relaxed. so the best ting for me was leaving it alone.

[ QUOTE ]
Keisha_gurl said:
Hey, I'm a senior too, and the same thing that happened to CheerBear happened to me. I went from a little past shoulder length to nape length in about a semester. I wasn't using that much heat tho. The person to blame was my SHS. She would cut about 2 inches off every time I saw her, and once when I told her to only trim a quarter of an inch, she said not to tell her how to cut hair!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
you should have ran!

This will be my 1st year, am scared
crazy.gif
So I dont know what will happen, I do know I try to keep it simple. I will be living at home atleast for now

Re: Any freshy college or soon to be college stude

This August will be my second year in college and I really didn’t have the time to take proper care of my hair. I opted for the easy way out, braids. Although they have helped in retaining growth, I want to wear my hair down now and start taking care of it. Now that I’ve read numerous posts from the LHCF ladies I have now incorporated taking better care of my hair into my schedule. It’s been about a 2 months since I have started to take better care of my hair and believe me it’s worth it. Whenever you have time in between your schedule, like when you’re watching TV just think about your hair and remember that you could be using that time to do something productive with it! HTH…

I'm long done with college, but my advice is to keep distilled water on hand for final rinses. The overly chlorinated, hard water in my residence hall murdered EVERYONE's hair.

ill be startin so im tryin to grow it out long and strong by then ill be livin on campus but im really close to home my mom will probaly end up doinin it im excited and will still be commitied to takin good care of my hair even while in school.

Well I'm starting my first year in law school this August, and I don't want what happened to me in college where my hair went from being healthy bra strap length to thin, and unevened my Junior year. Which gave me no choice but to cut it to chin length at the end of my Senior year. That was hard b/c I wanted to hold onto the length but it didnt look healthy. It's growing back though b/c I went from chin length my last semester Sprin 2003 to 2" past shoulder summer 2004.
So, this time around I'm armed with the priceless knowledge from you ladies and I'm doing to crown and glory technique. Which so far has proved to be the best hair decision I've ever made. Since i'm in braids it only takes about 2 minutes in the morning for me to saturate my hair with Infusium 23, Surge and BRX braid spray (in that order). So its a time saver.

One of the other reasons why I went natural. I go to an all white school where black salons and PRODUCTS are non existant. So with my hair being natural, this will be a piece of cake at school
smile.gif

I'm temporarily transitioning right now, ayeshia. If I like it I might just stay natural. I know it'll be so much easier for me to take care of my hair as a college freshman. I'm glad I came into the knowledge of proper hair care and the LHCF before I left!

I just want to start off by saying it's so beautiful to see other black women going to college. I'm a senior in college also and the only true hair drama I had was spring '03 when I literally had a bald spot in the front of my head. The front left side of my head was terribly thin and in the back my hair on the left was an inch long while the right was down to my neck. This was from stress (more than healthy stress), constantly using direct heat, relaxing twice in a 4 week period between a home relaxer that probably wasn't rinsed out to well and a professional who blow dried my hair right out the sink. (Tooo devastating to think of.) Luckily I was able to cover it with the rest of my hair by wearing low ponytails to make sure my hair stayed in place.

Anyway, to answer your question, coming into my frosh year I was used to going to a stylist every two weeks or once a month. I knew a little about how to take care of my hair but I definately seen a change in the condition and length of my hair b/c of hard water and poor maintence. Like US said have a bottle of distilled water. Whenever I was scared of damage I would just cut it or have severe trims before anything could really happen. You can definately retain your length just by leaving it alone like Bree said. But if you're like I was, you'll want to show off that beautiful hair of yours by wearing it down. Just remember to throw in a protective style here and there, moisturize, and trim your ends on a regular basis. Like LMY said you could always be doing something on your down time. I found Sundays (my recovery day LOL) the best time to throw down the works. Lastly share the knowledge, if people look at you like
smirk.gif
when you tell them about CW just let your hair speak for itself. GOOD LUCK!

[ QUOTE ]
Prettyinpink00 said:
Bree what college do you attend???

[/ QUOTE ]

at that time i was at usf. now i'm at fau.

I'm about to start my sophomore year, and last year, I didn't exactly take good care of my hair. I started out with a little bit past bra strap, and now I'm about 2 inches away from that. I know, it's bad...I got a boyfriend in spring semester, so while tryin to be all cute, I'd sleep with my hair out all the time on COTTON pillowcases (BADBADBAD) and I was using greases with Petrolatum and such. I also stopped deep conditioning and putting it in rollers....So, now I have to grow it all back. I'm sad, but I'm looking forward to having my hair back....

By the way, bree your hair is GORGEOUS!!!! Beautiful!

CO-signing on the idea about distilled water for final rinses.

I'm going into my second year and you can find time. I'm pre-med and I run track so time was limited. I usually did my hair at night while watching TV and while studying. Many a hair style has been created while studying

yall got me scared now....... HARD water? .. anyone know if this is true for the colleges in atlanta as well?

My hair broke off really badly in 1st yr.I was forced to get a 3-4 inch cut.I go to school in Canada and was not used to taking care of my hair in the winter.
I wish I had known about hairboards then.

no it wasn't. i lived on campus and had all my classes on tuesday and thursday so i had plenty of time to do my hair, but one quarter i did have class everyday and I jus kept it up in cornrows so i wouldn't have to worry about it. My hair grew A LOT!!!! Mostly because I left it alone and maybe let it get wet in the shower every other day. People make it seem like you will have time for NOTHING in college. Yea right! I schedule 5 classes all on tuesday and thursdays, i studied, partied like CRAZY, and still came out with a 3.7. DEAN'S LIST BABY!!! not to forget a few inches of hair.

I just finished my first year but I actually found this board the summer before I went into my freshman year so I knew how to take care of my hair. It was hard first semester because I had the time to do protective styles and conditioner washes but I didnt want to because being cute in the yard was my first priority lol...Second semester rolled around and I just figured everybody had seen me cute so i started wearing protective styles more and more and jazzing them up with a cute pair or earrings or a cute outfit and now I prefer them. My hair has grown a LOT using tips from the board and now that summers rolled around and NOBODY is trying to fool with straight hair in all this heat, I have all my friends rockin braid outs and wash and go poofs
laugh.gif

Ah man, I lived on campus last year and it was great as far as my hair was concerned. I could to CO washes before class or not, it was just too much fun.
grin.gif
I could freshen up my wet-n-wavy 'do before and after classes. That was the life.
love.gif

Im a junior in college right now and I didnt have a hair regime until I joined this forum in April (second semester sophomore). Now that its the summer time, I have been paying more attention to my hair (even though I still have classes this summer too). It is kinda hard to keep my regime in tact because sometimes I wanna skip some of the things that I want to do to my hair (like protein treatments, putting my hair up at night, being gentle with my hair, and even washing my hair). I either feel too tired or dont have time. But Im going to make better decisions as I learn more and more from this forum.

Im a second time college student(went off and on and then off for a WHILE before figuring everything out) and am starting nursing school in September. I know I wont have as much time to dedicate to my hair as I do now, so I probably wont wash as frequently(currently up to 3 times a week-1 poo and 3 co washes). My fallback will be my instant weave or a ponytail piece if it starts looking too out of control. Ill do the works one day a week and I can always study under the dryer!

Ill still moisturize daily but will probably rock either braid outs or buns. Im like Texascountrygirl, I used to be worried about being cute and thought I looked rough in a bun, but now Im actually starting to like this stlye and have been wearing it more often than not!

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
no it wasn't. i lived on campus and had all my classes on tuesday and thursday so i had plenty of time to do my hair, but one quarter i did have class everyday and I jus kept it up in cornrows so i wouldn't have to worry about it. My hair grew A LOT!!!! Mostly because I left it alone and maybe let it get wet in the shower every other day. People make it seem like you will have time for NOTHING in college. Yea right! I schedule 5 classes all on tuesday and thursdays, i studied, partied like CRAZY, and still came out with a 3.7. DEAN'S LIST BABY!!! not to forget a few inches of hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was your major? and
What school did you attend?

My fresh year I had to get a haircut because like Katie my hair could not handle the stark cold and I had bleached highlights that snapped...and I ran into a Scissor Happy Stylist(All you Philly folks never go to Chaos)

I didn't know about this board- but I found a pretty good stylist and the only set back I had was when she had to go away for a semester and some guy tore my hair up because he did not know what he was doing.

Don't use too much heat trying to be cute for trifling campus boys... and remember to moiturize!

I graduated from college last May and I must say it was rough!!! MY freshman year of college, I had beautiful almost bra-strap length hair. When I went to college I moved away from my stylist and away from anywhere that sold good hair products. I was stuck and my hair broke TERRIBLY!! I had to suffer, I had no clue how to take care of my own hair. My advice would be: Be GLAD you found the forum and all the wonderful tips, youll need them!

i'll be a sophomore in the fall
smile.gif
... to me it wasn't hard for me to maintain my regime .. infact it was just like I was at home ..i actually developed a real regimen in college.. my friend tells me i spent to much time maintaing my hair that i forgot about my work but hey i did it !!!

Back