Coconut Milk = Mositure - Curlies

Naturelle

I see that there are a few women on here who use coconut milk as part of a wash reggie. I was under the impression that coconut milk can mildly "relax" the hair? If that is the case then...

1. How does it maintain moisture? Wouldn't the lactaid (acid) in the milk draw it out?
2. Does it remove curlies or ringlets, or does/can it help restore or maintain them?

Im on a quest to restore and maintain the curls in my hair. I want to try coconut milk but I don't know if it would be counter-productive to do so. Science experts and layman's, weigh in!

Last edited:

naturalpride

I did a coconut milk deep treatment overnight about 2.5 weeks ago and my hair felt lovely after I shampooed and conditioned in the morning. I would definitely recommend coconut milk.

Last edited:

Natural Glow

I see that there are a few women on here who use coconut milk as part of a wash reggie. I was under the impression that coconut milk can mildly "relax" the hair? It that is the case then...

1. How does it maintain mositure? Wouldn't the lactaid (acid) in the milk draw it out?
2. Does it remove curlies or ringlets, or does/can it help restore or maintain them?
Im on a quest to restore and maintain the curls in my hair. I want to try coconut milk but I don't know if it would be counterproductive to do so. Science experts and layman's, weigh in!

1. I have no clue sorry.:lachen:
I used coconut milk like 2 weeks ago and it didn't relax my curls any. My hair was very soft and smooth. I think when mixed with lime juice it is supposed to relax.

I like using coconut milk but I don't like the smell too much and I'm never really sure how to store it once open since I cant use the whole can.

Naturelle

Ok so with caution I will give coconut milk a try.

Anyone have any recipes? Do I or should I add anything to it?

How do you use it - wash, co-wash, dc etc.?

Nola Darling

I rather coconut oil over milk. The milk is just too messy and it smells.

I put the oil in my hair with my conditioner and my hair comes out SUPER moist.

Naturelle

:wallbash: Duh! Naturelle! I forgot that milk in itself is a protein, thus making coconut milk a protein also. This may be a no no for now since I'm trying to eliminate protein (except for mega tek------GO MT!) from my hair diet.

lexi84

I've heard of it lightly relaxing the hair a bit too, but I dont know how, why, or even if its true at all.

But I can say I used coconut milk as part of my prepoos for a few months and my hair ALWAYS felt devine.:grin:

I used good ol fashion Goya coconut milk (in the can). I heated it up a bit each time before I put it in my hair.:grin: