Co-Washing B4 a Relaxer??

Vintageglam

Can some one please start a thread on Relaxer do's and don'ts please. From the threads today there is clearly a need for it. These threads today show why there is hair loss from chemical processes among black women at such epic levels. I feel a "sticky" on chemical usage would allow people to read the basics and prevent unnecessary injury.

As a non-relaxer I do not feel privileged to do it.

theLovelyStyle

I'm wondering what the need is for cowashing before a relaxer?

Well my stretch is over am I am ready for a relaxer. Last week I tried out my new flat iron (I couldnt wait) and wore my hair straight for a about 5 days. I'm in dire need for a DC but I really dont wanna wait another few days after a DC and the whole detangling process in prep for another relaxer. I guess Im just being impatient, Ill DC, wait, detangle, and relax.

Americka

I've never co-washed prior to a relaxer. I always clarify my hair on the last wash prior to a relaxer. It is not recommended to wash or co-wash that close to a relaxer date. To do so "could" lead to scalp burns during the relaxer process. HTH!

theLovelyStyle

I've never co-washed prior to a relaxer. I always clarify my hair on the last wash prior to a relaxer. It is not recommended to wash or co-wash that close to a relaxer date. To do so "could" lead to scalp burns during the relaxer process. HTH!

I figured as much. I guess I'm being impatient lol.

Jade Feria

Um....no. The reason why you shouldn't wash before a relaxer, is the same reason why you shouldn't co-WASH before a relaxer.

supermodelsonya

Not to be funny, but Neosporin works great on scalp burns.

Learned that the hard way five years ago.

Do not wet your hair before a relaxer.....period.

theLovelyStyle

Um....no. The reason why you shouldn't wash before a relaxer, is the same reason why you shouldn't co-WASH before a relaxer.

I was under the impression that the reason we shouldn't wash near the relax date was because shampoo strips the hair of natural oils and "protectants" from chemical burns. However, I since my dc restores moisture and oils to my hair I thought maybe it wouldn't be as detrimental.

theLovelyStyle

But, I guess water does opens the pores as well which would leave your scalp vulnerable to irratation during the chemical process. Like I said, I'm just being impatient (looking for hope in all the wrong places). Thanks to those of you for the help and reassurance w/out the sarcasm.

Jade Feria

But, I guess water does opens the pores as well which would leave your scalp vulnerable to irratation during the chemical process. Like I said, I'm just being impatient (looking for hope in all the wrong places). Thanks to those of you for the help and reassurance w/out the sarcasm.
There you go! HHJ, and good job coming to the board with your question (no matter what the rest of us may think of it) before trying it out yourself.

Junebug D

Don't feel bad. Many moons ago I actually did it... with shampoo. :look: I sure wish I had asked somebody first. :giggle:

LushLox

Not to worry - it's all about learning. At least you asked first rather than regretting it later. :yep:

To be a total devil's advocate though I know dlewis either washes or co-washes her hair the day before her relaxer so clearly some can do it and can tolerate it, but it's still not something that I would take a risk on personally.

sharifeh

^^^Ya there are people on this board that do it with no repercussions but that doesn't seem to be the norm...
I know how it feels to be impatient to relax but you need to wash your hair....it's like a trade off- always better to wait I guess.