Co-Washers, CHECK IN PLEASE!!!

MizaniMami

Hey ladies,

I have been thinking about adding co-washing to my routine atleast once or twice per week. I am curious about cowashing and I know a few other ladies in this board are. So answers these questions if you can. Some of them may be super redundant but hey, help a sista(s) out!:lol:

How often do you co wash?

Are you relaxed or natural?

What do you co-wash with (products please)?

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing?

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash?

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have?

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash?

(**Disclaimer, co washing is conditioner washing, which means to wash your hair with conditioner using the friction to help cleanse the scalp and hair strands, said to be highly moisturizing)

silvergirl

How often do you co wash? twice a week

Are you relaxed or natural? transitioning

What do you co-wash with (products please)? usually paul mitchell or matrix conditioners. sometimes lekairs

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? usually no, if i want a super smooth look id add a leavein(pantenes leavein conditioner and detangler)

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? no

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? hair seems to look smoother, softer.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? its all individual, however if anyones looking for smoother, silkier, softer hair id say try it.

senimoni

2x a week usually. At least once.

Relaxed

Lately, Tressemme, but I have used V05

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing?

I'm not big on DC'g, too much in and out of the shower, but I prepoo with a DC as a replacement later in the same day that I cw b/c my hair is still clean. I usually use a heavier con after the cw. Out of the shower its the same as shampooing, I use leave-ins.

Not always, I can see a difference when I don't do it for a long time.

I cw b/c I don't like to comb my hair dry , only in the shower or when air drying, so it allows me to re-do my hair. Its less drying than shampoo...which I don't use often, maybe 3x a month...more if my scalp/dermatitis is flared up. Also my hair gets dry even with moisturizers, I think it starts to just build up.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? I'd just say experiment, I used to hate cw's but tried it again and I like it.

jasmine26

once a week, or after a workout

natural

I like suave citrus smoothie

i don't dc after a co=wash, i usually do that on my poo days. i usually put in a leave-in conditioner, than a leave-in moisturizer.

no

I cw b/c i like how my hair feels afterward. co-washes refresh and rejuvenates my hair. my hair has also become more defined and soft since i've incoporated co-washes into my regimen.

yes, it's worth a shot to experiment with co-washes. You definitely need to find the right conditioner or you can end up with very dry hair afterwards.

Lotus

USUALLY EVERY OTHER DAY, 3RD DAY MAX

RELAXED

ELUCENCE

LEAVE IN (ELUCENCE) + COCONUT OIL

NO

LESS BREAKAGE, HAIR MORE MOISTURIZED

YEP. UNLESS THEY W/BLOWDRY OR INCREASE USE OF HEAT APPLIANCES.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I cowash daily.

Texturized.

I use a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner (Pantene, Dove or Garnier Fructis followed by a moisturizing Vo5 conditioner or White Rain conditioner.

I add some Suave conditioner because it's very light, sometimes also use a liquid leave-in followed by a moisturizer, gel then serum or oil.

No.

I cowash because I wash and go daily or pull back my hair in a pony tail so instead of combing, the water helps me to pull
back my hair in a ponytail without the use of a comb. Cowashing also helps me to achieve curl definition and keeps my hair smooth and soft.

When I first started co washing, my hair was looking very dull and dry. My scalp also began to itch so I decided to use a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner first followed by a cheapie conditioner and so far no more itchy scalp and dull hair. I think it all depends on what your hair and scalp like and also your schedule. Cowashing can be both good and bad.

Synthia

MizaniMami said:
Hey ladies,

I have been thinking about adding co-washing to my routine atleast once or twice per week. I am curious about cowashing and I know a few other ladies in this board are. So answers these questions if you can. Some of them may be super redundant but hey, help a sista(s) out!:lol:

(**Disclaimer, co washing is conditioner washing, which means to wash your hair with conditioner using the friction to help cleanse the scalp and hair strands, said to be highly moisturizing)
I CO daily in the mornings before work.
I'm relaxed and I alternate products daily to make sure I'm getting moisture and protein, plus that my hair doesn't grow too accustomed: Humectress, Kenra MC, Nutri-ox conditioner, Aphogee 3 minute reconstructor, Robert Craig Conditioner, MegaTek, Premier Cream Rinse, Ion Extreme moisture, and Nutri-ox reconstructor.

My favorites are Nutri-ox and Humectress.

Do I DC or apply leave-ins after? Well, my condition wash on 2 to 3 days a week are deep conditioners. I apply the conditioner on dry hair when I wake up, put on my heat cap for 10 minutes or so while on the computer. Then I rinse it out. On days when I do quick CW's in the shower for 2 to 3 minutes, I don't DC after. That's it.

As for leave-ins... if it's a special day and I've deep conditioned, I may not use anything so I can have lots of body. But most days I'm afriad to do this. Still, I go light. I always apply Nutri-ox treatment (a gel/serum) as my final product to scalp and hair. It seals my hair, conditions it, and promotes a healthy scalp. It is the one product that I don't live without although I don't think I've seen it talked about much here.

After the shower I air dry with nothing because I need to dry my hair fast. When it's 60 percent dry, I apply a dab of creme leavein to my hands, rub and spread that throughout the hair (it may be Ion Extreme Moisture which I love or if I think I need more protein, MegaTek. Humectress is also good for me and is not as heavy as Ion).

As my drying nears completion I might do a light spritz to help my comb through and get ready to Caruso set. I use Robert Craig leave-in conditioner or Premier Rehydrant spray in very small amounts. This dries very fast. Then it's time for the Nutrio-ox serum and my Caruso rollers.

If my ends & middle sections are dry, I curl my hair, I don't wait for the roots to dry. I sling it during the hour to shake water out and that works enough so that I can curl it.

Sometimes I might have to sit in front of a fan to dry ...yeah I know that can get me a cold, but I do it a lot, even in winter.

sunshyne_krissy

How often do you co wash? 1x - 2x's a week depending on how dry my hair is.

Are you relaxed or natural? Transitioning to natural (not even half way there..lol)

What do you co-wash with (products please)? VO5 Passion Fruit Moisture Milk Conditioner/Pantene Relaxed and Natural Conditioner/mix it with some EVOO for right now. I am in the process of concocting an all natural co-washing product with mango butter and emu oil. It's coming along nicely.

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? After I co-wash I add infusium 23 leave-in and Braid Spray to my hair cuz I'm in braids right now as part of the C&G Technique

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? I guess so.. I spread the co-wash mix on my braids and let it sit for 5-10 min before i get in the shower to officially co-wash.

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? Because my hair loves the moisture it provides..My hair has significantly grown faster with incorporating co-washing in my regimen then the last time i had braids about a year ago and i didnt co-wash. The new growth is MUCH thicker and softer.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? Absolutly. I didnt know about it until i came to this forum

sweetascocoa

How often do you co wash? daily

Are you relaxed or natural? natural

What do you co-wash with (products please)? V05 conditioners then i follow with kenra MC or paul mitchell the detangler

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? i add leave in, mousse and seal with homemade grease

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? for daily moisture and to detangle

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? everyone ....cept if it dont work for you

amorette

4-7 days a week

natural
Depends, sometimes I use good products like nioxin scalp treatment or cheapie products like finesse moisturizing which makes my hair really silky and soft, and my boyfreind likes the way it smells.
I put nioxin follicle booster on my edges and scalp and massage in, then after a few minutes my sulfur/castor oil mixture on my scalp and massage in, and then my nioxin leave in conditioner on the hair strands, and follow that up with a tiny bit of castor oil to seal in everything. then i let it airdry and brush back into a ponytail or bun.

no

I work out really intensely every day, and so when i am in the shower i like to do a co wash most of those days, it allows me to comb through my hair really easily
sure but just rinse well. I had breakage in the past from leaving conditioner that is not a leave in in my hair for too long...

Arcadian

around twice a week, though I also rinse my hair after heavy workouts (I guess that dosen't really count?)

I step it up in the summer to at least 3 days a week.

Relaxed

Nexxus Ensure and Giovanni Magnetic Restructuring Conditioner

After I cowash I style my hair as usual. For me that means using a little carefree curl gold, some Elasta QP Mango butter, and oils to seal.

I do the same after a deep condition (though i don't use the same for a deep condition as I do a co-wash

Not always, I can see a difference when I don't do it for a long time.

I usually cowash about 3 weeks out fro a relaxer ( when i start getting new growth). Results for me is pretty good. I have better hair retention and a whole heck of a lot less tangles by going this route. Even more so in the summer because my hair grows like crazy during the summer months.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? I would tell them to try it out and see if it works for them.

-A

dlewis

How often do you co wash? almost daily

Are you relaxed or natural? texurized

What do you co-wash with (products please)? aveda and sauve

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? apply oil and up in a bun it goes

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? most times NO

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? I have been co-wash for about 15 years now, I find that my hair looks better and is in better condition, and the no. 1 reason it's easy (3 min at the most to do my hair)

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? No, If asked I tell what I do to my hair, and folks can decide what to do with theirs. I tried co-wash on my daughters hair and it did not do well at all.

taraglam2

How often do you co wash? I co-wash every day

Are you relaxed or natural? I am relaxed

What do you co-wash with (products please)? TreSemme Anti-Breakage Conditioner, TreSemme Vitamin E Moisture Rich Conditioner, Biosilk Hydrating Conditioner---when I first started conditioner washing in December I used various V05 Conditioners

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? I add a leave-in, African Pride Daily Doctor, NTM Silk Touch Leave-in or Giovanni Direct

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? No

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? I co-wash my hair daily because my hair loves the added moisture and my hair seems to thrive better.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? Most definitely yes !

Sweet_Ambrosia

2-3 times a week

Transitioning to Natural

VO5 & White Rain Conditioners

I use S-Curl as my leave-in and Coconut Oil to seal in the moisture

Sometimes

I CO Wash because it's beneficial to my hair, it makes my hair extra soft, moisturized and more manageable

Yes. Try it out, you may like it :)

Suri

I am in braids right now, but basically keep the same regimen
MizaniMami said:
How often do you co wash? Every 2-3 days

Are you relaxed or natural? Natural

What do you co-wash with (products please)? MNT, Jason's Biotin

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? DC with Tropical Milk's Protein Milk Conditioner, 10 en 1, or MNT Deep Conditioner. After DC I apply MTG and braids spray mix w/ oils sometimes straight up MTG.

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? Yes, I usually massage oil with Amla or Vatika, sometimes with MNT conditioner

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? I started co-washing at my transition. Moisture, hair retains moisture BETTER.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? Sure would. you can always clarify every so often OR use a clarifying condish.

filthyfresh

How often do you co wash? - Once a week.

Are you relaxed or natural? - Relaxed

What do you co-wash with (products please)? - Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Conditioner or NTM DDC

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? - I always use a leave-in after a CW.

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? -If my hair is really dry, I'll do a pre-poo treatment before I CW.

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? - I CW because my hair is extremely dry and it really thrives from the moisture it gets in a CW. My results are softer, shinier, more manageable hair. My ends stay moist and I've noticed less split ends.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? - Yes, if their hair was as dry as mines. Sometimes your scalp needs that extra little cleansing mid week. And a CW can definitely help you with that.

inthepink

How often do you co wash? - Every day or every other day if I'm lazy.

Are you relaxed or natural? - Natural

What do you co-wash with (products please)? - Elucence Moisture Balancing

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? - I apply Abba Nourishing all over and Elucence Barrier Balm on my ends. Then I use CD Healthy Hair Butter to smooth my hair into an updo.

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? -No

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? - It keeps my hair moisturized.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? - Sure, it keeps your scalp clean which allows for growth, plus it's nice to have fresh hair more often. It also helps to keep my hair soft and moisturized.

Victorian

old head
daily; poo/deep con once per week

natural

Jason Biotin or Sea Kelp con

Giovanni Direct when the weather is harsher. These days I just apply a little oil to damp hair (coconut, jojoba, oil sheen, whatever I put my hand on first).

No.

My hair stays moisturized, it grows faster, my puff always looks best when my hair is freshly washed, plus I just like wetting my hair everyday :lol:

Yes. But keep in mind there are a million variables, and you may have to do a bit of experimenting to find what works best for you. I have fine, thin hair, so less is always more for me. I don't really "wash" my hair with conditioner, I just rinse thoroughly and then condition. Others prefer using a conditioner as a shampoo, rinsing, and then doing a separate conditioning step. For me, clean-rinsing cons that are pretty balanced as far as strength vs. moisture work best. For some, richer moisturizing cons yield the best results, while others prefer thinner cons like V05.

shellzfoshizzle

4 times a week

natural!!! :)

cheapie conditioners...suave...vo5

i don't deep condition as i should...heck, i never deep condition, i do apply a leave in...fantasia ic leave-in moisturizer hair and scalp treatment extra dry hair forumla

i'm not sure what pre-poo is (shampoo before you wash?). I only use shampoo about once a month.

I conditioner wash because it acutally works. At first I thoguht the idea was stupid.. and would leave buildup, but it makes a big diffference in my hair after I kept up with it. I only started doing it when I was transitioning, i didn't do a thing for my relaxed hair. I do it because my hair and scalp likes water. It makes my hair soft and I really have less breakage and my hair is sooo strong!

sure. try it and see if it works for you.

SilkyandSmooth

How often do you co wash? Twice a week, unless my hair is straightened.

Are you relaxed or natural? Texlaxed
What do you co-wash with (products please)? Any conditioner. I really don't have a preference.
After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? I deep condition once a week, usually on Sundays. I always use a leave-in.
Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? No.

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? I like washing my hair every few days and co-washing is gentler on my hair than shampooing is.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? Definitely.

Queenie

How often do you co wash? 2-3x/wk

Are you relaxed or natural? texturized

What do you co-wash with (products please)? Salon Care Honey & Almond cond.

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? Leave-in

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? Moisture, soft hair, clean hair & scalp

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? Sure

Deniece

Natural Beauty
How often do you co wash? 5-7x p/week

What do you co-wash with (products please)? VO5 cond., Jessicurl Too Shea

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? Leave-in, Elucence MB or Jessicurl Too Shea

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? Moisture, soft hair, less breakage, I like to wet my hair daily especially now that it is warming up

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? do what your hair likes.

BK Bombshell

How often do you co wash? Every other day

What do you co-wash with (products please)? Giovanni 50/50, Jason Sea Kelp, Aubrey Organics GPB or Honeysuckle Rose

After you co-wash do you add a leave-in or do you deep condition/what do you do after co-washing? Homemade MTG, Black castor oil, Giovanni Direct, Salerm 21, Humectress, S-Curl activator, Aubrey Sea Buckthorn

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash? No

Why do you co-wash and what results do you have? My hair is much more moisturized, softer and has better elasticity.

Would you advise anyone else to co-wash? Definitely! It's one of the best things I ever did for my hair. Thanks Ladies!

ArrrBeee

Everyday.

Natural

What do you co-wash with (products please)?V05 Champagne Kisses (or something like that), Herbal Essences Rainforest Red bottle (my favorite), Suave Healthy curls conditioner (green bottle)

I use a little of whatever conditioner I use for the CW. Just got some Jamaican lime leave in conditioner so now I use that. Too lazy to DC on a consistent basis.

Do you pre-poo before you co-wash?Nope.

I wear my hair in a curly style. If I don't CW everyday my curls get tighter and I don't like the way it looks. The results are great and my hair is the healthiest that it has ever been.

Yes, especially if they are natural or texturized. It makes the hair easier to work with.