Chucking the MSM-anyone with me?

Annakei

Im getting rid of the MSM from my regimen!! I have gotten so many pimples (the ones that are below the surface and hurt!!) since starting MSM and before that my skin was GREAT! Now my chin looks like a battle field with scars.. :(

This happen to anyone? WHo else stopped taking it? Anyone had this happen and found a way around it? Whenever I take my guggul pills that counteracts it but I dont take them regularly and I dont really drink water like I should...

bajanplums1

do you have any research? Maybe you should figure out if MSM is the cause, it is summer so it is hotter outside, more bacteria etc; it could also be hormonal.

I chucked the biotin that is what gave me horrible pimples all over my back , I realized it because once i stopped taking the biotin my skin was back to normal . Then I started using biotin conditioner and there they were again.
The MSM makes my period crazy...did this happen to you?

angelbaby

I had the exact same problem with MSM. My skin was just fine. When I got breakouts, it was usually due to my period. I love what it did for my hair, but I figure my hair will grow anyway. It's hard to get rid of dark spots.

Annakei

No my periods are just fine. I KNOW its the MSM because when I leave it alone for 2 days my skin is fine and those pimples go away even the ones that hurt.

I dont drink alot of water Carrie and I know that this is key but I feel like im always battling the pimples. For now I will just do the MTG and keep it at that until I up my water intake.

Last edited:

carrie

I had issues with MSM and pimples at first then they cleared up. I had to give up completely on the biotin.

I don't care if you ditch the MSM, Drink your water anyway!!!!!!!!! :whip:

esoterica

MSM causes the body to release toxins that have built up over the years. Since the skin is a major path of elimination, breakouts are a sign that it is working. it will settle down after a period of time.

I'm not suggesting that anyone keep taking it, just trying to explain the effects some of you may have seen.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
mkh_77 said:
What are guggul pills?

I was thinking the same thing mkh_77. :confused: How are you doing? :wave:

I drink plenty of water (at least 64 oz. per day). I don't take MSM anymore for hair growth simply becuase it didn't do anything for me. :nono: I only take them for when I workout too hard.

I stopped taking Biotin a long time ago becuase of the acne.

I just take Centrum, Flaxseed Oil, & Cutts II (GNC supplements). :clapping:

QUINN

asphyxxia said:
MSM causes the body to release toxins that have built up over the years. Since the skin is a major path of elimination, breakouts are a sign that it is working. it will settle down after a period of time.

I'm not suggesting that anyone keep taking it, just trying to explain the effects some of you may have seen.

This was the case for me. I had to get rid of toxins that had accumulated in my body. Now I have no problems w/ outbreaks. I'm hairy as a monkey, but no outbreaks.

Last edited:

mkh_77

Hi Sugaplum! What's up?!

I take MSM--the powder form. So, it's ok if you get breakouts at first because it will subside? But, how long will it take to subside, and what about those people who have acne anway? Will it eventually help clear that up? Just wondering. TIA!

esoterica

longhair75 said:
I haven't experienced any breakouts I hope that don't mean it ain't working
Depends how much youre taking. some people take 1000mg per day and breakout while others can take more with no problems. i was taking 10grams per day for over a month and i didnt break out. im pretty sure it was working though :)

esoterica

mkh_77 said:
Hi Sugaplum! What's up?!

I take MSM--the powder form. So, it's ok if you get breakouts at first because it will subside? But, how long will it take to subside, and what about those people who have acne anway? Will it eventually help clear that up? Just wondering. TIA!
Being a source of sulphur, MSM will be helpful for most skin conditions, especially acne.

london honey

this is true, the breakouts will stop after your body is 'cleansed'. i have had no problems with MSM and im thinking of taking it in powder form. ita with drinking lots of water, i drink about 3litres daily.

asphyxxia said:

czyfaith77

Annakei said:
Im getting rid of the MSM from my regimen!! I have gotten so many pimples (the ones that are below the surface and hurt!!) since starting MSM and before that my skin was GREAT! Now my chin looks like a battle field with scars.. :(

This happen to anyone? WHo else stopped taking it? Anyone had this happen and found a way around it? Whenever I take my guggul pills that counteracts it but I dont take them regularly and I dont really drink water like I should...

I take MSM and Biotin. I don't have a skin reaction to neither. As a matter of fact I increased my Biotin in the last two months (adding one each month to my already dosage). I still haven't had a problem with my skin. What I did notice with the Biotin by the first increase was a change in how my hair felt. It felt stronger and I want to say thicker (it's already a forest up there- but it made it even better). I really like the results. I am so sorry that it doesn't seem to agree with you. Have tried playing with the dosages. Some need more or less than others. I wish you well.

Also, I kow this isn't a skin thread really, but I started using this Mint Julep Cleanser by Queen Helene ( I know a cheapie) but it really works well on my skin as far as cleansing and making my skin look really fresh and bright. I also use the mask. It was a great find for me at the BSS. I also drink water like it is going out of style often drink more than 64oz a day. The water helps also.;)

Last edited:

Annakei

Guggul are these Ayyurvedic pills my brother told me to get to combat acne and help with weight loss. They give me energy needed for a GOOD THOROUGH workout while in Krav Maga (self defense class) and also the acne subsides when I take it along with my Ultra Thick Shake and MSM added. MY ISSUE is water and Ill drink 64 oz of milk before I drink water. I know I know...i love dairy!

I'll think about it. Right now the acne is at its worst its been in a while (2 large pimples in my chin) and Im gonna wait for those to go away then start again with water.

esoterica

Annakei said:
Guggul are these Ayyurvedic pills my brother told me to get to combat acne and help with weight loss. They give me energy needed for a GOOD THOROUGH workout while in Krav Maga (self defense class) and also the acne subsides when I take it along with my Ultra Thick Shake and MSM added. MY ISSUE is water and Ill drink 64 oz of milk before I drink water. I know I know...i love dairy!

I'll think about it. Right now the acne is at its worst its been in a while (2 large pimples in my chin) and Im gonna wait for those to go away then start again with water.
There have been many studies linking milk consumption to acne. I had to give it up several years ago when my acne started.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ml&sSheet=/portal/2005/02/25/ixportaltop.html
http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_acne.htm

Annakei

asphyxxia said:
There have been many studies linking milk consumption to acne. I had to give it up several years ago when my acne started.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ml&sSheet=/portal/2005/02/25/ixportaltop.html
http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_acne.htm

Actually milk doesnt cause ME to break out with acne. As I said before my skin was GREAT (drinking milk and all) before I started taking MSM. Each person is different. Food made with iodine salk USED to break me out but now it doesnt. Sugar USED to break me out but now it doesnt either. I eat a pretty balanced, diet free of junk food and the like and my skin has benefited from it until recently. I didnt take MSM for a week and my skin returned to its normal state which was acne free, so for me I KNOW that it is the MSM. Sure, I need to drink more water but until then,I'll need to kick the habit because having clear skin is just as improtant to me. As another poster said, my hair will grow anyway.

Furthermore, since I began this quest to improve my hair Ive been taking supplements which includes the hair shake. For the last 6 weeks Ive been using Almond Breeze (milk substitute that tastes better) and is healthier/low fat/low sugar. So nah its the MSM.

LondonDiva

london honey said:
this is true, the breakouts will stop after your body is 'cleansed'. i have had no problems with MSM and im thinking of taking it in powder form. ita with drinking lots of water, i drink about 3litres daily.

LH Forget the powder go for the crystals instead, 99.9% pure. I get mine from here

http://www.a1msm.co.uk

Queenie

Annakei said:
Actually milk doesnt cause ME to break out with acne. As I said before my skin was GREAT (drinking milk and all) before I started taking MSM. Each person is different. Food made with iodine salk USED to break me out but now it doesnt. Sugar USED to break me out but now it doesnt either. I eat a pretty balanced, diet free of junk food and the like and my skin has benefited from it until recently. I didnt take MSM for a week and my skin returned to its normal state which was acne free, so for me I KNOW that it is the MSM. Sure, I need to drink more water but until then,I'll need to kick the habit because having clear skin is just as improtant to me. As another poster said, my hair will grow anyway.

Furthermore, since I began this quest to improve my hair Ive been taking supplements which includes the hair shake. For the last 6 weeks Ive been using Almond Breeze (milk substitute that tastes better) and is healthier/low fat/low sugar. So nah its the MSM.

I think you may be allergic to sulphur. I break out when I have foods or medicine containing it.

I also break out when I have a lot of refined sugar (i.e. a candy bar). Refined sugar is processed with sulphur.

Jewell

Yes, maybe you are allergic. You also may not be drinking enough water. I have been taking biotin and MSM consistently this year. I have oily skin, but I don't break out because I make sure to drink plenty of water and or light juices. I notice when I don't drink enough, here come the small breakouts on my chin. :ohwell:

Annakei

California said:
Thanks for the link LondonDiva :) I like my MSM too.

Are you in the UK? :confused: Im mad y'all are hijacking my thread! :eek:

Anyhoo :look: I may be allergic but we'll see what happens. I have the form that is 99.9% pure as well so its not about purity here....

MissYocairis

Annakei said:

You are NOT alone! I started taking MSM Powder last Monday and I took it four mornings straight...then, on the fifth morning, I woke up to a FACE FULL of budding pimples in places I NEVER get pimples? Just little mini crops of them. I am a clear skin fanatic and pj. I have gone to great pains over the last decade to keep my skin pretty and clear and to avoid scars and prevent outbreaks. I don't have an acne problem , I've always just gotten them one at a time or maybe two if it's a particularly hormonal month. But, Friday morning, all told, I probably had about 12 in different little spots all around my face. Needless to say, I haven't done the MSM since. I am disappointed because I like the MSM and I like the idea of toxins being flushed (which I read was going to happen), but I cannot under any circumstances permit the flourishing of pimples in multiples. SO, I'm saying all that to say, that I have decided to try a different MSM schedule. Maybe do every other day or so. My guess is, the pimple outbreak is due to the toxins being brought to the surface and flushed out of our bodies. Just like the headaches and flu symptoms are supposed to be the result of toxin flushing, maybe the pimples are too, and, if I can just get my body used to the MSM, the tendency to break out will decrease or go back down to normal.

I started taking the msm again and I broke out againand my period came early , could the effect it is having on my period be a result of cleansing also?