Christians and Holloween

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I agree...but if a church has regularly scheduled service, are you saying they should close the church and go out among the Trick or Treaters to testify? Actually that's not such a bad idea, either... :yep: I'm not trying to be funny...but where's the compromise?

The violent taketh by force..if Christians really were to stand up and be Christians, we could take Halloween off the map....just like it was done historically. For us to sit back and do nothing and "let the heathens" have their day, how effective is that? I call this the Obama syndrome. Sometimes doing nothing is just as bad.

It's so easy (like parents with children) to tell people what NOT to do, when we can offer no solution. Children learn when we tell them what TO DO, not what NOT to do.

I think ASuperwoman's children have an effective testimony if they tell other children WHY they stayed home on Halloween, that God is to be celebrated. That's a solution, IMHO. The Bible says This is the day that the Lord has made.... Satan can't claim no DAY. Why allow him to?

I see it this way, if a Christian is not in church or or out trick-or-treating, then they must be home (or at a friends home, etc). If not in church, praising and worshipping, then what are they doing home?

Wouldn't watching horror flicks at home on Halloween be an appearance of evil?
( I don't do that nonsense, btw.. LOL)

I'm just saying when do Christians start offering solutions?

Because every time we compromise, we get burned or led stray. If we were serious about sharing the Gospel during secularized pagan holidays, we would be out there doing it, not safe in a building with other like-minded people.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I simply quoted the part of your quote that articulated what I'm trying to say... like everyone else here does.

It wasn't an attempt to paraphrase or screw your words. If you thought that was my intent, I apologize for that. :yep:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielocs
If Christ is the focus of the event, I have no problem with it, but many times that is not the case. There's candy, costumes and games... Sounds like the same things they are doing in the streets. Not one harvest festival I've ever been to does anything more than offer candy and treats.
Please don't leave out the rest....

I'm not trying to difficult at all. Please do not take my words and quote parts of sentences to make a point. Thanks.

Ladybelle

I'm loving this thread, I think Christians should talk about stuff like this more often. The more of us on one accord, the better.

We can have our own celebrations, but why have them on the same days the rest of the world does? Are we allowed to compromise to bring non-believers into the fold? Or are we compromising to feel a part of the world

We celebrate Christmas with the rest of the world, but how much Christ is there really in Christmas? It seems so very commericialized to me. How many of us really have our children pick out toys to give to children in need? How many of us visit sick babies on Christmas day? Or any of the others things that would be really symbolic of CHRISTmas? How many of our children need another load of toys that some of them never really play with? As christians of course we are called to be IN this world but not OF this world and indeed there is a difference. But, how often is that the case? When we shop with everybody else, work like everybody else, talk like everybody else and act like everybody else? If we were all walking according to our purpose, the saying would be true - and we would be in this world but not of it, most of us reek the world though. That's just IMHO.

goldielocs

I'm loving this thread, I think Christians should talk about stuff like this more often. The more of us on one accord, the better.

We celebrate Christmas with the rest of the world, but how much Christ is there really in Christmas? It seems so very commericialized to me. How many of us really have our children pick out toys to give to children in need? How many of us visit sick babies on Christmas day? Or any of the others things that would be really symbolic of CHRISTmas? How many of our children need another load of toys that some of them never really play with? As christians of course we are called to be IN this world but not OF this world and indeed there is a difference. But, how often is that the case? When we shop with everybody else, work like everybody else, talk like everybody else and act like everybody else? If we were all walking according to our purpose, the saying would be true - and we would be in this world but not of it, most of us reek the world though. That's just IMHO.

You post reminds me of the conversations my husband and I had before we decided to celebrate Old Testament holidays. We came to the conclusion that trying to force Christ into Christmas was pointless since it was not meant for Him. This year has been the first year we've actually been able to stick with all of them and have learned so much. I understand some think that celebrating them is too legalistic, but I've found the opposite to be true. All of them focus on family time, teaching your children about God and giving to others in need. The other great thing is that all the OT holidays connect to the NT so connecting them to our Savior has never been a problem.

Also, Leala, I'm sorry if I came off as snippy before. This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Tempation to sin is a serious thing and I don't see any reason to open a door in our children's hearts that doesn't have to be.

Take care. I'm gonna try to stay off this board long enough to get my homework done.

GETHEALTHY

Usually I try to tread lightly when it comes to church Fall festivals. I understand the point behind them and I do like that it's an alternative. BUT the church should not avoid teaching the truth about the day. I have a problem with churches who are ok with having scary decorations and haunted houses! I have taught my daughter why we do not celebrate and she understands. NOTHING about the day gives a Christian reason to participate.

I don't see a problem with churches turning the celebration into something positive.

Just like Halloween has pagan origins, both Christmas and Easter also have pagan origins but we still celebrate them; although our intent is different when we celebrate it.

Why not focus on the intent of the celebration...

This is true, but WHY do we celebrate those days. Again my daughter understands that Christmas is not about a gift or Santa (she's always known that Santa is not real) and easter has nothing to do with eggs or a bunny. Christ is the center of both celebrations. Christ has never been the center of Holloween!

I know I'm in the minority, but we don't celebrate any of them for that reason. Halloween was never intended for Christians in any way, shape, form or fashion. Now Christmas and Easter are a whole other animal. Many feel they are important and are willing to sweep their pagan histories under a rug. I'm not one of them...

As for intent, I personally don't think that matters if you recognize something is wrong. I put it in the same category as telling a white lie. It may spare someone's feelings, but it's still a lie.

We don't allow our daughter to participate in harvest festivals because children need to realize that there are times when you will not have an alternative for saying no to something that is not lined up with what God commands us.

There is no alternative to honoring God.
There is no alternative to saying no to sex before marriage.
There is no alternative to telling the truth.
There is no alternative to respecting and obeying parents.

I see this issue as something much deeper than participating in a pagan holiday. It's a soul issue of honoring God and I think our children need to learn this at an earlier age. That is why young people leave the faith once they get into college. We've taught them that alternatives to Christ are ok.

I'm now off my soapbox... have a blessed day.

Love that!!:yep::yep::yep:

It's more about what exactly done at the churches. I see nothing wrong with having a program teaching children about why not to celebrate Halloween or some other Christ-centered social event. But I think we tread on dangerous ground when we have them come to church basically to get candy, as some churches do.

I wish more churches did this!

I think that the celebration of "Halloween" as a pagan festival only has meaning as such to adults and those who practice paganism. If a person's conscience is defiled by the belief that something is demonic, then that person should never participate in that thing.

But I don't believe that the origins of Halloween make current trick or treating evil or demonic. If someone allows their child to dress up as a devil, to play with a Quija board, to visit haunted houses, etc., then that opens that child's spirit to things that are dark and evil.

Things don't have to be done that way. Whether it's considered an "alternative" to Halloween or not, we can honor the Lord by acknowledging what is good and pure and fun on any day.

We don't need to mark our actions by what the world is or isn't doing. What the world is up to is actually irrelevant to what we choose to do. All we need to do is to continually act, speak, and celebrate in ways that are God-honoring.

This is exactly what the world wants you to believe. That it's a harmless day if you don't celebrate it like history says it should be celebrated. How are you "Set appart" if your in the mix of the celebration with the rest of the world?

GETHEALTHY

I agree. I hate to say it but I think Christians have allowed the world to slowy pull Christ out of Christmas. So now our children can't even go to school and say Merry Christmas, it's Happy Holidays! No longer do they have school Chirstmas plays/programs, It's a holiday program and they can't talk about religion! I have made it a point to have my Youth/Teen choir members hold a clothing and Toy drive this year and give to those in need. But I also plan to let this only be the start of year round giving.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
This is exactly what the world wants you to believe. That it's a harmless day if you don't celebrate it like history says it should be celebrated. How are you "Set appart" if your in the mix of the celebration with the rest of the world?

Because the little girl who gets excited about dressing up as Ariel the Mermaid to go get candy from her neighbors is not celebrating a pagan holiday, inwardly or outwardly. Personally, I would be more concerned with causing my children to see evil in the actions of themselves and their friends where neither evil intent nor action is present. Because what was pure innocence to a child's mind would be come evil to her, and unnecessarily so. But that's my perspective.

The way that we're set apart is to do things that are positively honoring to God, not just reacting by going in the opposite direction of whatever the world is doing. God told us the way that we are to be set apart--obey His commands. If we do that, we won't have to do anything else to be set apart.

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
ITA- my daughter has been telling people about the history of Halloween to everyone who asks her what she was going to dress up as and she's only 8. My little evangelist!!!:yep:

If an 8 year old can accept and live by the truth then adults have no excuse.
Now if an 8 year old 'baby' has this wisdom and revelation, what on earth is wrong with the grown folks. :lol:

But then, God did say, "... a child shall lead " :yep:

:bighug: and :kiss: for your babygirl.

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie,

I believe that a lot of Christians are ignorant of demonic activity. And it is sad.

I remember as a kid how we used to watch horror movies, I used to love them:nono:!

The funny thing is, God eventually grew me up to have a strong gift of discernment, and a to be a "seer" if you will.

The spirit realm is nothing and I mean nothing to play with. Which just emphasizes why we need to separate ourselves and children from this evil holiday.

I agree too with what you said about how obvious Haloween is in demonic activity...any time a "season" announces itself with all sorts of demonic movies on tv and in theaters and we never question why the bulk of this stuff comes on this time of year????

I've tried to get family members to see Halloween for what it is, they just think I am being deep. Oh well.:sad:

For the ladies who still want to have parties for children...I understand that kids want to be kids, and when they see all of the festivity, they want to be a part...my Mom used to have costume parties at our house for us.

I grew up in the late 70's and 80's when people were tampering with candy and doing stupid stuff like putting needles in candy bars :nono: !

So she would bake and purchase goodies and everyone would come to our house. No ghoulish costumes on us ever. Some may still disagree, but that is what we did. I don't have children yet, but I think that I would probably do something along these lines in the future, and put a biblical spin on it, i.e., people do bible characters/bible plays with the kids.

Good post! :up:

Growing up, I never liked 'eery' or goulish things. I remember allowing my youngest sister (who was a horror movie fan) talk me into watching the exorcist with her (she had seen the movie 50-11 or so times and loved it); as for me, I'd never seen it; and let's just say, I was afraid to go to bathroom before, during and after it was on. :nervous2:

Our dad had this huge house and for weeks, she had to come into the bathroom with me so that I could wash my hair. :peek: And trust me, she used it to her advantage; with the full neck turn. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

All to say that God had no problem teaching me about the evils of Halloween. :look:

As for folks not seeing the obvious.... :perplexed

Last edited:

rafikichick92

I agree. I'm so disappointed with how so many of my Christian friends have acted this Halloween. One of them had the nerve to ask me, "What are you doing for Halloween?" I looked at him and was like "I don't celebrate Halloween." He was like "Oh." I didn't know what to say. It seems so obvious to me. In fact, just hearing or thinking about this "holiday" irritates me.

On the church "Fall Festival" I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I can see trying to provide a "Christian alternative" to the event, but it still just seems like a perversion of darkness rather than a light in the darkness in most cases ...

Shimmie

Staff member
I agree. I'm so disappointed with how so many of my Christian friends have acted this Halloween.

One of them had the nerve to ask me, "What are you doing for Halloween?" I looked at him and was like "I don't celebrate Halloween." He was like "Oh." I didn't know what to say. It seems so obvious to me. In fact, just hearing or thinking about this "holiday" irritates me.

On the church "Fall Festival" I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I can see trying to provide a "Christian alternative" to the event, but it still just seems like a perversion of darkness rather than a light in the darkness in most cases ...

:yep::yep::yep: We are both >>> here <<< with this.

I want to put some of them in the 'time-out' corner. :nono2: :lachen: