Afraid To Pray At Night...

LocksOfLuV

Hey Ladies,

I have a few thoughts and concerns that I think you may be able to give me some assistance on. I don't know if this is a spiritual thing or even a psychological thing, but I will take a stab at it.

A little background first. My brother died 11 mos ago on New Year's day. He was shot to death, and even after his death I questioned where he 'went after death' seeing as he did not live a 'saved' lifestyle. But he was a EXTREMELY good-hearted man. Just did some wrong things in his life, which made me unsure.

Since his death, I have been afraid to pray at night. I usually say my little short (thank you) prayers during the day but since his death, I have to get myself drowsy with the television on to feel comfy enough to even go to bed without the TV on. I am afraid that his ghost will come visit me at night, and I know this sounds weird but I am verrrrrry scared of ghosts or demons coming to me.

I am afraid that if I pray at night (in the dark no TV), that ghosts or spirits will enter the room and scare the bejeebus out of me. I am 22 years old and I can't believe this new fear of the dark. I don't know if this is psychological or spiritual, or even 'demonic'. I just hear these stories of ghosts and demons coming to visit people and I think "what if my brother comes to me-and his spirit isn't nec a good one.":(

How can I overcome this? Last night I tried to break myself from this and pray in the pitch black with no TV on, and I was so scared, I was too scared to even turn on the television. I ended up turning on the television, and falling asleep with it on and woke up out my sleep to turn it off (the television on while I am sleeping also gives me bad dreams too :( ). Any comments or suggestions? This is really interfering with (what I think) my intimate relationship with GOD. Since I only pray in the daytime with other's around (silent prayers) I feel like my prayers are often kept short or not everything I want to say. Praying outloud? You can forget about that, I am also afraid of that too, I feel as though (as silly as this is) that the evil spirits can hear me too, so I pray silent so GOD can only hear me. Please help and thanks in advance.

p31woman

LOL...I'm laughing because you sound like me!:lachen:

I'm 21 and am a big ol scardy cat...lol:lachen:

One thing I do is press forward with my prayers anyway! My pastor has taught me that the times I don't feel like praying are the times I really need to be on my knees.

Think of it this way, God sees and hears everything right...well so does satan! So if satan knows your fear, don't you think he will use it to try and disconnect you from God? Especially if Satan sees what God is about to bring you into and he knows you are a prayer away from receiving what you need, he is by all means gonna be in your ear trying to fill u with fear.

I'm not sure if you do it already, but pray all during the day. While you drive, eat lunch...because please believe God hears us regardless of if our eyes are opened or closed.

Remember, God hasn't given us the spirit of fear, but of power!

Whatever you do, don't let fear stop you from praying to the one that sees, and hears all things and has the power to protect you!

Be Bold!! Let the devil know his attempts have failed. I'LL be praying with you!;)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
The devil is such a liar! And there is absolutely no truth in him.

The definition of fear is ...

"False Evidence Appearing Real"

The devil will use fear to 'stop' us or to hinder us from moving forward. Why, because he knows that any thing 'unknown' to us is fearful. Any mystery, or unanswered question or lack of knowledge of a thing or situation.

Night time is the best time to pray as is anytime of the day. God gives us His grace and permission to pray.

NOW, for your sleep,

Proverbs 3:24-26

When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.

Be not afraid of SUDDEN FEAR, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.

For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.

Feeling better sweet one? God reinforces this promise of His with 'Yea' you shall lie down in safety. Honey, No one can harm you while you are sleeping or awake and the only visit you shall have from this moment on...is the loving protection of God's angels watching over you.

Instead of the TV, place a tape or CD of worship music on beside your bed and dream sweet dreams of peace.

Angel, your brother is at peace....;) Now, so are you.

Last edited:

LocksOfLuV

Thank you ladies!

But now something else is bothering me, I know....

Does this mean I have the devil in me, because of this fear? That's very scary to me.

P31 I just said a silent prayer and Shimmie I said your Proverb's prayer. Besides daily/constant prayer is there something else I should be doing?

C

chica_canella

Yes, I say pray and try to read atleast a chapter of your bible before going to bed instead of reading it in the day time.

PaperClip

chica_canella said:
Yes, I say pray and try to read atleast a chapter of your bible before going to bed instead of reading it in the day time.

Psalm 91 is one suggestion.... psalm of protection.

pebbles

LocksOfLuV said:
Thank you ladies!

Does this mean I have the devil in me, because of this fear? That's very scary to me.

P31 I just said a silent prayer and Shimmie I said your Proverb's prayer. Besides daily/constant prayer is there something else I should be doing?

NO!! You do not have the devil in you. Don't believe that lie for one minute. :)

p31woman

LocksOfLuV said:
Thank you ladies!

Oh no!!

The devil and his lame little workers are always around just like God and His Angels. They mess with us all. The devil isn't in you because of your fear.

Nice & Wavy

Sounds to me like the devil is afraid of you! If he can get you to be afraid of praying in the dark, he succeeds because he knows that once you get over the fear, he's in big trouble.

Remember this....there is nothing that satan can do to you in the darkness or the light for that matter. That's why he comes with fear...it's in your thoughts....cast down every imagination and every high thing that tries to exalt itself against the knowledge of God and bring those thoughts to the captivity of Jesus Christ. II Corithians 10:5

Get some anointing oil and anoint yourself before your prayer time.

I will be praying for you. Remember, you are a child of the Most High God!!!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
LocksOfLuV said:
Thank you ladies!

No sweetheart...

May I tell you something and from this moment on the devil has to flee with the lies he's been trying to 'sell' you.

We ALL have fears...all of us. Especially the devil. he has the most fears of all. Now with that being said, with all of us, the devil is wasted.

The devil is trying to 'trick' you. But he can't. If he were in you, then you would not be here speaking to us..... Huhhhhh?

Fear is False Evidence babygirl...False Evidence 'only' Appearing to be real.

We love you... :kiss:

**Tasha*Love**

LocksofLuv I was the same way when my mother passed. I can't really explain it but I was so afraid to get down on my knees and pray, and i was 30 yrs old at time. I would turn the TV down when it was time to pray but felt fearful for some reason. I would always sleep with the TV on even though I don't like to. Eventually my feelings passed but I think it happened after I started to accept her death and got closer to God and his word.

StrawberryQueen

LocksOfLuV said:
Hey Ladies,

I have a few thoughts and concerns that I think you may be able to give me some assistance on. I don't know if this is a spiritual thing or even a psychological thing, but I will take a stab at it.

A little background first. My brother died 11 mos ago on New Year's day. He was shot to death, and even after his death I questioned where he 'went after death' seeing as he did not live a 'saved' lifestyle. But he was a EXTREMELY good-hearted man. Just did some wrong things in his life, which made me unsure.

Since his death, I have been afraid to pray at night. I usually say my little short (thank you) prayers during the day but since his death, I have to get myself drowsy with the television on to feel comfy enough to even go to bed without the TV on. I am afraid that his ghost will come visit me at night, and I know this sounds weird but I am verrrrrry scared of ghosts or demons coming to me.

I am afraid that if I pray at night (in the dark no TV), that ghosts or spirits will enter the room and scare the bejeebus out of me. I am 22 years old and I can't believe this new fear of the dark. I don't know if this is psychological or spiritual, or even 'demonic'. I just hear these stories of ghosts and demons coming to visit people and I think "what if my brother comes to me-and his spirit isn't nec a good one.":(

How can I overcome this? Last night I tried to break myself from this and pray in the pitch black with no TV on, and I was so scared, I was too scared to even turn on the television. I ended up turning on the television, and falling asleep with it on and woke up out my sleep to turn it off (the television on while I am sleeping also gives me bad dreams too :( ). Any comments or suggestions? This is really interfering with (what I think) my intimate relationship with GOD. Since I only pray in the daytime with other's around (silent prayers) I feel like my prayers are often kept short or not everything I want to say. Praying outloud? You can forget about that, I am also afraid of that too, I feel as though (as silly as this is) that the evil spirits can hear me too, so I pray silent so GOD can only hear me. Please help and thanks in advance.

Reading the Bible at night helps. But I don't think anything that's going to specifically happen to you at night. Things can happen whenever, wherever. You just have to strengthen your spirit.

charmingt

:) Hi LocksOfLuv,

Just remember that "God didn't give us a spirit of fear but of Power, and of Love and a Sound Mind.:)

StrawberryQueen

charmingt said:
:) Hi LocksOfLuv,

Just remember that "God didn't give us a spirit of fear but of Power, and of Love and a Sound Mind.:)
wow this brought tears to my eyes. I really needed to see this now. Thanks Charmingt!

C

chica_canella

Nice & Wavy said:
Sounds to me like the devil is afraid of you! If he can get you to be afraid of praying in the dark, he succeeds because he knows that once you get over the fear, he's in big trouble.

Remember this....there is nothing that satan can do to you in the darkness or the light for that matter. That's why he comes with fear...it's in your thoughts....cast down every imagination and every high thing that tries to exalt itself against the knowledge of God and bring those thoughts to the captivity of Jesus Christ. II Corithians 10:5

Get some anointing oil and anoint yourself before your prayer time.

I will be praying for you. Remember, you are a child of the Most High God!!!

Thank you so much for this II Corinthian scripture. It really helped to feed my spirit this morning.:D

Nice & Wavy

chica_canella said:
Thank you so much for this II Corinthian scripture. It really helped to feed my spirit this morning.:D

You are welcome. The Holy Spirit knows what we need when we need it, right?

Blessings.:p