Chi Enviro American Hair Straightening Treatment

Kurlee

..so this treatment really isnt safe? What can one use, because I love the results.
I think sodium sulfite ones with heat . . . . still tryna figure that one out (kera minerals). They kinda work like old school acid perms and oxidize over time, so your hair goes back to "normal".

These companies are such liars.

Last edited:

Kurlee

I just wish these companies would be more straight up. I think that's why QOD keeps saying "no formaldehyde added" and that they can't advertise it as "formaldehyde free" because it really isn't added, but it is produced with the heat. I was reading about this with the Ion treatment (Sally's) that has Vanillin as the key ingredient. Most will think it's just Vanilla, but it's really a kind of aldehyde that with heat has the same type of effects as the "formaldehyde". Fumes and gases released.

Forgive me, it's been a while since Org. Chem.

Last edited:

Aggie

Can you still shampoo & condition your hair as normal with this? It won't revert back?

^^^I wanna know this too. I am thinking about trying it out for a couple of months.

-Can you use any other sulfate-free shampoo or is there a very specific type of shampoo?

-What about conditioners other than the one that comes with the kit?

-Also, how do you keep your hair moisturized without reverting with this system?

Lots of questions I know and I'm sorry about that, but I really want to know from those here who have tried it. I don't trust reviews from other sites.

AstroQueen77

The title is confusing...it is called a smoothing system, not straightening system. It is NOT a relaxer. It simply reduces the kink, frizz of the curl...so managing the hair is easier. My flat irons don't revert as quickly and my hair is softer, has a sheen and does not shed.

So, when you flat iron and then shampoo your hair a few weeks later...It WILL revert. Treat your hair as you normally do after you have applied the treatment..

Kurlee

..so this treatment really isnt safe? What can one use, because I love the results.

i'm not sure. It appears that it MIGHT be safe, but it is hard to find info on the actual combination of oxoacetamide with carbocysteine. acetamides on their own are no bueno, but different "mixes" can produce totally different chemicals with different properties.