Cathy Howse Reviews Shamboosie

G

Re: Cathy Howse Reviews Shamboosie *DELETED*

OK, But On Amazon, A Woman Posted that she ordered the book and the book said to "NEVER, EVER Trim your Hair" and that Cathy said in her book "That Her Product is the Only Thing that Will Work don't use anything else".

I've read the book cover to cover and did not see those statements, did you? So In my estimation what she said was not true. (A lie is merely something that is not true). Right.

Sooo, I'm really not understanding here. I know on this board that people pacify people and walk with kid gloves even if it means, (twisting the truth). Pebbles I really am trying but I was raised to be truthful.

I edited to add that I did not delete that post, one of you all did. Yet the "other two" posters comments was left to remain. Do you see the problem here?

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you were glad you didn't listen to negative comments and lies you've read on this board and amazon.com about Cathy Howes book. (I did read your post before you deleted it. ) My feeling will continue to be that one woman's lie is another woman's truth. That's why I feel that quote is appropriate. Don't forget Mindymouse, I use and love the book and products by Cathy Howes also, but I accept that it doesn't work for everyone. That's my point and that's why I feel that quote is appropriate. You have the right to disagree, but that's my honest opinion on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Pebbles!

Jada

Hey Mindymouse
Maybe, there should be no more discussions about Ms. Howse. Since for some unfortunate reason??????????? she seems to stir up quite a bit of controversey. Pebbles ditto on what you said..Mindymouse my hair buddy, I am sorry I did not get a chance to read your comments please contact me.

pebbles

Mindymouse, I read the book several times and I never read where it says that you SHOULD NOT trim your hair. I did read that she didn't feel it was necessary to trim your hair to gain length, and I personally agree with that statement because I tried it and found that to be true. However, not everyone will agree with this statement, and that's fine.

I do know what a lie is, thanks, but I also know that people tend to read and interpret things differently. At any rate, whatever a person's perception of the truth is as it pertains to Cathy Howes, is individual, and I don't think it's right to call anyone's statement a lie because of how they see things. You can call it tap dancing, sugar coating, or anything else, but I maintain the position that one can disagree with a comment without coming out and saying that a person is a liar. That's a strong word to me, and if my reluctance to see that word used here classifies me as wanting to "pacify" people, so be it. Whatever it takes to maintain the peace here is what I will do. That is, after all, my job here.

H

HoneyRockette

Wow! I can't believe I missed this thread. It's good. I have both books too. I took a little from each author but I don't think either of their systems would fit into my current hair regimen. I don't get it though. Why does Cathy make such a big deal that Shamboosie didn't write his book by himself? He is a hairdresser, not an author. A lot of experts have help writing their book because otherwise it would have no structure. I don't see why that was even made into an argument. That's a low blow to me. That's like making fun of someone's glass eye. It has nothing to do with the actual information. Andre had help and so did Wanakee. Big deal! It doesn't, (or shouldn't) hurt to get a little help in an area that isn't your field.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mindymouse
Maybe, there should be no more discussions about Ms. Howse. Since for some unfortunate reason??????????? she seems to stir up quite a bit of controversey. Pebbles ditto on what you said..Mindymouse my hair buddy, I am sorry I did not get a chance to read your comments please contact me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Jada, I think your probably right.. And I definitely see a double standard, I just got to work on keeping my mouth shut. Cause some people purposely bring this up to cause problems

In my estimation it could be you or pebbles or anyone if someone dogged you guys for no reason, I'd feel the same way, it's not about Howse for me, it's about fair treatment.

Yeah, I'll email ya.

G

Um, apparently we differ on a simple word LIe. A lie is not a disagreement.

A lie is an untrue statement, you hear this word every single day of your life, wheter it be job, tv, streets whereever, but because it's said in "this" forum about Howse, its a "strong" word. Do a search and see what other threads used the word. Yet it's only a problem and strong when I use it???

You say you know what the word means, yet when you explain it , it comes out backward. Its not that that woman "disagree" or had wrong Percepition, she said. The book said. Just as If I said Pebbles said in a post that I'm too fat. You did'nt say that, so even if I "misunderstood" your statement, It was still untrue..

Which is a _ _ _

Bellatrix

Extract taken from UBH Growth book... p34

[ QUOTE ]
Trimming is necessary to correct uneven lengths remove split ends or broken hair. Remember, growth is controlled inside the scalp, not at the hair ends!

I never trim my ends. Occasionally, if it looks too uneven, I will have a trusted friend even it out. Trim it? No way! I know it is not necessary.

I deliberately do not trim my ends to prove that trimming has nothing to do with hair growth. It never has and never will!

[/ QUOTE ]

pebbles

Mindymouse, let me put it to you this way;

I say Shamboosie's book is a great book,
You say it's a bad book.
Who's statement is truthful, and who's statement is a lie?? Can you tell? If you can, my hats off to you.

I'm not talking about one statement out of the book, and I assumed you weren't either. I can't imagine that ONE statement would cause such an uproar...

At any rate, I could go around in a circle with this, but I don't have the time, and this is not the place for it. I'm going to let this thread get back on track by letting people post their opinions on what they feel about Cathy Howes, Shamboosie and their books. Please, I implore you to do the same. Thanks

JenJen2721

Well I finally purchased Cathy's book; to see what all the hoopla was about. I guess controversy is free advertising!
I also wanted to see if there was something in the book that I hadn't learned here. 98% of the stuff in her book, has been discussed here already. This board gives you pretty much everything she gives in her book. The one thing that stood out in her book that worked well for me, was putting moisturizer on the hair right after washing and conditioning while the hair is still wet. It made a lot of sense to me and when I did it, I noticed much, much softer hair. Also, when she recommends moisturizing 2-3x a day for the first 3 weeks following a relaxer. Basically the chapter on moisturizing was very helpful for me. The rest was common sense and/or has been discussed on this board in depth. I think it's a good reference manual for someone who is starting out or doesn't have a forum like this one to turn to.

G

Re: Shamboosie\'s Book

I ordered this months ago but Amazon rejected my credit card (their error). Anyway, the problem I have with most hair care books is that they discuss the issue but don't go into detail. Does the Shamboosie book go into sufficient detail so that the advice can be followed? Thanks.

pebbles

It's been a while since I read it, but from what I remember he was pretty good at going into detail on some of the issues with hair care. I'll have to take a look at it again tonight when I get home to tell you for sure.

Bellatrix

That was one of the problems I had with the 'UBH Growth II' book.

For example on p83, she says that there are alot of good moisturizers on the market, but she doesn't tell you which ones are good, apart from the expensive one she sells online.

I tried it and hated it. What a waste...

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Carolyn Gray goes into great detail in her first book. That book turned my mild case of PJ-itis into a full on addiction!
It's out of print now, though.
She working on an update. Curly Girl tells you what ingredients to look for but doesn't really recommend any products. Shamboosie goes into detail but he only rec's Dudley's and Nexxus products. But you could probably follow his regime and use something else if you don't like those.

G

[ QUOTE ]
That was one of the problems I had with the 'UBH Growth II' book.

For example on p83, she says that there are alot of good moisturizers on the market, but she doesn't tell you which ones are good, apart from the expensive one she sells online.

I tried it and hated it. What a waste...

[/ QUOTE ]
____
I have sold the Howse book but my hair didn't really start to get long until I started following her general suggestions. If not for hair boards, I would not have been able to follow them because she didn't give enough detail. Her biggest suggestion that helped me was keeping the hair moisturized as opposed to having the scalp oiled. I do brush my hair but I use a boar brush or wide angled one. I trim only 1/4 (or I scream at my beautician not to cut more than 1/4) and I use her conditioner. These few suggestions have me growing my hair to lengths it has never been. I do agree though that she barely touched the surface with detail. In MYO, she should have re-released the first book, which everybody loved, and made the additions to that book.

Add: A perfect example, she recommends a good conditioner but fails to give you the recipe. This is my favorite conditioner and ONLY conditioner but, for hair boards, I never would have been able to make it.

G

Shamboosie goes into detail but he only rec's Dudley's and Nexxus products. But you could probably follow his regime and use something else if you don't like those
___
I would never change products. I have found what works for me. I am curious about his recommendations though.

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
This board gives you pretty much everything she gives in her book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeed, JenJen2721.
I'm not terribly motivated to read about hair care elsewhere. Y'all are making me spoiled and lazy.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mindymouse

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, some unfortunate reason.

pebbles

Hi Pandora!
Haven't seen you for a while. Nice to see you posting.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Bett1e said:
Shamboosie goes into detail but he only rec's Dudley's and Nexxus products. But you could probably follow his regime and use something else if you don't like those
___
I would never change products. I have found what works for me. I am curious about his recommendations though.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
Well, I got the book from the library and perused it. IMO, it didn't give any more information than we got from hair boards. Also, he only recommends Dudley products which leads me to believe that he had an ulterior motive in writing the book.

There are some good recommendations for coloring, relaxing and so forth for the person who does all this at home. I go to the salon for relaxing so I didn't find that part useful.

About 10 years ago, this book would have been invaluable to me because I was relaxing at home and my hair was VERY dry and damaged from "no-lye" relaxers.

skegeesmb

Hmmm. I never read Shamboosie's book. But I did read Howse, and she said pretty much what my mother did when she took care of my hair.

I do wish I had this book when I was 12, when I first started doing my hair. I had to learn the hard way how to take care of my hair and keep it moist so that it would grow. It took me three years to get the hang of my hair before it looked good, 5 years before I even knew who Howse was.

Maybe I could have passed it on to my cousins, who, to this day still do the opposite of what Howse says.