Cathy Howse Reviews Shamboosie

G

I think it summed up why she felt the need to police/critque
false info which was the subject matter of this thread.?

Karonica

Stormy

Mindymouse that was you?
Ok, ok, we must have been typing at the same time. If I would have seen your post before I made my comments I would have seen that you meant it's when she talks about moisture. Now I'll agree that moisture is the key. At least for ME (as I always try to say) it is. Although I don't agree with everything she says I agree with moisture helping to keep our hair on our heads and making hair healthy. I'm a firm believer in that!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Carolyn Gray wasn't aware of Howse and her book until last year (She mentioned it on her website). To say that all the other "hair people" are using Howse's info from the book is wrong. A lot of them (and a lot of consumers) figured it out after years of trial and error just like Howse did.

I wasn't aware of Howse until 2001-2002. But in 1995 when I was slathering Luster's Pink Oil on my hair every day, I was practicing the moisture balance system, too...

No one is trying to take anything away from her. Her book will save a lot of people a lot of time and a lot of hair. But there is room for other black hair "experts". Her obsession with discrediting her competitors is what turns me off. And if it's different from what she says, it's "wrong".
It's like she expects to be the last word on black hair care.

G

Stormy, yes me too! Before I always used products with contained mineral oil, petroluem, GREASE. I think we all knew dry hair was our problem - If you can feel your hair you knew that. All the products for our dry hair was Grease based. Even the lotion types which evolved later had it.

Well, anyway, THANK GOD we know better now...

And I don't agree with everything she says either and I thank Carolyn Gray for the air dry method and caruso. Cause there's no way I could sit under a dryer then dry with a curling iron.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Mindymouse that was you?
Ok, ok, we must have been typing at the same time. If I would have seen your post before I made my comments I would have seen that you meant it's when she talks about moisture. Now I'll agree that moisture is the key. At least for ME (as I always try to say) it is. Although I don't agree with everything she says I agree with moisture helping to keep our hair on our heads and making hair healthy. I'm a firm believer in that!

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the moisture thing!

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
Carolyn Gray wasn't aware of Howse and her book until last year (She mentioned it on her website). To say that all the other "hair people" are using Howse's info from the book is wrong. A lot of them (and a lot of consumers) figured it out after years of trial and error just like Howse did.

I wasn't aware of Howse until 2001-2002. But in 1995 when I was slathering Luster's Pink Oil on my hair every day, I was practicing the moisture balance system, too...

No one is trying to take anything away from her. Her book will save a lot of people a lot of time and a lot of hair. But there is room for other black hair "experts". Her obsession with discrediting her competitors is what turns me off. And if it's different from what she says, it's "wrong".
It's like she expects to be the last word on black hair care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!
I could not have said it better.

G

***Marquis Who's Who has compiled a retrospective view of the people responsible for ushering in momentous change Who's Who in 20th Century America brings you the well-known and the legendary who proved to be ahead of their time in both their action and ideas.

From the Wright Brothers' first flight… to Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon… from Edison's phonograph…to Steve Jobs' Macintosh®… this select group of 3,800 individuals has heralded in new philosophies and endeavors, and forever changed the world we live in.***

Howse is mentioned here, among the Who's Who pioneers. I'd say there are those that see otherwise, I'd say she did her research and is among the experts in the field. I would'nt say Shamboosie is a competitor but a fellow author. As all book writers would be.

The only competion would be other haircare product makers, which, I'm sure she does not expect to compete with Loreal or any hugh industry leader. But when it comes to (again) pioneering about "Black Hair" that goes without saying and I would think that alone makes one worthy to "acess" false information.

Which is the ONLY thing she spoke on.

G

Re: Cathy Howse Reviews Shamboosie *DELETED*

Post deleted by pebbles

G

Post deleted by pebbles

pebbles

I'm convinced that there will never be an end to this debate about Cathy Howes. Those who like her, such as myself, will continue to do so and should NOT feel slighted when someone doesn't agree with her views or how she expresses herself. I don't think any offense was intended with the smilies, honestly. From this point on, let's all agree to disagree amicably!!

Miosy

I read both books and I find Shamboosie's book more resourceful when I need to look up a reference concering hair. In my opinion Cathy Howse's book is based on her experience with her hair. Shamboosie's experience comes from experience of dealing with many types of textures. They are both good but I prefer Shamboosie. I give him three and half stars.

Pookie25

I agree also that everything she say is her personal opinion. Which doesn't necessarily make it right. I have personal experiment on trying to put a concentrated protein on dry hair(aphogee) It actually made my hair worst. So I agree with Shamboosie.
But I honestly think the reason she feels that she have to criticize her competitors is because if somebody say anything that contradict what she is saying it is making her look like she don't know what she is talking about to her hair followers.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
But I honestly think the reason she feels that she have to criticize her competitors is because if somebody say anything that contradict what she is saying it is making her look like she don't know what she is talking about to her hair followers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not. Even though their approaches are different it doesn't make one person wrong and the other right. I've learned things from both books. But I know my hair couldn't deal with a lot of heat styling (Shamboosie) or no-lye relaxers (Howse).

raslat

I think her book was more bashing than anything else. Her second book Ultra black Hair growth 2 was "reviewing everybody else's book". she spent a lot of time in her second book talking about every body from Barry Fletcher to Paula(cant remember the last name). she really talks about these people's opinion on hair in a very negative way..to the point where i even read some excerpts to my boyfriend..it made me really annoyed. She disagrees with everybody so this is nothing new....I havent read Shamboosie's book but i have ordered it last week since joining these forums. I would buy another book from her but I just wish she would'nt focus that much on what other people have to say in her work.

Dutchess

Like others here, Cathy's book was the first book I read on how to properly take care of my hair. When I found out she was going to be in my city, I went to meet her personally and found her to be beautiful, very warm and genuine. She further taught me things about my hair care which have led to the success in growing and properly caring for my hair. I am soooooo glad that I went to meet her personally so that I was able to form my own opinions. When I read the book, all I took from it was how to take care of my hair. I'm just so glad that we have found things that are proving positive results for our hair - that's all I'm concerned with.

G

Yes, well said Dutchess..

Hi JADA, Hair Budddy...

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, well said Dutchess..

I thank God everyday, that I did'nt listen to negative remarks and lies and other's peoples opinion, but tried it for myself..

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly Mindymouse,

If everyone listened to Cathy's negative remarks and lies about Shamboosie and others hair books, and didn't try it for themself...

miss_brown

Wow..."lies" is a very strong word. Disagreement never equals lies, it just signifies difference of opinion...

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
Wow..."lies" is a very strong word. Disagreement never equals lies, it just signifies difference of opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's so true.

G

Re: Cathy Howse Reviews Shamboosie *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mindymouse

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
Disagreement never equals lies, it just signifies difference of opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be the quote of the week!!
Thanks for the wisdom!

G

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Disagreement never equals lies, it just signifies difference of opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be the quote of the week!!
Thanks for the wisdom!

[/ QUOTE ]

Which could be true also. But I fail to see how that quote applies here.

pebbles

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you were glad you didn't listen to negative comments and lies you've read on this board and amazon.com about Cathy Howes book. (I did read your post before you deleted it. ) My feeling will continue to be that one woman's lie is another woman's truth. That's why I feel that quote is appropriate. Don't forget Mindymouse, I use and love the book and products by Cathy Howes also, but I accept that it doesn't work for everyone. That's my point and that's why I feel that quote is appropriate. You have the right to disagree, but that's my honest opinion on the subject.