Cathy Howse Reviews Shamboosie

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Here, Here azul11!

[ QUOTE ]
none of these other people said a peep about her so why does she feel the need to comment about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The million dollar question...

G

They did. If you research you'll see this.

Ok Here's some stat's

Her Book and System was the only PROVEN Method at the time of her first writing which was before any other

Shamboosie - Amber Books - Published 2002
Akbari - Trade Source Publishers - 2002
Fletcher - Unity Publishing - 7/00

The only book out at the time of her writing/research was one by Cheryl Talley Moss and here's what reviewer said about the book.

** Only good as a first book for true novices, August 1, 2002
Reviewer: nrudds (see more about me) from Chicago, Illinois United States
I was a little disappointed with this book. It didn't give any new information from other books out there. The weird thing I keep finding is that I've gotten more practical information from books written by "non-professionals" such as "Ultra Hair Growth" by Cathy Howse (or Howe) or. Also, though the models did appear to be actual customers (or employees, such as the author's daughter, who's on the cover shot) they all seemed to have over-processed hair (super straight)!!! This was a bit contradictory since this is one of the things the author warned against.

I don't want to knock the author too much, because she does seem to be sincere about her profession. But, as my title suggest, this book is helpful only if you are just beginning to learn about hair care. This is the third or fourth book I've read and I put off buying it because I feared it would only contain the usual basic stuff that doesn't really address issues black women usually have with growth and thickness. Unfortunately, I was right.

So, I guess if I did a lot of work on project, then have people come out the woodwork, echoing my hardwork or puttin out false information I don't know how I would react, but fo sho, I'd be pissed. She got a lot of flack from Stylist with Comestogly (sp) Licenses who thought she should not get recognized because she was not licensed, yet it is licensed cosmotologists that jacked our hair.

Soooo, if Angela Basset can critic Halle Barry and still be professionals what's the difference.

Again the bottom lines is we all are using her system, mayabe not her product but HER system. 15 years ago, long before this board ever was, she discovered the moisture balance system and dispel myths that was hurting us..

Heads Up Cath !!!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
Soooo, if Angela Basset can critic Halle Barry and still be professionals what's the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is unprofessional behavior also.

Nessa

it's funny though, that a man wrote the book. I mean no offense but maybe it's been a past experience for him. Good Book though.

azul11

I am not disputing her work. kudos for her for being a different voice for black hair care. however with that said that still doesnt change the fact that she came out of no where and started reviewing other people's work when no one said anything about hers. and if angela basset said something about halle berry to the public and it was negative i wouldnt find that tactful. to me i dont think it makes sense. like i said burger king and mc donalds are in a competition with each other. no matter who says what they are saying it because they are the top fast food burger places. they are in a competition. no one is in a competition with cathy. thats the difference. why does she feel the need to say anything at all. if her method is the only proven one at the time then it should remain so if the methods are sound and people are benefiting from her advice. there wouldnt be any need to come out and say anything about anyone else. second just because something worked for her doesnt mean it will work for everyone. so even if she did her own research someone else may have their own research and may find that their method is best. thats the point of the other books. another persepective. another person trying to do the same thing cathy is doing. she cannot hold the market on haircare books. fine she came out and did her thing great. now other people are doing the same. why the need to have a commentary. i didnt see any of them saying well cathy howse said x,y, and z and i dont agree, i think thats wrong and this wrong. they just did their own research and put out their own books. i felt it was unneccessary for her to write her reviews. God bless you all.

JenJen2721

It's just like what politicians do: mudslinging...make the competitors look bad so people will vote for them. I guess it's the American way...but just like I most likely won't vote for those mudslinging politicians....

G

Jen, your Christian right. Just like if someone puts out false info about Jesus or misquote, you speak up and quote it correctly. Why cause you believe and your just correcting the info.

Same thing sorta, is it mudslingin or correcting info.?
Not wanting people deceived. I could see if she was persecuting True Information. That would be different.

azul11

I think there is a difference between religion and haircare. even though your comment wasnt addressed to me and i dont want it to be seen as if i am trying to start a debate about cathy her methods are just that HER methods. they are not the gospel or should be treated like the holy scriptures. she is not the second coming of christ(not that you or anyone said she was) or the messiah. she is a human being who did her own research on haircare. she found out what works FOR HER. two heads are not alike so therefore her regime will not work for everyone. plain and simple. her words are not the gospel. just because she says it doesnt make it the truth. therefore if someone else found something that worked for THEM then they have a right to come out with their own book. no one came after her saying anything so why does she feel the need to nitpick at others. if it was done to her she surely wouldnt appreciated it. God bless you all.

JenJen2721

Jesus is my Lord and Saviour...if I wasn't for him, I'd be dead.

Cathy is not God. Nor is she anywhere close to being God...she is the same as you or I or Shamboosie or Barry Fletcher.

You have to admit all the criticisms she makes of the others books are not all wrong information that they are giving. Barry believes in hand massagers or slant boards for scalp stimulation and Cathy believes in peppermint oil for scalp stimulation. How can she say his methods are wrong? They're just different than hers. She should let people make up their own minds...if her product is really the bomb..people will buy it without her having to make her competitors look bad. Let people make up their own minds.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
The only book out at the time of her writing/research was one by Cheryl Talley Moss and here's what reviewer said about the book.

** Only good as a first book for true novices, August 1, 2002
Reviewer: nrudds (see more about me) from Chicago, Illinois United States
I was a little disappointed with this book. It didn't give any new information from other books out there. The weird thing I keep finding is that I've gotten more practical information from books written by "non-professionals" such as "Ultra Hair Growth" by Cathy Howse (or Howe) or. Also, though the models did appear to be actual customers (or employees, such as the author's daughter, who's on the cover shot) they all seemed to have over-processed hair (super straight)!!! This was a bit contradictory since this is one of the things the author warned against.

I don't want to knock the author too much, because she does seem to be sincere about her profession. But, as my title suggest, this book is helpful only if you are just beginning to learn about hair care. This is the third or fourth book I've read and I put off buying it because I feared it would only contain the usual basic stuff that doesn't really address issues black women usually have with growth and thickness. Unfortunately, I was right

[/ QUOTE ]

I am trying to follow arguments on both sides. But I kinda got lost on the point above. By "reviewer", did you mean just an outsider, as in someone like me giving my opinion? Or is that a magazine that critiques books sort of like they do movies? (Excuse my ignorance.)

If I were an author, I'd expect to hear reviews on all sides about my book, and I might give my review of others in its rightful place. I'd definitely not include my critique of others in my book. If I were asked to give a review in the proper venue (like they do in Amazon.com) there is where I'd have my say. Otherwise, I'd write what I know and believe in my book, and leave it at that. After all, neither of them meant any harm. All of them wanted to help. So why not share what you believe and hope it reaches the people you're trying to reach? I think a little modesty does go a long way.

Oh and if anyone's wondering, I've read Cathy's book and Brenda's (blackwomenrejoice.com) report. I learnt a lot from both and I haven't had any complaints or maybe I don't know enough and/or haven't experimented enough with hair to know what to criticize yet. I may, once I know more. Oh, and I have not read Shamboosie's book yet.

To learn, one must expose one's mind to as much as possible and select the best info using one's experience or prior knowledge as criterion. So in the end, it's only YOU who will know what's true FOR YOU out of all that you see/hear. We must never believe everything we read to be gospel (unless it's in your Holy Book, whatever it be). So it's wise to take everything with a pinch of salt, "testing it lest you be misled". Would be nice if authors just lived by the motto "The proof be in the pudding". There's no need to jab each other with elbows in the race to success/fame. Together, they are making a positive (we hope) difference. And we are blessed to have their varying points of view at our disposal. Shows someone is thinking and working and paving the way...

BTW, Cathy (if you're reading this), I loved your book, and you are proof that you do know what you are talking about. (Er..
Can I pull your hair and feel your head for tracks please?
Truly I'm just kidding about feeling your hair.
) Let your success/conviction alone be your weapon. That alone goes a long way.

Just my $0.02.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
I could see if she was persecuting True Information. That would be different.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question though is, who determines what's true and what's not true? As people have said, "one man's meat is another man's poison." I can see your analogy but I also know that I can't stand fanatics who try to impose their ideas on me. I'd rather they preach and I listen and decide for myself. Muslims don't believe Jesus is the Son of God. Jews don't believe Jesus is the Messiah. JW's don't believe in the Trinity...and the list goes on. But they (at least those three) are united in the worshipping of God the Creator (I'm pretty sure it's the same One <- my belief).

So whatever I believe, I can present my belief without offending the other religion followers by knocking theirs down. I think I'd get a more receptive audience that way. Witnesses who explain/show their supposedly "correct way" with meekness, kindness, good naturedness (is that a word? I think it should be good nature
) and by praiseworthy example achieve far much more than those who "threaten" (an exaggeration, I know
) or insist everyone else is wrong and they are right.

G

Jen, and Azul, that's not what I meant, though, I should have used another anaogly cause after I typed it, I was convicted that it would be taken the wrong way.

She's not a politician either yet the anaogly was used. I think we're runnin with this again, we have had like what 25 Cathy Howse threads? And it's the same thing.

If that's how you feel that's your opinion your entitled to yours, she's entitled to hers and I mine. It is her website however. The reviews again are not on the news or in her book , if you think dispeling false information is vindictive, then that's how you feel.

We all use her system. If all us on this forum and thousands of others are using her system that speaks of itself.

I suspect that is why she started the research and book in the first place beacause of the myths and false info that caused her hair loss, so you may see it as jabbin I and others may see it as making sure this false infomation is made known false.

I almost got hooked up with Pyramid Company beacuse of thier literature and books and at the meeting they sound good (hype) if someone had not told me about the fraud scheme and what they don't tell you in thier books, I would have been caught in that mess.

So, it's good if people that see false statements make it known. It could help someone.

This is nothing more than a "Is the Glass Half Full or Half Empty" type thing.

G

Sorry, Nonnie yes that was review from a customer that read the book.

Taken from Amazon dot com !

SVT

Poster: Mindymouse
[ QUOTE ]

We all use her system. If all us on this forum and thousands of others are using her system that speaks of itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and thousands more DON'T use her system. That speaks of itself also.

pebbles

I definately don't agree that everyone on this forum uses her system. There are many here who never opened her book or ever heard of anything she had to say, yet were caring for their hair in a way that is similar to what Cathy recommends. Cathy Howes may have been the first to put it in a book, but there have been women who understood the basic need of black hair long before she wrote it all down. Example: my great aunt. She has been saying to her family members for decades that we need to wash our hair more and do deep conditioning treatments more often to help hair grow.

No-one paid any attention to her because they all assumed since she had long hair, she could do whatever she wanted to her hair and it would grow back, but she always insisted that it was the way she took care of her hair that made the difference. It wasn't until I started following the Cathy Howes method for myself that I realized my aunt knew what she had been saying all along. She may never have had any interest in marketing her way of taking care of her hair, but if she could figure it out, I'm 100% certain that others figured it out too.

What's important to understand is that Cathy Howes does not have the market cornered on how to care and grow black hair long. Yes, she definately deserves recognition for taking the time to do the research and educating as many black women, (such as myself), that are willing to hear her message and take her advice, but it would be folly not to acknowledge that there are other methods people used to grow their hair that did work for them. I daresay that if at least one person had not benefited from what Shamboosie had to say, there is no way he would have become famous enough for Cathy Howes to critique today.

Cathy's main flaw continues to be how she communicates, not so much what she says. If she could refute the negative things people say in a professional manner, no-one would mind it. People would be more inclined to listen to what she has to say. Her manner continues to put people off, whether folks want to believe it or not.

Had my mother or I followed what my great aunt always preached, who knows how long my hair would have been by now.... And I can tell you with 100% certainty that until my great aunt passed at the age of 93 with hair almost to her waist 7 years ago, she never heard of Cathy Howes at all.

Jubilee

I agree with you Pebbles. There are many people who have grown their hair long without following the Cathy Howse system.
For example: Carolyn Gray, Sassyfemale 2002 (her hair is to her waist and she uses no-lye relaxers and washes it once every four weeks), Caramella and many others.

G

Well, that's all I'm saying Pebbles is that most people did'nt have the insight your Aunt had. And when I say we all use her system, I mean "moisture balance" not the products, not the book. "moisture balance"

And if she was the first to put this in writing and others followed, no matter whose method people use, it's all based on her method. No she does'nt have a corner on everything I have learned some things that she did'nt cover from here and elsewhere. I'm strictly talking about Moisture Balance System.

Now contrary to the moisture balance system I also have a Great Aunt, that's 101 (in Georgia) always and still does have waist lenght hair her regimine - wash once a month and wore a bun everyday for 60+ years. I think they used grease but definitely no moisturizing conditioners or daily moisturizers. So there are exceptions and hair is funny.

But we know that the majority of Black Folk, benefit from the Moisture Balance system which before her book, not many knew. And SVT your right there are still thousands that have not heard, I mean even the hairdresser that trim my ends the other day make those same old backward statements that I know to be false now, like "now that you've trimmed, your hair will grow"

I'm not saying that everything in Shamboosie book is false, in fact I really still need to finish the darn thing (neither is she).

But High Heat, and trimmin helps hair grow?

Stormy

[ QUOTE ]
One of the problem that Cathy has is her tendency to make her conclusions based on her personal experience. Just because a technique works for her doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! I remember another post once re: Cathy and a member stated that her method works for everyone! lol! I just laughed at that and went on to another post. I figured the person just didn't know any better. Can't remember who that was, but the person sounded like a HUGE Cathy Howse advocate!
Her tone is too petty for me. She even gets defensive on her Q&A list.

You can get some good tips from just about all of these hair books, brochures, websites, etc...you just have to do what works for you.

G

Stormy that must have been me..

Yeah, come to think of it was and this board is proof positive that the moisture balance system works for everyone.

That's all we talk about here. Moisture, moisture, moisture.

pebbles

Oh, I'm not talking about her products or her books either. I'm specifically referring to what she calls her "Moisture Balance System".

I respectfully disagree with the statement that: "...And if she was the first to put this in writing and others followed, no matter whose method people use, it's all based on her method." If you want to believe that, I respect that, but I don't believe this statement to be true. I cannot say that a majority of black woman know her or have ever heard of her work, so again, I cannot say that if they practice hair care similar to hers, it's based on her system. I know that we may never agree about this Mindymouse, but I just wanted to give you my view of this issue.

G

[ QUOTE ]
There are many people who have grown their hair long without following the Cathy Howse system.
For example: Carolyn Gray, Sassyfemale 2002 (her hair is to her waist and she uses no-lye relaxers and washes it once every four weeks), Caramella and many others.

[/ QUOTE ]

All Moisture Balance Right?

I think you all are confusing her conditioner and dew (products) with the actual concept. Moisture Balance.

Integrity

i agree pebbles, cathy method include MORE than just moisture each day theory. so if i found out moisturising constantly helps my hair grow i am not necessarily using 'Cathy's system' as if the moisture theory is patented or something. her programme is very specific, from the way hair to combed to what products to use....

G

Thanks Pebbles I understand what your saying. Its ok to disagree. Agreeably

I guess I just see it as if Nabisco was the first to make an Oreo, no matter how many make chocalte cookies with cream in the middle, or what they call it, it's an Oreo concept.

That's just how I see it.

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Pebbles I understand what your saying. Its ok to disagree. Agreeably

I guess I just see it as if Nabisco was the first to make an Oreo, no matter how many make chocalte cookies with cream in the middle, or what they call it, it's an Oreo concept.

That's just how I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Ok, I see where you're coming from.

G

Taken from UBH Website:

Hair Growth: is it real for the Black woman?

When I started researching and writing about black hair growth in 1985 there was NOT 1 book out there on the market that even approached the subject on growing black hair. Now in the past couple of years, every hairdresser out there, not to mention models as well as consumers want to tell you how to grow some hair.

Was it some big secret that they were hiding before and now they want to help us?
If they knew how to grow us some hair before, why were they hiding it from us?
Have they finally decided to unlock this mystery for us or have they just given us more "traditional methods" like the ones that have not worked in the past??

My research and experience reveals why we have to "break tradition" in order for us to have hair. If tradition worked, we would already have long hair! One of the things I found out in 1985 was that our information was very lacking in adequacy and accuracy. Now this wealth of knowledge comes from so many sources; books, websites, hair chat rooms etc. Sharing information has certainly made us smarter! On the other hand, accuracy is still an issue. Therefore, having perfected a system of hair growth and proven it over 15 years, <font color="red"> I continue to police this new found phenomenon.