Can you use a semi-permanent over a semi-perm?

annieb

I had a professional semi-permanent done at my salon (Curve in Brooklyn, NY which I can't recommend enough!) 6 weeks ago and I ended up with more of a magenta redthan the the deep auburn I was looking for. It's a vegetable dye so it was safe after my relaxer but frankly I'm sick of it even tho I've washed my hair every week (sometimes 2x week) and it still hasn't come out completely. I guess that has to do with how porous my hair is - she said it might take at least 12 shampoos to get it out depending on my hair. Is it possible to do a sem-perm over another one or just be patient and wait for it completely to wash out? I'm dying to get my hairthe color I really want, a dark golden auburn. Btw, do semi-perm colors come in lighter shades? I was told that if I wanted to go lighter, I would have to do perm which I don't want to do. Thanks for info and I'm glad to be a new member here! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi annieb! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

You can speed up the process of removing a semi-permanent that you don't love by using one of two products. The first (and the one I recommend trying first) is called Metalex - The Hairdressers First Aid. It's made by Clairol. You can buy it in most beauty supply stores. It's an oil base with polymers in that bind to the color and remove it from you hair as you rinse. You apply it liberally to dry or damp hair and leave it on (with heat if you like) for a half hour and then rinse, shampoo and condition.

The second product has a bit more muscle, but still won't cause any damage - it has no bleach or peroxide - but you should condition well after using it. It's called Uncolor - it's by Clairol. It should also be applied to damp hair, rinsed, and shampooed out and then you should deep condition well. Make sure you get the one specifically designed for semi-permanent colors. There is a formula for permanent color, but it should not be used on relaxed hair. So be careful which one you pick up. The bottle I have is turquoise.

Both products are designed to remove semi-permanent color build up, and remaining semi-permanent color so you can begin with a clean slate if you want to apply a different semi-permanent color.

Next time you get a semi-perm consider one a deep red with a orange or gold base. Sebasitian Redality or Cinnamon are good choices. That will give you the auburn/copper tint you are seeking. The color you got probably had a violet base - which on the "rinse down" as I call it can turn a weird purplish burgundy or pinkish color depending on how light your natural color is.

You will need to use a permanent color if you wish to go much lighter. But I'd try using a different color semi-perm first to see if you can get a color you like and then go perm only if you have to. You CAN have healthy relaxed and colored hair but it's a lot of work - and if you can get the results you seek using a gentler product that is always best.

Semi-permanent colors, unlike permanents, only deposit color into the cuticle and as such do not require peroxide or ammonia to work as they should. In order to go much lighter you must remove a degree of natural color from further within the hair shaft - the cortex - and this requires the stronger chemicals I mentioned before. Chemicals which may or may not react well with your relaxer since it also targets the cortex to do it's job. Between the relaxer and the color the cortex can get quite a work out and your hair will let you know about it if you aren't careful to really take care of it and use the correct formulas.

If you're serious about permanent color give me a shout and I'll let you know the scoop on that. Otherwise I say play it safe and see if you can get the look you want with the semi-permanents. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the great post! That's exactly the color I was looking at (at first) the orangey red but was steered to the "dark cherry" which did come out more purple than I wanted. Follow-up question though - if I change colors now, for example, what will happen to it when I finally get a relaxer in about a month? Does a relaxer strip semi-perm color? Btw, I will definitely stick to semi-perms instead of perm - I thought I might go perm if the semi-perms didn't last but as I said, it seems to be lasting a really long time. I got highlights once at a Dominican salon and instead of "depositing" color, they used straight peroxide and all those bleached areas became frizzy and broke off. Those areas were definitely damaged so I'll shy away from permanent color. I'm sure a cinnamon semi-perm color will do fine.

Back