Can I use neutralizing conditioner to get out relaxer?

silverdrmr

Hello All,

I've been sulfate free for the last 5 weeks and so far so good. I was putting together everything I will need to texlax my hair (transitioning from relaxed), and I realized that I would need to shampoo out the relaxer with the neutralizing shampoo.

My question is, Is the shampoo part really necessary if I have a neutralizing conditioner?

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1. After applying the relaxer for alloted time, rinse out really well.
2. Apply neutralizing conditioner- either French Perm Stabilizer Plus (2.5 ph) or Roux (4.5ph)- my hair seems to prefer Roux but I'm leaning towards French perm for the lower ph.
3. Apply sulfate-free shampoo on top of neutralizing conditioner and massage in really well. Rinse well.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 at least 3 times.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

gymfreak336

You are still going to need shampoo. When you perform a neutralizing reaction, the end products are water and a salt. The shampoo not only helps get the pH back into the range you need to freeze the hair you just realigned into place but it also removes this residue.

MonPetite

Hello All,

I've been sulfate free for the last 5 weeks and so far so good. I was putting together everything I will need to texlax my hair (transitioning from relaxed), and I realized that I would need to shampoo out the relaxer with the neutralizing shampoo.

My question is, Is the shampoo part really necessary if I have a neutralizing conditioner?

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1. After applying the relaxer for alloted time, rinse out really well.
2. Apply neutralizing conditioner- either French Perm Stabilizer Plus (2.5 ph) or Roux (4.5ph)- my hair seems to prefer Roux but I'm leaning towards French perm for the lower ph.
3. Apply sulfate-free shampoo on top of neutralizing conditioner and massage in really well. Rinse well.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 at least 3 times.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

I have to agree. Back when I relaxed I actually washed three times, the third time I left the suds on under a showercap for 5 to 20 minutes depending on how much I felt the relaxer "took" to be sure I ended the processing. It took it 25 minutes to straighten...you can't expect one rinse or quick sit with conditioner will end it. At least not in the very short time many spend washing it out. I know most LHCF ladies know better. :drunk:

prospurr4

Umm...I've never used a neutralizing conditioner. However, I think you need to use a neutralizing shampoo in order to bring down the ph level of your hair. I also recommend a poo with color alarm (I use Proclaim Neu. Shampoo from Sally's--about $4 for 32 oz. bottle.) which helps you know that the relaxer creme has been thoroughly removed from your hair. I usually neutralize twice, allowing the poo to sit for 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.

Last edited:

morehairplease

You are still going to need shampoo. When you perform a neutralizing reaction, the end products are water and a salt. The shampoo not only helps get the pH back into the range you need to freeze the hair you just realigned into place but it also removes this residue.

gym you are such a smarty pants.