can anyone tell me my hair type

nappity

Your hair type looks relaxed.
Seriously- you have pressed or blown your new growth pattern to match your relaxed hair. A better assessment can be made if you take a picture with your new growth unmanipulated.

Last edited:

Amber_moon

We actually need to SEE your hair type in order to type it. We cant type a curl pattern we cant see. Youll need to get some new growth first, at least an inch.

Amber_moon

I don't think you understand. We need to see, NEW GROWTH coming out of your scalp and at least an inch of it. You hair is freshly relaxed in all of these. You will need at least 2-3 months worth of new growth in order to type your hair.

The column "with the pink roller" does not have any new growth in there At least none that I can see. All of your hair is straight right now because it is relaxed.

When the new hair grows out of the scalp, in its natural curl pattern.... then we can type it.

Do you have any photos like that?

okay february 4 with make 3 months since i had a relaxer, my hair is not freshly relaxed and my hair never gets to that nappy stage. when it is wet my new growth is wavy, i guess on thursday when i wash it i will take a picture then. i am a person that take constructive criticism well but i feel like people are taking me as a joke, i am a newbie, and i guess i would have expected more encouragement instead of "are you serious":nono:

nappity

Didn't mean to offend you- but your first post with the enormous pictures showed no new growth and then the one with rollers was even worse because there is not enough hair to type. If that is your hair after 12 weeks post- you need to let it grow out some more- the rollers pictures - I really thought was a joke cause it looked like relaxed hair in a rollerset.

Amber_moon

okay february 4 with make 3 months since i had a relaxer, my hair is not freshly relaxed and my hair never gets to that nappy stage. when it is wet my new growth is wavy, i guess on thursday when i wash it i will take a picture then. i am a person that take constructive criticism well but i feel like people are taking me as a joke, i am a newbie, and i guess i would have expected more encouragement instead of "are you serious":nono:

Well Welcome!

However, just to clarify, I dont think anyone meant any harm, however it is very hard for us to believe that you really thought we could type straight hair. I mean the entire "typing" system is about typing a CURL. And the KIND of curl you have. Thats like putting on shades, and asking us to tell you what color eyes we thought you had.

It just didnt make any sense. Thats why you were getting those kind of replies.

Please take a photo when your curl pattern is more visible. (i.e. freshly washed, UN-STRAIGHTENED hair) We should be able to give you a more accurate reading then ok?

its okay i am just getting new to this, and i just thought that LHCF is a place where women unite together to reach that ultimate goal, of pretty, thick, long, healthy hair. so i guess i will go another month and maybe that will be enough time where you all will be more help to me. so no hard feelings, i was just appalled by that comment. but im okay, i still will take alot of everyone's suggestions to give my hair a complete 360 degree turn around!!!!

aloof one

its okay i am just getting new to this, and i just thought that LHCF is a place where women unite together to reach that ultimate goal, of pretty, thick, long, healthy hair. so i guess i will go another month and maybe that will be enough time where you all will be more help to me. so no hard feelings, i was just appalled by that comment. but im okay, i still will take alot of everyone's suggestions to give my hair a complete 360 degree turn around!!!!

Just don't straighten your hair and take a pic.

Obviously its not naturally straight if you're relaxing it and rollersetting it. Maybe you got the dates wrong from your last relaxer? If you really did 2 months ago, you could have about an inch and a half of NG.

Amber_moon

Well, learning your hair type isnt the only way to get help for your hair on this board. As a matter of fact, learning your hair type is pretty irrelevant compared to other things.

Also, if you have three months of new growth up there, you should at have enough to type as long as its visible. Whenever you wash your hair next snap a few photos at a few different angles of you scalp and post here.... somebody should be able to help you out.

Just don't straighten your hair and take a pic.

Obviously its not naturally straight if you're relaxing it and rollersetting it. Maybe you got the dates wrong from your last relaxer? If you really did 2 months ago, you could have about an inch and a half of NG.

last relaxer was 11/13/2007, i always write it down, my hair is really growing slow right now, due to the winter months. but once it gets warmer, it will grow a lot faster.

Welcome caramelcutie! We want you to feel welcome here. With time you will learn your hairtype as you work with your new growth. Just focus now on proper hair care ,keeping your moisture balance and staying away from heat. The rest of the knowledge will come with time. Enjoyed your Fotki. You do a great job on your rollersets!

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Welcome! I thought you were joking to at first too :) No one was trying to be rude at all. Just let your hair grow out a little more, wash it, then take your pic(s). Hopefully in the next few we can assist you with typing your hair. :yep:

SimpleKomplexity

If it makes you feel any better lool I've been on here for 2 months and I still dunno what type my hair is lool! I know it's in the 4s somewhere....:perplexed But along with my million questions....these ladies have taken me in and my hair is doing better day by day! Just read the newbie articles moisturize and watch your hair grow!! You don't HAVE to know your type right now! Happy growing!