Calling KINKY TWIST wearers.....Past and Present

brownsugarflyygirl

Thanks for reading my thread. I want to attempt to do my own kinky twists that look kinda natural....but I have some questions.

What kind of hair do you use? Where did you purchase it and for how much per pack?

What if any treatment do you do to the weave?

What if any products do you use while twisting (gels, pomades, etc.)?

How do you "seal" the twists?

How do you "attach" the hair to your hair at the beginning of the twists?

Do you have any other tips suggestions for me, lessons learned, etc.?

Are you aware of any tutorials or detailed threads about this?

Do you have any pics that you would like to share?

I appreciate your help ladies...LHCF empowers the DIYer inside of me :grin:

scarcity21

Thanks Scarcity. I think I scared people away with all my questions :look:

Ill check out Sareca's fotki now...thanks for letting me know.

No problem Brown...

What kind of hair do you use? Where did you purchase it and for how much per pack? I just use the synthetic marley braid..i have the natural puffs but dont know how to use those things...lol...the marley braids are $5.99/pk at the BSS

What if any treatment do you do to the weave? i dont but next time ill soak in water and vinegar per C&G

What if any products do you use while twisting (gels, pomades, etc.)? i only use moisturiser like Scurl or haiwaiin silky

How do you "seal" the twists? i twist to the end and let it hang...no knots...no burns (hate the smell of burnt hair and it tends to linger) some ppl use cold rods and dip in boiling hot water

How do you "attach" the hair to your hair at the beginning of the twists? i start of with braids (3 sections of hair)...till about 1 in then twist the rest of the hair

Do you have any other tips suggestions for me, lessons learned, etc.? treat as u would ur regular hair...wash, DC, baggy whateva u do when no extensions are in ur hair

Are you aware of any tutorials or detailed threads about this? Sareca's fotki

Do you have any pics that you would like to share? my fotki

I appreciate your help ladies...LHCF empowers the DIYer inside of me :grin:

ME TOO!

mscocoface

Hi there,

I think I have used most of the hair on the market with the exception of one that is a little more flowy, I think it is human. Trying to find the link that showed it because I want to get some.

Starting kinky twists is just like starting a braid. You have to braid a small section into your hair at the top, then split your own hair between the two sides then start twisting.

I use a gel or aloe vera gel with my twists and a daily spritz to keep it them moist.

I don't have any tutorials but I have a few different styles of how I have worn my twits. One thing I do now is I don't place hair on the front of my head. My edges have mad attitude so I do flat twists or cornrows in the front. Let me know if you have any more questions.

caramelty

What kind of hair do you use? Where did you purchase it and for how much per pack?

Marley Brand Hip Hop Style

I didn't in the past but this is what I am doing right now as I type.
I soak in ACV and rub with carrot oil before putting the hair in.

I us elasta QP Mango Butter on the ends of my hair and I oil my scalp with pure Sulfur grease.

I don't seal my twist I like the look of just letting it go. I twist till the end.

I also start with a braid then start twisting.

Practice makes perfect. I can't really suggest anything b/c this was my first time doing them myself. I just grabbed the hair and went for it. I did mine at the park with no mirror or anything and I got it. So I know anyone can do it.

No not really.

I have pics in my fotki. I will be redo-ing my twist this weekend so I will try to post pics to make a tutorial.

Hope I can help.

I am starting to love my twist. Especially when I can spend 20 bucks and it last me over a month for a hair style.

berry87

Wow thats some great info ladies! I want to attempt it as well. I usually go to the African salon to get them in for $60 +$20 for the hair so this will save me money! Thnaks for starting the thread brownsugarflyygirl, and all those who responded!:grin:

Bumping !

kiesha8185

Hi Brownsugarflygirl! I hope this info helps...

The hair for my kinky twists is toyokalon and kanekalon, it's a part of the Femi collection and the item name is Afro soul bulk. It costs about $7 a pack. The only place I ever bought mine was in Gainesville in a place called Archer Beauty, for some reason when I get it from other places, it's in different packaging, and the hair is not as soft.
You mean before I put it in? I don't do anything to it....is that bad lol
I wash my hair once a week. I shampoo with Motions Lavishing, focusing on the scalp. I condition (while I shower) with Motions as well, focusing on my ends. I airdry my hair. I moisturize once a week, on the day that I wash and condition, after my hair is completely dry. I use NTM Silk Touch Leave-in mixed with Fermodyl 619 to water it down. My hair stays moisturized until I'm ready to wash again.
I'm not really sure what you mean by sealing them, so correct me if I'm wrong. I don't do my own twists, this girl in Gainesville does it, and she's the only other person I let in my hair :look: but she is great. When she twists it, the hair just stays, it doesn't unravel.
This is really hard to explain. Even though I don't do my own twists, I re-do the perimeter once a month or so (or as needed) to keep my hair looking decent since I leave them in for 4 months at a time. I just grab the hair in both hands, then put it close to my scalp and grab one piece of real hair, then braid as if it were three pieces of my own hair. Sorry I know that probably doesn't make any sense lol I know there is a dvd out there that can teach you if you need something visual. But I braid the beginning, maybe 1/2 inch, then twist the remainder.
DO NOT PULL YOUR HAIR UP TOO TIGHT! I learned this the hard way. I really messed up my hairline the first two times I did them cuz I always wore my hair up in a ponytail, which isn't bad, I just did it way too tight. Just do not put too much stress on your hairline, if you feel it pulling, loosen the pony. Or try to wear the hair down.
And after removing the twists, comb out your hair before you shampoo.
No...sorry :ohwell:
http://public.fotki.com/Kiesha8185/kinky_twists/
Here is the link to my fotki album, I tried uploading them, but for some reason, it's not working. I hope this helps, and feel free to pm me if you have any other questions!

scarcity21

Scarcity, you do your own kinky twists? How long do they take you? I think I might try it on my hair.

Sorry Bmore...i forgot about this thread...lol
but yes...i do mine now...used to go to a braider but not anymore....it takes me about 7-8 hrs....u should try it...if u have any questions let me know:):)

brownsugarflyygirl

Thanks ladies. Im going to schedule a day to try them myself. This information was very helpful. Thanks for all the details and advice.

I tried to find the tutorial in Sarecas fotki but didnt see it. Can someone give me a direct link?