Calling All No-Lye Relaxer girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shinyblackhair

I just wanted to ask you all: Why do you choose this over a Lye relaxer? What have you found the benefits to be?

I am thinking that I'm going to go back to no-lye as I'm getting pretty tired of my hair getting so unmanagable so soon after relaxing. At first I liked the texturizer effect that I got from the lye relaxer, but my hair is just to thick and bushy for that. It's not cute anymore. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that Lye is so strong and dangerous, yet my hair doesn't turn out nearly as straight as with a no-lye...this is becoming annoying. I feel the difference on my scalp (it sort of tingles for a few days after relaxing) yet, my hair looks like nothing happened

Why do YOU choose a no-lye over a lye relaxer?

Thanks in advance

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I've actually never use a lye relaxer but after reading posts on this board, I was going to try the Elucence mild lye.. but I have fine hair that straightens really easily. I never used lye before because my mother told me years ago when I was little that lye will make your hair fall out.. which is B.S. I was going to try lye because it's suppose to be easier on the hair.. I just don't know what to do to be honest with you.

shinyblackhair

Well it seems to be a catch 22, because Lye is harsh on the scalp, but not so much so on the hair(?) and no-lye is easier on the scalp, but can dry out the hair. {{Sigh}}

KinksnCurlz

I've never tried a lye relaxer. In any event, my scalp is supersensitive (as is my skin) so i've always opted for the no-lye/sensitive.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Right..the catch 22..but I figured..for me..because I have fine, hair that is fragile..that I should maybe use a lye..I thought that I rather be more gentle on my hair..ya know.. I just don't know what to do.. then I thought about a texturizer..but I would have to go for a long time w/o a relaxer to do that.. which I maybe could.. I never tried.. never thought about trying till I found this board.. I'm so confused..LOL

LuLu

Re: Calling All No-Lye Relaxer girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking of going back, I miss the fact that I used to be able to relax my whole head at once and it came out straight, and now I do it in halves because I burn and it's still not straight...I might go back to mizani sensitive scalp.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
CH - what do you use? Do you self-relax?

[/ QUOTE ]

When i self-relaxed i used optimum no-lye (overprocessed hell)

Now, i got 2 the salon and the last 3xs i used Affirm sensitive no-lye - EXCELLENT

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
So what lye relaxer do you think is more gentle.. Elucence mild or Mizani mild??

Or maybe I should try the Elucence Sensitive or the Mizani sensitive.. this sucks..

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
CH - what do you use? Do you self-relax?

[/ QUOTE ]

When i self-relaxed i used optimum no-lye (overprocessed hell)

Now, i got 2 the salon and the last 3xs i used Affirm sensitive no-lye - EXCELLENT

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know if your hair is overprocessed?

shinyblackhair

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
How do you know if your hair is overprocessed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably when there's more hair in your bathroom sink than on your head after styling! LOL...just kidding...but, I do think a major sign of overprocessing would be breakage.

Cleo

SBH, I chose no-lye because my scalp is sensitive and lye irritates my scalp. (I've had lye touch-ups about 10 times) I've been using no-lye for so long that I decided since it wasn't causing me any problems I would continue to use it and simply make sure I deep condition with every wash. I also moisturize daily as needed.

Isis

I've only used no-lye, mainly out of habit. Since no-lye is supposed to be more drying to our hair, I make extra sure my hair is moisturized at all times, i.e. washing twice each week and deep conditioning each time with a moisturizing conditioner like Humectress. I learned this since coming to LHCF.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I used a lye relaxer back when I studied Cosmetology 18 years ago. Let me tell 'ya, it burned my scalp like heck. And I had my hair done with an asymetrical haircut on top of that. After all of that, I'm back to using no-lye. My hair feels that it has body, because it's fine in texture. I also deep condition once a week, and moisturize daily. To me, the lye relaxers are harsh and rough to the hair.

My favs are Johnson's Gentle Treatment, African Pride No-Lye, and At One Sensitive Scalp No-Lye Relaxer. I often switch from one brand to the next to see if it'll work with my hair. One must do well like the other, I always say. Toodles. </font>

Truth

I would say mainly out of habbit... My mom always used a no lye relaxer on my hair when she did it.. and now that I do my own ..I jus tend to get the no-lye kind... *shrugs* never really put to much thought into it.

UmSumayyah

Lye didn't get my hair as straight, and left it kind of dull looking compared to African Pride, which always left it with shine. Lye also took some of the natural color out of my hair, which no-lye never did.
And I can get African Pride at nearly any drug or grocery store, which is an added plus.

Lindy

I choose no-lye over lye because I've been using no-lye for years, (Affirm Mild/Sensitive Scalp) and my stylist says that no-lye works well for my hair, and that I shouldn't change.
Also, my scalp is sooo sensitive... lye would probably mess me up baaaad!!!!

B

ballet_bun

This is a good thread. It was nice to read everyones responses. I'm seriously thinking about switching back to No-Lye for a number of reasons now.

shinyblackhair ... Let us know which kind of relaxer you end up choosing, and if you like.

<font color="pink"> Ballet Bun ... </font>

shinyblackhair

Well, honestly I'm leaning towards African Pride. I've already gotten several good reviews (Nay007 likes this one) and other good reviews within this thread.

My next relaxer will be in May, which is sooner than my usual 3 month wait. I would do it now if I could but, will wait it out.

shinyblackhair

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
I choose no-lye over lye because I've been using no-lye for years, (Affirm Mild/Sensitive Scalp) and my stylist says that no-lye works well for my hair, and that I shouldn't change.
Also, my scalp is sooo sensitive... lye would probably mess me up baaaad!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd been using no-lye for years as well. I have only been using the lye for the last 3 relaxers that I've done.

nita4

I had used Cream of Nature no-lye for years and it worked well for me. Then I found this forum and switched to lye. My problem is that I have thin hair, a mild lye underprocesses my hair big time. You have a guessing game with lye, what strength, how long, which relaxer, etc. When I used the mild no-lye, I put it in did my 30 minutes and I was done. Perfect every time, not bone straight, but not underprocessed. I did this every 8 weeks like clock work, blew it dry, used my curling iron that one time and I was good for the week. I am considering making that switch back because it's easier. I think I can remedy the dry hair problem with what I've learned here.

shinyblackhair

[ QUOTE ]
nita4 said:
I think I can remedy the dry hair problem with what I've learned here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I think so too.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Now I'm thinking that I should just stick to the no-lye after reading the last few responses.. I do like African Pride..that one got my hair super straight..but I don't have to keep it in that long at all.. but I should be using a mild one.. does A.P. make a mild no-lye relaxer?

pink_flower

SBH-

I use African Pride! I love it. For your orginally questions, I never used lye. Even when I was going to a salon on a regualr basis, she used affirm no lye. My hair grows just the same.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
nita4 said:
I think I can remedy the dry hair problem with what I've learned here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.
That's what I'm doing- using no-lye and keeping my hair moisturized all of the time.