Burning...Hair stuck to scalp HELP!!!!!!!!

Zuppy

My scalp is still burning and the hair around my edges are stuck to my HEAD!!!

I got a relaxer Sunday - what should I do - should I wash it - or just put some oils to sooth it? I tried some pure aloe but that just made the hair more stiff - and it stung..

Also.. do you think the hair stuck to my head means the relaxer was not completely washed out??

This is what happened.... I washed & Cond on Thursday. Pulled the hair back in a pony slapped two kinds a gel - I have THICK 4b hair and was about 10 weeks into my relaxer (it takes a lot to slick that stuff back) I used mostly QP glaze and some of that black gel around the edges with a little tooth brush. I wore my hair like this almost everyday until Sunday.. Sunday I got up and had had enough of the my hair and decided to go over to The Dubie Palace (Dominican shop). The person applying the relaxer asked if I had put gel I said yes..and that was it. WELL>>>before she was done applying all the relaxer my whole head was on fire. I held out for a while.. she wanted to leave it in for 3 more min.. but I couldn't take it. The washer washed it out...
boy did it burn. She conditioned... washed it out... than the setter began to set my hair...she said "Mommie..the next time you come you must get a touch up!!!!!!!!!!!" I said
"what I just got a touch up today" They all began speaking spanish - then they told me - I should not have gotten a touch-up with the gel in my hair. They told me the perm won't take. And from my pain - I see it will Burn the heck out of you too!

As much as I'm on this board I should have known better..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

aqualung

I'd jump in the shower for a thorough neutralizing shampoo. It takes several thorough and generous shampoos and rinses to stop the relaxer, and it sounds like your Dominican friends may have been a little stingy with it. I don't know what affect the gel had on the relaxer.

You're going to want to apply Neosporin to your scalp to help it recover faster from the chemical.

I can't speak from personal experience, but some of the ladies do NOT go to Dominican salons for touchups, just for washes and rollersets. The language barrier can make it difficult to get the correct service.

Good luck,
Meg

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
I'd jump in the shower for a thorough neutralizing shampoo. It takes several thorough and generous shampoos and rinses to stop the relaxer, and it sounds like your Dominican friends may have been a little stingy with it. I don't know what affect the gel had on the relaxer.

You're going to want to apply Neosporin to your scalp to help it recover faster from the chemical.

I can't speak from personal experience, but some of the ladies do NOT go to Dominican salons for touchups, just for washes and rollersets. The language barrier can make it difficult to get the correct service.

Good luck,
Meg

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and neutralize your hair quickly! These are chemical burns to your scalp!

Bobbie

i just had a similar experience a week ago! the stylist slapped the perm into my scalp and the kitchen BURNED before she got to the crown of my head. she shampooed it a total of 2 times and asked me to come back NEXT WEEK because the relaxer didn't take! "You burn too easily."

Anyway, I was still burning for the next 2 days (and spent thanksgiving touching my scalp). What worked for me is an ACV rinse, make sure to wash your hair right away! If you don't have any neutralizing shampoo, use apple cider vinegar, the acidic rinse neutralizes the base relaxer.
I agree with Megonw on getting neosporin. I used it for the first 2 days and the pain has subsided. Treat like you would a burn on your face. That's exactly what your scalp is going through.
Your hair is sticking to your scalp because of the fluid (sebum) that is leaking from it. The scalp is damaged at that point and needs to be treated immediately.

Here's some info on sebum:
Sebum is also a highly acidic substance which dries on the scalp and causes dandruff. When it is excessively discharged, it clogs and chokes the follicles, preventing draining and gradually causing the cuticle, which holds the hair shaft in place, to be eaten away. It eventually separates from the hair follicle and loosens until the hair shaft falls out. However, because the sebum continues its excessive flow, the damage does not stop with the loss of the individual hair shafts. The scalp can become a bacteria infested mass that will finally destroy the roots. When this occurs, the follicles can no longer support hair growth.

Zuppy

THanks so much for the advise. I just washed with the my Affirm neutralizing shampoo. I have some ACV rinse - I'll do that now.

I love this board!!

Thanks again ladies!!

Nyambura

surfer girl
Ok, I'm going to be the stick in the mud here, lol, and advise you NOT to put apple cider vinegar on your scalp or any other product that will further irritate your wound (like essential oils, even in carrier oil). I've posted a few times recently about the sustained injuries to skin caused by volatile ingredients that have no scientific data supporting their "health" benefits. The products that irritate but have shown no benefit to skin <font color="red"> impair the skin's ability to heal itself.</font> And no, I'm not a physician or a scientist but I do feel duty-bound to share with my fellow LHCF members what I've found.
In my humble opinion, I would suggest the following:

1. A burn is a burn is a burn - whether from chemicals (e.g., relaxer), fire, sunlight, etc.; because you don't know the extent of the damage to your scalp, it's advisable to seek medical attention; just because it's not uncommon for those of us who relax to get burns doesn't mean getting burned should be underplayed/minimized, you know? Eventually, the cumulative damage of a chemically burned scalp could foreseeably lead to permanent hair loss, not to mention consequences that aren't foreseeable.

2. As the ladies before me recommended, any occlusive product, Neosporin, Vaseline, etc. on your scalp will temporarily help. A physician explained to me that the basic function of such a topical ointment is to prevent the air from getting to the burn. However, if you get checked out by a physician, s/he may decide you need something in addition to that.

3. Acetaminophen (like Tylenol), Alleve, or Aspirin may help you deal with the pain (and the swelling).

4. Did I already mention seeking medical attention, lol? Not to make light of it but I want all of us to reach our hair goals in the healthiest state possible.

All of this is said with love and concern.
You don't want to look back with regret at a point in time where you could have taken charge but didn't, to your detriment. I know each member is free to pursue hair care in the means s/he sees fit.

Bobbie

Ooops, sorry about the ACV rinse! I've heard it's good for the hair, not the scalp, if you think there's still relaxer in your hair, I've should've clarified that. (Someone told me to use ACV, but it really irritated my burns, hopefully, we caught you in time, don't want to spread bad advice.)
But like alot of volatile things, it can be risky if it touches your burns, so that neutralizing shampoo is enough.
But do get some neosporin, a burn won't be able to heal well if it is exposed to the air.
Hopefully you can save your hair follicles. Let us know how you're doing.

adrienne0914

sorry about the bad perm, zuppy...

i agree with this advice 100%, nyambura!! the ACV burns my scalp on my best days. i'm sure it's like putting salt on a wound with the burns. usually the hair sticks to the scalp because of the pus caused by the burns. so, as mentioned, Vaseline or other products will help with that...

excellent post all the way around, nyambura!!

Ossie

Hey I have had this experience. I would advise putting some neosporin on the area and once it stops hurting and burning don't try combing or brushing it but gently wash and condition. I feel your pain.

Shana

My beautician use to pour seabreeze on my scalp when I burned. She would never tell me before she did it, and I would tear up and bite my hand after the fact. It burns like hell, but it kept my hair from sticking to my head and scabbing up really bad. I was always mad at the moment, but whenever I would talk her out of it, I regretted it later. I don't have enough discipline to do it on my own hair when I relax my hair on my own. I should start again.

shelli4018

Makes you wonder why in the heck we'd put a burning chemical on our head!! Ouch! I had a touch up earlier this year that burned my head so bad it hurt to wash it. I mean, the drops of water felt like fire. Took days for my scalp to calm down.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
shelli4018 said:
Makes you wonder why in the heck we'd put a burning chemical on our head!! Ouch!

Yes; when you think about it, it really is SAD!!

I had a touch up earlier this year that burned my head so bad it hurt to wash it. I mean, the drops of water felt like fire. Took days for my scalp to calm down.

That happened to me once when I used Mizani No Lye Regular. My scalp was in really bad shape!! Even the wind blowing hurt my scalp!!

[/ QUOTE ]

On a lighter note: Blaxalrose, that pic you have of B. and Jay Z is cute... It looks like he's saying "Dang!!! Is ALL that REALLY mine???!!!"

cybra

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:

Good luck,
Meg

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and neutralize your hair quickly! These are chemical burns to your scalp!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice. I use to work in a salon (1979-1981) and what you are describing is a serious chemical burn. You need to neutralize ASAP. Also, you need to GO BACK TO THE SALON now so they can have a record of the damage that was done. One, this will make them be aware that one the the stylists may need to be monitored, and two, this will make them liable for your hair until it's back to a healthy state. The more time you put between now and going back, the more they can place the blame on you. Also sweetie, let me warn you, you may experience some hair loss as a result of this damage. When you have the hair sticking to your head, this suggest that the papilla has been damaged and is reacting, by sending white blood cells to the site to combate the damage.

In all honesty, sometimes the damage can be permenant, while in some cases it's temporary and will grow back. But get to them right way and let them start treatment on your head to combat as much hair loss as possible.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you

Height

I remember in my permie days it was suggested to apply hydrogen peroxide on the burns. It helps heal and disinfect them.

sterry

This happened to my mom some time ago. She had no chemicals in hair. It was long and flowing.
Unfortunately, the recommended stylist was jealous and did a number on my mother. She ended up chopping off all her pass shoulder length hair.
I wanted to ask if you applied the gel prior to getting a relaxer. Gels are light and wet (containing moisture) and anytime you apply moisture to the head (scalp) it opens up the follicles of the scalp. If this is the case you are definetly going to get burned. This is why it is best if you are going to relax your hair and it gets wet, whether by rain, sweat, leave ins, swimming etc. not to relax hair.
For your scalp treat it with Emu oil to start the healing process. You can also try vitamin E which is known for it healing properties and Neosporin.
Be sure to aid in scalps recovery so that the next time you relax you won't suffer this damage again.

Zuppy

After I washed last night (3times)I DID rinse with ACV and Distilled water - i REALLY wanted to make sure it was out. It did not burn - thank goodness. I conditioned with LUST for about 10 min. Rinsed, put some leave-in and Jojoba oil and put it in a loose ponytail and tied it up with a durag. I do not have any scabs or redness. Today if I touch my sides it feels a little tender.

I'm finally seeing some legnth - so I surly hope I don't loose any hair. I'll handle with care and keep it moisturized. Somehow I am always miserable when I go to the hair salon!
My bf can sure tell ya - I always come out with a frown.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Thanks for the
, Adrienne!

Zuppy, I'm glad the ACV didn't feel like it was burning.
But, unfortunately, it further contributed to the damage your skin was already suffering. It's well-documented scientifically and if you would like the sources, I'd be happy to send them to you. (And by all means - stay away from Sea Breeze!) The irritating and sensitizing effects of many products -including Sea Breeze on scalp burns- serves to keep the skin from healing itself. You want to heal a wound, not exacerbate it. Healing doesn't have to hurt.

The neutralizing shampoo is made to insure the relaxer is totally removed. I like Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo because the lather turns pink if there's any relaxer still in the hair. You'll know it's all been washed out when the lather turns white. (You have to lather up separately for the color changes of course.
.)

If you're always miserable going to the salon, it's definitely time to find another place! (And you can always base your scalp on your own before leaving for the salon for a touchup.)

Good luck, Zuppy, and I'm wishing you a full and speedy recovery!