BSL/MBL 2014 Challenge

lamaria211

My roller set was not such hit. But I did get to wrap it afterwards and I haven't wrapped my hair in over 4 years. So im still happy. I trimmed again but my hair is in great shape now, so im just maintaining till next wash day

ilong

God's Own
Congratulations TheNDofUO

BronxJazzy where do you buy your Hempseed butter?

naturalagain2 - where do you buy your avocado butter?

I want to use more butters in the winter months. I only have shea and want to add some more to my stash. Any suggestions on a good place to purchase butters?

TIA

Dee Raven

Congrats and thanks for the inspiration, Dee Raven! Any photos to share? :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Well, weeks later...here are length check photos I took from today. So a little background, I grew my hair to TBL as of last year. Then January of this year, I chopped the top because I needed to get rid of some heat damage, which left my hair just shy of APL. That's the part that I was growing out for this year's challenge and it looks like it's actually within an inch of waist length, which was a great surprise. I also included the bottom of my hair which I have been maintaining at WSL for most of the year to allow the top to catch up. It's a little past HL. Ya! Time really is hair's best friend.

Attachments

• IMG_3380.jpg
    IMG_3380.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3377.jpg
    IMG_3377.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 161

Duchess007

Well, weeks later...here are length check photos I took from today. So a little background, I grew my hair to TBL as of last year. Then January of this year, I chopped the top because I needed to get rid of some heat damage, which left my hair just shy of APL. That's the part that I was growing out for this year's challenge and it looks like it's actually within an inch of waist length, which was a great surprise. I also included the bottom of my hair which I have been maintaining at WSL for most of the year to allow the top to catch up. It's a little past HL. Ya! Time really is hair's best friend.

Thank you so much for sharing! That is awesome. :)

Duchess007

My roller set was not such hit. But I did get to wrap it afterwards and I haven't wrapped my hair in over 4 years. So im still happy. I trimmed again but my hair is in great shape now, so im just maintaining till next wash day

I did a roller set once... it was... not good. :nono:

ilong

God's Own
Dee Raven - beautiful lenght and your hair looks thick. What is your hair type and regimen?
Would you consider yourself a "fast grower"?
I'm a slow grower - so although I'd love to achieve the lengths - I know it will take YEARS and YEARS.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

Wait, what? You weren't even APL in the beginning of the year and you are grazing WL? :thud: I knew your hair was long, so when you were like "I just made MBL" I was like :huh:

Dee Raven you must have some above average growth! Your hair looks great!

ETA: Reggie, hair type (curl pattern, strand size, porosity if you know 'em) please? :look: :lol:

Last edited:

g.lo

This is crazy growing, please spill all the details!

pearlific1

For those looking for the single BSL 2014 Challenge:

I received a few messages asking for it to be locked or deleted because there were too many BSL threads and it was confusing for subscribers. :ohwell::swearing: I knew this would happen. An update was posted in BSL 2014 before it disappeared informing challengers that thread would be locked and to consider joining a merged challenge. I apologize if the thread was removed before you saw the message.

HHG

sunbubbles

good lord, i need this, sign me up!

~Current hair length: APL
~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: NATURAL
~Goal month: DEC 31ST 2014 11:59PM! :look:
~Current reggie and styling choices: ANYTHING PROTECTIVE W/ THE OCCASIONAL FREE DAY( I.E. BRAIDS.... BRAIDS UNDER WIGS.... MICROBRAIDS.... MORE BRAIDS, LOL.....TWISTS....ETC
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL/MBL?: I WILL BE ADDING PRITEVA VITAMINS
~Post a beginning picture: SOON TO COME! PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS MY AVI

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

Congratulations @TheNDofUO

@BronxJazzy where do you buy your Hempseed butter?

@naturalagain2 - where do you buy your avocado butter?

I want to use more butters in the winter months. I only have shea and want to add some more to my stash. Any suggestions on a good place to purchase butters?

TIA
I got my hempseed butter from ebay. But you can get it from Camden grey. They have lots of different butters including avocado butter.

Dee Raven

Wait, what? You weren't even APL in the beginning of the year and you are grazing WL? :thud: I knew your hair was long, so when you were like "I just made MBL" I was like :huh:

Dee Raven you must have some above average growth! Your hair looks great!

ETA: Reggie, hair type (curl pattern, strand size, porosity if you know 'em) please? :look: :lol:

I know I was really sad when I had to cut it. Well, I was happy to have my hair back because I couldn't do wngs or really enjoy my natural hair out, but I was sad when I realized how much I had cut off. And I cut it myself and didn't know what I was doing, so I hacked off more than necessary. My mom was with me and she at one point was like just stop cutting, Dee. :perplexed This is why I definitely say, rule of thumb, if you are planning on having long hair, make your decisions today that will result in the hair you want in two years from now because that hair will still be with you.

Dee Raven - beautiful lenght and your hair looks thick. What is your hair type and regimen?
Would you consider yourself a "fast grower"?
I'm a slow grower - so although I'd love to achieve the lengths - I know it will take YEARS and YEARS.

This is crazy growing, please spill all the details!

The Details...
Hair type:
I'm primarily 4a with a patch of 3c at the very top of my hair, fine, dense hair, very low porosity except for the patch of 3c. My hair has average growth, 6 inches a year. But I'm also short. From APL to MBL on me is 5.5 inches, which can be done in a year.
Hair Reggie:
I have a very simple reggie. Once a week I put coconut oil and conditioner (usually a cheap one, but occasionally I'll use a mask or some other deep conditioner). I leave it in for 30 mins to whenever I feel like washing my hair, then detangle with denman in the shower (because I have so many strands, this is a must or my hair will knot more because of unremoved shed hair). I don't really co-wash, I just brush the conditioner that's already in the hair out. And as necessary (maybe once a month) a will shampoo my scalp. I don't have favorite products anymore, they all really do the same thing. But I have been enjoying Nioxin #5 Cleanser shampoo because it gets the scalp really clean and gives a little tingle. It's on the pricier side, but as rarely as I use it, I think I could have the bottle for at least 2 years.
Styling:
I have 2 go to styles which I feel like I've perfected this year. One is a modified wash-n-go. My hair is super coily, so I can't do a straight wash-n-go without it shrinking to my ears and getting in all kinds of knots. So what I do is, put all the leave-in product in then put the hair in 6 loose twists overnight. It leaves me with a stretched wng. The other style I've been doing is a braidout with 6 braids (my hair is really fine, I could probably even get away with just 4 braids). So they're very similar styles and take less than 30 minutes once a week to do. Ya! For happy hair, I will restyle during the middle of the week, but if I'm lazy, I'll put it in a loose ponytail or bun and call it a day. And I pineapple at night. I've flat-ironed my hair once this year. May do it again around Christmas.
Hair Maintenance:
Trims
I trim my hair in general twice a year around 1/2 inch. I do it myself, I haven't been to a salon in 3 years and it is my #1 recommendation to anyone trying to grow their hair out. Stylists make more money off of you with short, dyed hair.
Protein
So like I mentioned before, I don't have favorite products, they're all interchangeable imo, with the exception of Lush's Henna Rouge. As a fine-haired person, I try to henna my hair every 3 - 6 months. It is a process, a long and messy process so it's definitely not for everyone. But I have tried many types of henna and other protein dcs over my 7 years being a natural and this product is without competition for my hair. It leaves the hair feeling both extra strong AND extra moist/soft, which if you've ever done a henna treatment you know is like an oxymoron. I've also heard that henna helps maintain the ends of the hair longer, and looking at my growth this year, I can't disagree.

So that's it. Very simple. HHJ.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^Thanks Dee Raven for that very detailed post! Excellent inspiration. :notworthy: I'm fine haired as well and only trim about three times a year, but I also ps 100% in twists pinned up, so I feel like there's hope. I'm also going to look into this Lush henna.

You should post this update in the original fine hair thread. :yep:

coolsista-paris

i will be back friday with more information AND a new starting pic ( im relaxing my virgin bsb hair this friday) . im gonna have to start off a new reggie i guess....

im scared and excited. i might have to cut ( damage) but we will see what the stylist says( she is not into cutting and prefers repairing).. at least she is not scissor happy!

FRIDAY IM BACK WITH NEW RELAXED PICS AND DETAILS.
wish me luck

coolsista-paris

DeeRaven: very beautiful hair! and wooooow thats amazing growth. lucky you! congrats.

and yeah indeed you should post in the original fine hair thread ;-) it will help and inspire many

MayaNatural

I was placing a order with Vitacost for Teas and I searched Hemp Seed Butter.. They have the attached Hemp Seed Butter, can I use this on my hair? It's 100% raw organic hemp seeds but I do not want to attract ants or anything while I sleep LOL!!

Attachments

• image-2327376859.jpg
    image-2327376859.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 30

ilong

God's Own
@pearlific1 - thank you for coming in here and clearing up the confusion. Sorry the thread/challenge was deleted. It had some great momentum and lots of challengers signed up.

Last edited:

g.lo

I think I had a growth spurt, Beginning of the month I remember pulling the front of my hair and it was barely reaching my bottom lip, and yesterday while moisturising I thought my hair looked much longer, so I pulled the same spot and it reached my chin

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

I think I had a growth spurt, Beginning of the month I remember pulling the front of my hair and it was barely reaching my bottom lip, and yesterday while moisturising I thought my hair looked much longer, so I pulled the same spot and it reached my chin

i need a growth spurt too! im gonna br cutting some length off normally, due to damage :-(

MayaNatural

I would love to join this challenge.

I'm 5'2 and currently APL
Natural as of 2/17/12
Goal Month- June

Current Reggie-
Wash, Deep Condition, Tea/Oil Rinse and Style once a week. Protein Treatments every 2 weeks because my hair is now colored. Steam weekly and GHE 3x or more per week. My current styles are Braid Outs, Twists and roller sets.

My plan is to trim my ends every 4-6 months, add Ayurvedic powders into my reggie and take my time detangling weekly. I'm debating if I will keep coloring my hair or grow it out and try Henna.

Attachments

• image-939319945.jpg
    image-939319945.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 60

PureSilver

Are you sure this is the challenge for you Dee Raven. My word your hair is lovely. Thanks for the inspiration pics.

PureSilver

Current hair length - I have no idea
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd - newly Rexlaxed
Goal month - June 2014
Current reggie and styling choices: M&S daily, Daily bunning....high or low
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to BSL/MBL? - Adding Aphogee products to my regimen and more vitamins, M & S daily wash weekly (started already)

Post a beginning picture - will post a pick on Friday

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I'm in….Haven't retained a single inch this year. :ohwell: I been trimming like crazy. I need to hide the scissors. So yet again my goal for Dec 2014 is BSL.