Split Ends ......

Lucky's Mom

How to Get Rid of Split Ends

By eHow Fashion, Style & Personal Care Editor
Step1
Keep brushing to a minimum since it promotes breakage. Brushing wet hair is a definite no-no; use a wide-toothed comb when hair is wet.
Step2
Strive for low-maintenance hair. Hair dryers, curling irons, perms and hair colors all damage hair. If you must blow-dry, use a cool setting and keep the dryer 6 inches (15 cm) from your hair.
Step3
Protect your hair from extreme weather. Wear a hat on sunny days and keep hair well moisturized in the dry winter months.
Step4
Apply a leave-in conditioner or pomade to the ends of your hair daily to keep them strong.
Step5
Snip away any split ends you spot. Cut at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) above the split. A split end will split the hair all the way up to the scalp, so snip it as soon as you spot it.
Step6
Schedule a trim with your hairstylist if you start seeing a lot of split ends.

</SPAN>

MizzBrown

Cut at least ONE INCH above the split? :nono:That's too much! That's progress. I'll treat those ends first and dust them. Not cutting that much....That's why we cant retain length...

Ivie184

Cut at least ONE INCH above the split? :nono:That's too much! That's progress. I'll treat those ends first and dust them. Not cutting that much....That's why we cant retain length...

Exactly!!! I used to do that a lot and would wonder why my hair wasn't getting longer than shoulder/collarbone. I was also cutting off perfectly, healthy ends as well :nono:

Jadore_tay

Exactly!!! I used to do that a lot and would wonder why my hair wasn't getting longer than shoulder/collarbone. I was also cutting off perfectly, healthy ends as well :nono:

ITA thats way too much! this is the reason y i am the one of the few people in my family who don't have wasitlength hair by now

onejamifan

Wow that's a lot!! I just spent the last hour cutting off the splits of less than a 1/8 of my head... (yeah, I have that many) I only snipped the open/white tips, but I guess I need to get a real trim then. 1 whole inch? There goes my WL by end of summer challenge :wallbash:...

Jazala

Step5
Snip away any split ends you spot. Cut at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) above the split. A split end will split the hair all the way up to the scalp, so snip it as soon as you spot it.

Here's another perspective from a well known author:

"Just like the trimming to produce growth myth, there also is no evidence to my knowledge to substantiate that the absence of trimming hair ends will make it split all the way up the hair shaft. Split ends do not break evenly. Should your hair ends be split, common sense tells you it will break and tear off to the side before it would evenly split up the hair shaft. On the other hand, if your entire hair shaft is so badly damaged that there is a possibility that it can split from end to end, which is very unlikely, trimming the ends off will be of little significance anyway!"

miami74

Yeah, that is so true. It's always been my problem in the pass. I was always stuck at square one every time I relaxed and got a trim. My stylist would trim 1 inch or more. Not any more!

InnerSoul

"Just like the trimming to produce growth myth, there also is no evidence to my knowledge to substantiate that the absence of trimming hair ends will make it split all the way up the hair shaft. Split ends do not break evenly. Should your hair ends be split, common sense tells you it will break and tear off to the side before it would evenly split up the hair shaft. On the other hand, if your entire hair shaft is so badly damaged that there is a possibility that it can split from end to end, which is very unlikely, trimming the ends off will be of little significance anyway!"

:sekret:
I know who the author is... and I love her knowledge on hair care!

ladylibra

IA with what she said cuz my splits don't get past the first bend in my coils, but i will still trim/dust when i see splits. if it has split up part of the shaft and broken off, it could split again and keep splitting/breaking bit by bit up the shaft. i just don't want my hair breaking off to where i don't notice it at the time, but look back a year later and wonder why i didn't retain as much length as i could have. :look:

ITA with this. i cut right above the split... if i had to measure i doubt it's more than 1/4 inch i take off.