Brown Protein Styling Gel Treatment?

nikolite

I'm a 4A (I think?) natural whose just discovered protein treatments. Been natural for 5 yrs after BC, but I've actually done my first one with egg 2 weeks ago. Not sure if it actually did anything for my hair as I braided it up right after and didn't feel too much of a difference.

Anyhoo, I read about Aphogee 2 Step and its effect of drying very hard on hair and making hair dry afterwards sounded very similar to the effects of the old brown protein gel I still have in the back of my linen closet from my relaxed days way back in the day. (Obviously, I hate throwing away products, and I rarely buy them too).

It has "hydrolyzed protein" as a main ingredient. I'm considering mixing this with a cheap conditioner and letting it sit for 10 minutes or so as a protein treatment. Does this sound crazy? Has anyone else tried something like this?

FroFab

Anything is possible, but you may want to mix your eggs with mayo and/or an overripe pureed avocado to boost the protein (if you need that much). As a natural I would caution against hardcore protein unless you know that you really need it because it can be difficult to re-moisturize and keep moisturized natural hair.

nikolite

Thanks. I had mayo w/ the egg before. I've heard about the dangers of too much protein, but I figured since I've never done it before it wouldn't hurt.

I'm currently at APL but I've been hovering at this length for a while now. I was thinking that maybe it has been breaking off at this point and protein would make a difference.