KeraCare Super Reconstructor = Wave Definition!.....

A_Christian

Before having my hair relaxed a few days ago I used KeraCare Super Reconstructor as a protein treatment. I was almost 16 weeks post-relaxer at the time and had a ton of new growth. Almost immeditaely after I began applying the product on my hair my natural wave pattern emerged beautifully. My hair was very shiny and glossy and waves that I forgot I had were all over the natural part of my hair.

Because it is a protein treatment, I think a strong one, this product should not be used as a gel, but I was wondering what it is about it that defined the waves in my new growth so well.

The ingredients are: Aqua, Collagen Amino Acids, Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium PCA, Methlyparaben, and Imidazolidinyl Urea.

The ph is 3.0

Does anyone know if any of the ingredients or the ph could be responsible for causing wave definition?

Does anyone use an actual gel that immediately brings out your natural curl/wave pattern?

Too bad this product itself is not a gel. If I was really adventurous I'd try using it as gel anyway, but I don't want to go bald because of the mis-use of a protein treatment! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Queenie

I have a protein shampoo that does this too. A friend of mine, w/natural hair, tried a different protein shampoo and also got waves. I find it interesting that these products do that. I wish that I knew why.

Queenie

The shampoo I used was Ion Mosturizing (w/the pink writing) for dry damaged hair. My friend used Kirkland protein shampoo, it's sold at Costco.

bajanplums1

Ok, I thought it was just something with my hair. Too much protein makes my hair take on a pattern too. I don't like it though.

Tracy

I've noticed this too about protein conditioners. I think the reason protein conditioners restore wave patterns to the hair, is that what makes the hair straight when you relax is the action of breaking the protein bonds in the hair. All hair, even if it's not relaxed or damaged in any way, needs protein to retain it's shape, color etc....So it's protein that makes the hair "hair", and protein is one of the only substances that can actually bond to the structure of the hair. So when you use a protein conditioner, you are adding back protein - and with it, you "bolster" all of the things that protein makes possible....including the hair's natural "shape".